Aeotec MultiSensor 6 Gen 5 Motion Detection Speed

Posted on
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:46 am
Rjay offline

Aeotec MultiSensor 6 Gen 5 Motion Detection Speed

hey all, anyone running these and had any success changing Parameter 5 from the default value of 1 to 2? I can read that parameter but when I go change it wont allow me to.

Long story short is that supposedly this change will make the device a bit more responsive with some controllers to shorten the time between the device detecting motion and initiating the message to the controller and then firing an action such as a light coming on. I have been working with Indigo support who are very helpful but I just thought I would fire the question on here to see if anyone else has any input?

I have the basics covered like Sensitivity to max etc.

thanks

Posted on
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Aeotec MultiSensor 6 Gen 5 Motion Detection Speed

I've passed this over to Matt for further clarification.

I'm still extremely skeptical that changing the command that the device sends out when motion detection changes would have any effect on the speed at which the device actually detects motion.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the correct forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:41 pm
Rjay offline

Thanks for the move over to correct forum, I think I originally tried to use the Motion section section but realised it was read only so dropped it back in the general area.

Yeh not convinced either that it will make a lot of difference but will give it a try. Some crew on the Homeseer forum seem to think it improved things and the only other setting is the sensitivity which by default is high anyways.

I will try changing the PIR setting as well and see if that then allows me to set the other parameter.

Just for rooms like the bathroom the delay is quite noticeable as it's a short room, unlike a bedroom where you walk across it so the delay doesn't seem as prominent. Have paired a non encrypted motion sensor of the same variety to test over the weekend which I understand should at least be quicker with the messaging to the Indigo controller but shouldn't make any difference in speed of detection. Realistically though I do like the idea of encryption from a security standpoint when being applied to home automation.

I have heard the Dome motion sensors are the fastest and I might possibly look at putting one of them in to trial, although I think at the moment they aren't natively support by Indigo.

Posted on
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm
Rjay offline

Tested and looks like I change Parameter 3 and Parameter 4 just not Parameter 5 :O Attached a screenshot for reference. Hovering over the red Param Index shows;

Parameter 5 "Motion Flags" has forced a read only value and cannot be modified
Attachments
MotionSensor.jpg
MotionSensor.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 2123 times

Posted on
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 pm
Rjay offline

Yep same firmware this end and I can retrieve the value of the parameter just fine but can’t set it to the new recommended value. Other parameters I can read and set for example the sensitivity value.

How do u find the reaction speed of ur sensors and are you running encrypted or no?

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:31 am
Dual offline

Rjay wrote:
I have heard the Dome motion sensors are the fastest and I might possibly look at putting one of them in to trial, although I think at the moment they aren't natively support by Indigo.

I have a dozen in use. With the magnets I can easily stick then on the ceiling attached to my steel air vents. No screws or tape. Nice. I use them with Match Raw Packet. I have no idea if they are any faster than others. How would I test it for you? I could put it in a room aimed across the doorway. Set a trigger to turn on a receptacle attached to a light. And see how far I get before the light comes on? How would I know if the delay is due to the sensor or the receptacle or general network traffic? Perhaps testing it with a trigger whereby the only action is to have the Mac speak a word would be the fastest action possible and isolate the motion detector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:09 am
Rjay offline

thanks @Dual .Thanks for the offer of assistance. My main use case is walk into a room it detects motion and a lights comes on. Do you any setup this way and what would you say the delay is in seconds before a light comes on? Also are your Domes paired with or without encryption?

Yeh I had read the match Raw Packet thread about the Domes but I figure I will just until they are fully supported and if at that point I am still finding the lag of the current devices too much I might place these as a secondary in the large rooms and replace the bathroom ones. I have a reasonable relationship with my ZWave vendor so shouldn't be a problem to get a couple to test. I was mainly going on various discussions I had seen regarding the Aeotec, Fibaro and Dome motion sensors on a few of the Homeseer/Reddit threads and its seems ppl came ot the conclusion they seem the quickest to respond.

I really like the Aeotecs, I have a bunch of them and the addition of temp and humidity sensors is great if you want to fire up extraction fans in wet areas or turn on / off airconditioning. but yeh it does seem there is some lag between me entering a room, it detecting and the light coming on. Sometimes it is 1-1.5 seconds which for me is acceptable but it often lags beyond that and in a small room its too long as by then you are either walking into something. Mainly just want to test this attribute to verify if any difference in speed and if so happy to stick with them other wise might look at other options.

Posted on
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think the reason that Indigo won't allow a change to that param is because it will break the sensor in Indigo because (as illustrated in lanbrown's doc excerpt above) it changes the message that's sent to Indigo when motion is detected (or stops detecting), and changing that would break it in Indigo because we're not expecting the alternate command.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:54 pm
Rjay offline

jay (support) wrote:
I think the reason that Indigo won't allow a change to that param is because it will break the sensor in Indigo because (as illustrated in lanbrown's doc excerpt above) it changes the message that's sent to Indigo when motion is detected (or stops detecting), and changing that would break it in Indigo because we're not expecting the alternate command.

No problems, that makes sense.

Posted on
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm
Rjay offline

One encrypted and one not. It is actually best not to use encryption as at times I see a report where the decryption failed and thus the module doesn't report. Aeotec still has some work to do to get encryption fully working; at least that is my opinion. I enabled it on a lot of devices only later to have to remove them and add them back in as things weren't working.

I don't see how changing parameter 5 would do anything that you're looking for.

Code: Select all
 5 (0x05) Which command would be sent when the motion sensor triggered.
1 = send Basic Set CC.
2 = send Sensor Binary Report CC.

All you doing is changing how things are reported, not when. My use for my two sensors is not to turn a light on for motion, but the opposite, the lack of it for X amount of times means the lights and fans go off for one the one that handles the back porch. The other is used for temp and if an enclosure is opened. It being opened would either trigger lux or motion. The temp controls fans in the enclosure. The manufacturer of the enclosure thinks the fans should shut off at 78 degrees. So that would mean the fans would run like 9 months of the year non-stop then. The equipment in the enclosure can handle operating at 140 to 165 degrees, so no need to think 78 should be a shut off point; the shutoff point is 100.

Yep am hearing pretty regularly from the Indigo crew that encryption isn't recommended. Unfortunately being a home automation system and being security conscious the encryption element is quite appealing to me. I do find now that I have most equipment added encrypted it mostly seems pretty reliable, I do find occasionally certain actions do have the decryption issues you speak of at this point in mainly seems to be only the Aeotec Quadmote's long press that I can repeatedly recreate an decyption issue with. Do we know for sure it is Aeotec's firmware/implementation of the standard? Not to doubt the controller I just haven't verified seeing the problems previously myself during other testing so would have go back and readded them in a secure manner to a Homeseer instance to verify.

yeh wasn't expecting massive change from that parameter change and assumed the only speed increase would be from the fact whatever it changed the report to could be easily or quicker to analyse from some controllers possibly. ahhh k some pretty interesting uses for them for sure!

Posted on
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:05 pm
Rjay offline

As an update, over the weekend I have now migrated 90% of my ZWave items over to Indigo from Vera and the speed of the motion sensors in most of the locations has drastically increased. Not sure at all why but they now seem to be pretty darn responsive :?: :!: :?: :? :shock:

Posted on
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 am
Rjay offline

{quote} Aeotec module and Aeotec Z-wave Gen5 stick. So in the end, it would be Aeotec firmware.[/quote]

Makes sense :) I might hit them up with some of the repeatable errors in the log.

Page 1 of 1