Kwickset Zwave Lock error

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 pm
OldSchool offline

Kwickset Zwave Lock error

I am very new to Indigo, in the process of migrating from an ISY system.
I have Zwave locks that worked correctly with the ISY, however I am unable to get them working with Indigo. My setup is:

Zooz ZST10 S2 Zwave controller
Weiser Smartcode 10 Zwave deadbolt - Weiser is the Canadian brand for Kwikset. It is the same unit as the Kwikset 914TRL Zwave deadbolt.

When I run the inclusion process with encryption the following error occurs:
Z-Wave Error encrypted command received from node ID 008 has invalid CBC-MAC value (ignoring)

The device status is:
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:08:28 PM
Z-Wave Indigo Device "008 - SmartCode Lock" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2.0.119
Node ID: 8
Model: SmartCode Lock
Model ID: 00010001
Manufacturer: Kwikset
Manufacturer ID: 0090
Protocol Version: 3.67
Application Version: 3.37
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 6
Class Name: Keypad Door Lock
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 40 : 03
Command Class Base: 62
Command Versions: 20v1 62v1 63v1 86v1 98v1 72v1
Encryption Status: Supported but not Enabled
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, beaming, security, frequentWaking
Neighbors: 1
Associations: - none -
Config Values: - none -

I have tried including / excluding the deadbolts several times, always with the same result. Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:19 pm
Dual offline

Re: Kwickset Zwave Lock error

I have a Kwikset 910. AEOTEC Z-Stick Gen5. Working well with Indigo and the Z-Wave Lock Manager plugin.

You do say you have tried including with encryption which is correct. I had to have encryption enabled as well. I had to do the include with my MBP and Z-Stick very close to the lock to get it to work right.

When I double click on the door lock in Indigo, then select Edit Device Settings, then select Write Device Details to Log I get the following in the log:

Code: Select all
Node ID: 27
Protocol Version: 3.67
Application Version: 3.37
Library Type: 6
Command Versions: 80v1 85v1 86v1 8Bv1 4Cv1 4Ev1 98v1 5Dv1 20v1 62v1 63v1 70v1 71v1 72v1 75v1
Encryption Status: Enabled for Commands 80 20 62 63 85 86 8B 4C 4E 70 71 72 75 98 5D
Features: routing, battery, beaming, security, frequentWaking
Neighbors: 19, 24, 28
Associations: 1:[1]

Similar to yours. Except for encryption. Door locks are very finicky about the distance to your controller. I suggest you exclude. Then take your Mac to your door ... within 6 feet. Then try the encrypted include again. If that fails, then do an exclude, include without encryption, then exclude, then include with encryption. All while having you Mac very near your door lock.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:51 pm
jalves offline

Dual wrote:
Similar to yours. Except for encryption. Door locks are very finicky about the distance to your controller. I suggest you exclude. Then take your Mac to your door ... within 6 feet. Then try the encrypted include again. If that fails, then do an exclude, include without encryption, then exclude, then include with encryption. All while having you Mac very near your door lock.

I actually found it easiest to disassemble the door lock and bring it to my (desktop) computer to do the include it in my Z-wave network. ;)

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Dual offline

jalves wrote:
I actually found it easiest to disassemble the door lock and bring it to my (desktop) computer to do the include it in my Z-wave network. ;)

I am currently using a MBP. Even easier than disassembling the lock. ;)

Though for other users your point is well taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:35 pm
OldSchool offline

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I did in fact remove the lock and place it next to the mac.
I tried excluding/including as suggested, same result. I'm starting to think my problem might be with the Zooz wave stick.
Maybe switching to the Gen 5 would solve the problem.

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Normally when this occurs (module includes/syncs but doesn't show encryption enabled for any commands) it is because it isn't completely excluded before it is included with encryption.

Posted on
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:11 pm
OldSchool offline

The problem is solved, it looks like the Zooz zwave stick was the issue.
I bought an Aeotec Gen 5, excluded the lock using the Zooz and then switched to the Gen 5. I then included the lock with encryption, worked perfectly first time.
The Zooz apparently supports S2 encryption, could that in any way be related to the problem with including the lock - which I'm assuming does not support S2 because it is an older model?

