Indigo compatible thermostat with humidity reading

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 am
Vig offline

Indigo compatible thermostat with humidity reading

Does anyone know of reasonably priced thermostat that can report humidity level? I found RCS TBZ70 (http://rcstechnology.wpengine.com/wp-co ... -TBZ70.pdf) but can't see anyone selling it.

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Indigo compatible thermostat with humidity reading

Depends on your definition of reasonably priced. The Ecobee line has a humidity sensor, and works with Indigo. The Ecobee 3 lite is $168 at Amazon.

Just be aware that the Indigo communicates with Ecobee via the cloud server, not directly to the thermostat.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 am
ChopOMatic offline

Vig wrote:
Does anyone know of reasonably priced thermostat that can report humidity level? I found RCS TBZ70 (http://rcstechnology.wpengine.com/wp-co ... -TBZ70.pdf) but can't see anyone selling it.

The Ecobees report humidity. I haven't checked to be sure that data point is exposed to Indigo but I suspect it is.

https://amzn.to/2L6V5NC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:43 pm
Vig offline

Thanks guys, I think I might have found one - Trane XL624 (TCONT624) - a true z-wave thermostat, although still on the pricier side... and by reasonable price I meant - if a digital hygrometer costs $10 and a basic z-wave tstat around $80, can't see how one with humidity sensor can cost almost double :)
Last edited by Vig on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Vig wrote:
Thanks guys, I think I might have found one - Trane XL624 (TCONT624) - a true z-wave thermostat, although still on the pricier side... and by reasonable price I meant - if a digital humidistat costs $10 and a basic z-wave tstat around $80, can't see how one with humidity sensor can cost almost double :)

From what I can tell, that one's about the same price as the Ecobee 3 lite.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:53 pm
Vig offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Vig wrote:
Thanks guys, I think I might have found one - Trane XL624 (TCONT624) - a true z-wave thermostat, although still on the pricier side... and by reasonable price I meant - if a digital humidistat costs $10 and a basic z-wave tstat around $80, can't see how one with humidity sensor can cost almost double :)

From what I can tell, that one's about the same price as the Ecobee 3 lite.

Correct, it is still kind of pricey, I was trying to replace my existing RCS TZ45 zwave tstat . Oh well, maybe I will just get Aeotec Multisensor and mount it in the ceiling instead.

Posted on
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:11 pm
jltnol offline

Not sure how you feel about Insteon, but this one works pretty well, and is very inexpensive. And while it can / could be a "smart thermostat", I have Indigo do all the smart stuff like scheduling and such.

https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2441th-thermostat.html

I will tell you that I've had to automate the set points... it was cycling too fast, so when the AC went on, the set point goes down 1º, and when it went off, the set point goes up 1º. Easy to implement, and it does have a humidity sensor built in!

And it connects directly to Indigo, no cloud needed.

Posted on
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:04 am
DaveL17 offline

Vig wrote:
Thanks guys, I think I might have found one - Trane XL624 (TCONT624) - a true z-wave thermostat, although still on the pricier side... and by reasonable price I meant - if a digital hygrometer costs $10 and a basic z-wave tstat around $80, can't see how one with humidity sensor can cost almost double :)

We have two of these in service and I'm generally happy with them. Two things I've seen:

1. the temperature delta seems a bit off with these. Imagine the current temperature is 73 degrees and you bump the thermostat down to 72. You'd expect that the aircon would come on, but it doesn't always. Best I can figure is that if the current temperature is actually 72.8 degrees and the unit rounds to 73 (for example), there's actually not a 1 degree delta so the unit doesn't call for service. We find we need to bump it 2 degrees to consistently get service.

2. during a recent major power event, one of the two units got into a bad state. The tstat and the z-wave data got corrupted such that the the tstat would change but the z-wave data would stay the same. Pulling the unit from the wall for a power-off reset set it right. This was apparently an isolated incident and it wouldn't stop me from buying another one of these units.

Indigo supports the humidity readings for these units natively. The units are also capable of supporting remote temperature probes for additional indoor and outdoor probes. I don't know whether the z-wave protocol handles these extra features or whether Indigo supports them.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:16 am
Vig offline

jltnol wrote:
Not sure how you feel about Insteon, but this one works pretty well, and is very inexpensive. And while it can / could be a "smart thermostat", I have Indigo do all the smart stuff like scheduling and such.

https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2441th-thermostat.html

I will tell you that I've had to automate the set points... it was cycling too fast, so when the AC went on, the set point goes down 1º, and when it went off, the set point goes up 1º. Easy to implement, and it does have a humidity sensor built in!

And it connects directly to Indigo, no cloud needed.

That is actually good to know. Thanks!!

Posted on
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can find cheaper Z-Wave multisensors with humidity than the Aeotec, though their reliability and build quality is often better.

A word of warning about Insteon thermostats, particularly if you're new to Insteon: it may take some diagnostics to get them to work reliably since Insteon can suffer dropped packets on broadcasts (like temp/humidity updates) due to signal noise and collisions. Collisions are Insteon's biggest technical issue, so things that broadcast out unsolicited messages tend to be the things that suffer most if there's any signal noise on your power lines.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1