All z-wave devices unreachable

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 am
peszko offline

All z-wave devices unreachable

Hello,

I was adding an aeotech multisensor yesterday and had some problems. It seem to have tried to sync to an existing device (I thought it was syncing to a node that was removed). After several tries, I managed to add it to indigo, but... This morning i find none of my z-wave devices respond. I tried to reset the interface, optimize, but I'm getting no ack from all of them. This is for both powered and battery devices. Any ideas how do I fix this?

HELP!

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 6:04 am
peszko offline

Re: All z-wave devices unreachable

I have removed the aeotec z stick from the computer and re-inserted, and things seem to have come back to normal. But.. when I try syncing the new aeotec multisensor, it doesn't complete says that the device might be asleep, but it is powered. It does send status updates though. What happened to make the whole z-wave network go off line? Anybody seen this before?

Posted on
Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try excluding the new Multisensor then re-include (and re-sync) it again. Does that help? Also temporarily move it near the Z-Stick to see if it is an interference/range issue.

The other issue seems like your Z-Stick locked up. Unfortunately, sometimes that happens.

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 am
peszko offline

I unplugged the z-stick and re synced and things came back to normal.

Is unplugging and re-plugging the only way to "unstick" the stick :-) Is there some command I can send from Indigo to accomplish the same?

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 4:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyway for Indigo to get it back on the right track.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 7:22 am
McJohn offline

We are using an active USB switch like this one:
https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/usb-3-0- ... 69984.html

It's connected between the Mac mini USB port and the Z-Stick.
The button of this switch is replaced with 2 wires to an X10 Universal Module Receiver.
When the Z-Stick gives errors we can “unplug” it remotely with the X10 Universal Module Receiver :D

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 am
peszko offline

Great idea. I guess I could use Insteon signal to trigger it. Does anybody knows if z-stick locks up often? This was my first time. I guess, I could have the same one for Insteon but triggered by z-wave. My insteon modem often doesn't comes back up after a reboot (I almost never reboot though).

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

peszko wrote:
Does anybody knows if z-stick locks up often?

That's not the general consensus, no.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Dual offline

I use a Wi-Fi operated smart receptacle (not controlled by Indigo) to reboot my Mac mini if required. I use Z-Wave smart receptacles to reboot my modem and router from Indigo in conjunction with the Online Sensor plugin if my internet access fails. The only way I am totally screwed is if the Indigo/mini fails and the internet fails together. Then it’s on to option 3 ... call the neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 6:58 pm
peszko offline

I really like the redundancy. I'll have to setup something like that. This is especially important when we are away for an extended period of time. It is important as indigo controls so much in my house, including heating/cooling of the house and pool and sauna. All have fail safes where they will not go beyond a certain temperature, but... I don't want to find out after a weeks vacation that my pool was 36C, my sauna at 100C and all the lights were on all week. Hydro is costly up here.

Posted on
Sat May 25, 2019 1:19 am
McJohn offline

Or when you (or some family) are coming home in the middle of the night and the Z-Wave lock won’t work anymore because the Z-Stick lost his connection….
So, redundancy is a must in a house which is totally based on home automation.

Posted on
Sat May 25, 2019 1:59 am
howartp offline

Don’t most zwave locks have a local key or code?

The zwave bit allows integration and configuration, sure, but they don’t remove the ability to use the lock as a lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat May 25, 2019 9:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

howartp wrote:
Don’t most zwave locks have a local key or code?

The zwave bit allows integration and configuration, sure, but they don’t remove the ability to use the lock as a lock.

+1. I would NEVER purchase a lock that doesn't have physical controls on it (either a keypad or a key), especially if I had no other house entry options.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2019 7:40 am
peszko offline

Same here. In general, I try to have a backup for most HA functions. I also try to make the HA to be non intrusive. A person with no knowledge of my setup, should be able to use the house as if not HA was present. Doing it this way is surprisingly more complicated to implement as you always have to account for pesky humans interrupting and overruling automatic functionality.

Posted on
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:23 am
peszko offline

I had the z-wave zstick stop responding again. this time, it has happened after the computer went to sleep. I had to disconnect it and reconnect it to make it work. I tried to stop and start z-wave interface, i restated Indigo server, but those didn't help.

No, I try to force my computer not to sleep, but can't seem to reliably prevent sleeping. I have amphetamine running, but it sometimes crashes and soon after the mac goes to sleep. And in this case, it also seemed to bring down the z-wave interface.

Could Indigo somehow prevent sleeping? It certainly makes sense for the computer that controls home automation to never sleep :-)