Indigo not tracking thermostat states

Posted on
Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 pm
dduff617 offline

Indigo not tracking thermostat states

I have tried using two different models of Z-wave thermostat so far and have had problems with getting what I would call "basic monitoring" or tracking working from Indigo. What I'm after: Indigo tracks any time the thermostat sensors change value (humidity, temperature), any time the thermostat's settings (modes, set points) are changed by the user, or any time the equipment state changes (heat or AC running).

Problem 1. Radio Thermostat CT100-plus thermostat. It seems to report temperature and humidity sensor changes and local settings changes reliably, however after a while, Indigo stops accurately tracking changes to equipment state (that is heatIsOn / coolIsOn state).

Problem 2. Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro thermostat. It seems to report equipment state changes and humidity changes reliably, but does not track temperature changes. It seems to track the changes for a while at first, but then seems to stop seeing any updates.

For both units, inclusion goes smoothly. For both units, they generally install and seem to behave fine from Indigo other than the reported problem - for example, changing set points from Indigo works reliably. I check the box in device settings that says "Enable polling of this device" and I select "Only when Activity Detected" from the pull-down menu. (I've also tried with "Enable polling" unchecked, and did not see any change in behavior).

I am wondering about the polling-related settings, because I it appears that if Indigo were to actually request status updates from the device any time it received any update (for example, when Indigo receives a humidity update, it then pulls temperature and state updates), that this might "solve" the problem. I can see from Grafana plots that the Honeywell unit gets lots of updates of Humidity value spanning long periods when Indigo records no temperature updates at all. So this would make it seem like the Indigo settings are not actually achieving what their descriptions imply - that is, that Indigo is not polling the device's other values when activity (i.e. a sensor report) is detected. Specifically, a humidity update reported from the device definitely does NOT seem to cause Indigo to request temperature values from the thermostat. Am I misunderstanding what these settings are supposed to mean?

I'm using Grafana Home Dashboard to graph data for the units. I've also tried querying the SQL Logger tables for updates and that seems to confirm what I'm seeing in Grafana.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone monitoring their z-wave thermostat and have confidence that Indigo is tracking correctly on both sensor and system status?

Posted on
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am
mwoodage offline

Re: Indigo not tracking thermostat states

Hi Dduff617,
Just interested in your post above - have you managed to get a temp sensor that provides a faultless reading?

I've beed using Fibaro Universal Sensors for my hot water cylinder and not had too much trouble - apart from having to sync them every month or so when Indigo stops reading temperatures. Recently though i've tried to use them on our hot tub, with some success - however last night the sensor read failed and the hot tub is now at 51 degrees, having been on all night because the thermostat was reading 37.2, with a topset temperature of 38 degrees.

I'm wondering if there is any way to Define / Sync the universal sensor automatically, say once a day, to keep it reading temperatures or do you know of a more reliable sensor?

Martin

Page 1 of 1