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:25 pm
roquej offline

I was getting encryption errors on my Kwikset lock and decided to exclude it and re-include it. However, I am now getting:

Z-Wave starting encryption key exchange with module
Z-Wave Error encrypted command received from node ID 144 has invalid CBC-MAC value (ignoring)

I have excluded it half a dozen times and removed anything associated with the device (e.g., action groups, triggers, etc.) nothing left.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

JP

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Exclude the lock. Resync the devices that are physically between the Z-Wave interface and the lock, starting with the closest to the Z-Wave interface and working your way out towards the lock. Then try to include your lock again. I don't know that it will help, but it can't hurt.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:41 pm
roquej offline

Jay - thanks, but I have done all that already. Even took the lock from the door and placed less than 18" away from the Indigo machine (mac mini).

Also tried reinstalling 7.2 in case something got corrupted and that now had this error:

Z-Wave controller included module: 147 - Keypad Door Lock
Z-Wave querying module for encryption support
Z-Wave module does not support encryption (sync will continue without encryption)

Only two reasons left - the lock went bad or Mojave is not playing nice with the encryption.

Thoughts?

JP

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roquej wrote:
Mojave is not playing nice with the encryption.

Highly unlikely - Mojave knows nothing about Z-Wave since no Z-Wave is communicated via Mojave (only serial commands sent to the Z-Wave interface, none of which are encrypted).

Maybe the lock, possibly the Z-Wave interface.

What interface are you using?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm
roquej offline

Jay - something funny is going on. Before I went out and purchased a new lock, I tried the following:

FYI - I am using the UZB1, which has been rock solid for 3 years now. It has the latest firmware.

1. Installed Z-Way software on a spare raspberry and proceeded to include the lock, which it did without any issues. Well, the lock worked perfectly - open and closed without a problem.

2, Moved the UZB1 to the indigo machine and synced it. No luck still has the same problem.

At this stage, it seems something with Indigo. This is the log info:

Node ID: 150
Protocol Version: 3.28
Application Version: 2.06
Library Type: 3
Command Versions: 20v1 62v1 63v1 86v1 98v1 72v1
Encryption Status: Supported but not Enabled
Features: routing, beaming, security, frequentWaking
Neighbors: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 41, 44, 45, 46, 47, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 56, 58, 59, 60, 63, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 71, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 82, 84, 85, 121, 123, 124, 125, 130
Associations: - none -

JP

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Those steps won't work because the encryption key is stored by the software. That is, Indigo doesn't know what encryption key was generated and used by the rPi. Excluding it and re-including it with encryption in Indigo should work. I wonder if it isn't fully resetting when you do the exclude. Does the manual have any additional steps to perform a complete factory reset?

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 pm
roquej offline

Did a factory reset of the lock, per the manual:

1. Remove the batteries
2. Press and hold the lock button on the keypad
3. Place the batteries back in (while still holding the button)
4. The lock will beep three times over the course of 15 seconds or so. After the 3rd beep release the button.

Then tried again, and now getting:

Z-Wave querying module for encryption support
Z-Wave Error send "150 - Keypad Door Lock" requestSecuritySchemes command failed (module might be asleep, or is unreachable)
Z-Wave stopped controller inclusion mode

The lock is 18" from the Indigo server.

If the lock configured flawlessly with z-way and after excluding it, doing a factory reset, still doesn't work with Indigo, doesn't that points to something going on with our much-loved software?

JP

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

But hadn't you included it before and it was working?

In the log above Indigo is sending it a command and it isn't responding. Normally that is because of a range issue. I know you moved it to the Mac before, but was the above steps done with it next to the Mac (Z-Wave controller)? Nevermind that part, I just re-read and saw you did it next to your Mac.

I'm not sure what is going wrong, but if it was working before and stopped working that hints that it isn't an Indigo specific problem (and we have lots of others using these locks). I wonder if it could be a USB problem. Have you tried using different USB ports? Try it in a USB hub as well.