Recommended multi-tap scene switches and dimmers

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:31 pm
Espressomatic offline

Recommended multi-tap scene switches and dimmers

UPDATE as of Jan 2 2020.

Zooz ZEN26 On/Off Switch
Zooz ZEN27 Dimmer Switch
Zooz ZEN30 Dimmer + On/Off Switch (dual, supports two loads)

Inovelli LZW30-SN On/Off Switch
Inovelli LZW31-SN Dimmer Switch
Inovelli Fan Switches - coming later in 2020

- they all feature scene control including press+hold and multi-tap from 2 to 5 times for each paddle direction.

Original Post:
Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm only finding threads covering Homeseer at the moment. I have a couple of Homeseer + products but want to get rid of them.

So I'm looking for other brands that support multi-tap and long-press actions. They don't have to have built-in scene controller capability as I'll be using Indigo for all triggering.

Long story short, Homeseer wants $29 for a firmware update tool so the customer can try to remedy their software bugs. They also encrypt their firmware so it can't be updated with other software. They're afraid their changes to the stock firmware on their OEM Chinese Z-wave switches will be copied by other manufacturers. So I'm hopeful some of you guys know some of these other manufacturers using the same hardware.
Last edited by Espressomatic on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Recommend multi-tap/hold switch and dimmer? (Not Homese

I'm curious as to which models you have had problems with. I've had good luck with both the WD200+ and WS200+.

Posted on
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I also have a couple of WS/D100's which seem to work very reliably.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 pm
jltnol offline

You might consider Intsteon Keypad Links... while not 100% perfect, they may do what you need. I've got several and LOVE the ability to customize what the do, and the ability to used custom etched labels.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 am
DaveL17 offline

matt (support) wrote:
I'm curious as to which models you have had problems with. I've had good luck with both the WD200+ and WS200+.

jay (support) wrote:
I also have a couple of WS/D100's which seem to work very reliably.

I have one of the Dragon WD-100+ (which is the HomeSeer hardware with a different firmware than the HS models) and it too has worked flawlessly, and I will probably migrate to the HomeSeer WD-200+ switches when the time comes. My remaining in-wall switches are Leviton units that don't support long press or multi-press features.

I typically don't update the firmware on any of my Z-Wave devices unless there's a compelling reason to do it. If it does what it says on the tin, and there hasn't been a killer feature added or significant bug addressed, I leave it alone.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:36 pm
Espressomatic offline

The dimmer has poor dimming range with the bulbs I use and they've added the ability to adjust the dimming range. They did this in a firmware version released before I bought the switch from them, but the switch came with an older firmware nonetheless. As it stands, the effective dimming range of the bulbs sits somewhere between 8 and 30-40% - that takes the bulbs from off to full brightness which is a right pain.

For the longest time they were releasing firmware updates that could only be installed if you were a customer using their control software. Then they made a firmware update tool and charge $30 for it, bundling it with other vendors' freely available firmware files along with their own. That doesn't sit right with me. The switch was $50 and is missing a crucial feature which they addressed before selling it to me.

The act of encrypting their firmware to prevent it from being used with other people's Z-Wave software is also another practise I don't want to support financially going forward.

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:54 am
peszko offline

I just added several Homeseer HS-WD200+ and HS+WS200+ to my network, and so far no issues. The switchers themselves look well made and work as advertised (way better for me then the Insteon equivalents so far) Also, $30 doesn't seem to be that bad, since its a tool that can be used for multiple switches. As to encrypting the firmware, it seems to me a good idea as well to help make sure that what the user installs is really coming from Homeseer. I do agree that they should make the tool and firmware free, but... Personally I gave up fighting these kind of things.

Posted on
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have to say I don't mind either. It's a nominal charge for a tool that they otherwise wouldn't really have to provide (many hardware vendors don't allow firmware updates at all).

And, aside from the security issue mentioned by @peszko which is important, I also have no problem with them protecting their Intellectual Property by encrypting it. I'm sure they spent a ton of time and resources developing it. If anyone could just buy the OEM version of the switch (which is undoubtedly cheaper) and upload HS firmware to it then they wouldn't be getting compensated for their work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:14 pm
peszko offline

jay (support) wrote:
I also have no problem with them protecting their Intellectual Property by encrypting it.

Being a developer my self, I agree with this as well. I not only don't mind paying for software, I actually prefer paid software since this ensures continued development and (usually) higher level of effort from developers.

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:52 am
Espressomatic offline

I've been a software designer and developer for over 20 years. The thought of charging my customers for a bug fix is absurd. But this is also besides the point, because I'm not a Homeseer software customer - they sold me a faulty appliance. I generally make it a rule not to purchase products that are not easily field upgradeable by the customer.

What I honestly should have done was return the switches and get a refund as soon as I discovered they were charging for a fix. Technically, as I paid with PayPal I can still do this for a few more months.

In terms of build quality and performance, Zooz switches are my favorite. They just don't do any central scene stuff.

But I didn't post to argue the merits of the business practises. Unfortunately I made a mistake buying the switches and now I'm looking for an alternative. The mistake is wholly on me because I already knew Homeseer's business was sketchy and incompatible with my views as both a developer and consumer, which is why I didn't go down their controller path and chose Indigo instead in the first place.

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 am
peszko offline

Just to clarify my position a bit. Yes believe that bug fixes should be free, but feature updates is a different story. But as I also said, I don't fight those things anymore. I can't win anyway. I evaluate my needs, what the technology/product/service can offer at what price and make my choices accordingly. Hence, my migration from Insteon o z-wave. In the end there is no prefect product, service or company. There is always a compromise. As to field upgradable switches and other small devices, I don't know of too many that even have this possibility.

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:45 am
Espressomatic offline

Zooz listened and took my multiple suggestions. The newer Zooz ZEN26 (Relay Switch), ZEN27 (Dimmer) and ZEN30 Dimmer + Switch (dual loads) all have scene control, with at least 10 or 11 scene commands, including HOLD and taps from 1 to 5 for each paddle direction.

I honestly can't recommend Zooz products enough. Just absolutely great value, usability and service.

These switches are better built than Homeseer's in many ways, cheaper, better dimming range, great button sensitivity, clear and well written/illustrated instructions, insanely configurable, free firmware updates with OTA firmware flashing support on all newer products (free updater app), super responsive and courteous customer support.

Homeseer can get stuffed, can't recommend their brand or products, nor shady business practises.

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:48 pm
brettlid offline

Hands down, try Inovelli. Just started using them best switches I've found so far. Plus you can skip the neutral wire if you need. They also support scenes and have a cool LED.

https://inovelli.com/zwave-switches/

Brett

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:56 pm
DaveL17 offline

brettlid wrote:
Hands down, try Inovelli. Just started using them best switches I've found so far. Plus you can skip the neutral wire if you need. They also support scenes and have a cool LED.

https://inovelli.com/zwave-switches/

Brett

I was just looking at those today, in fact. A bonus is that they're about 20% less than the Homeseer switches.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 pm
Espressomatic offline

When I originally posted, none of these guys had scene control, happy to see that feature spreading.

The really cool feature of the Inovelli red switches is that they have a small EXTRA scene button on the top right of the assembly. This means in addition to the multi-tap and hold scene commands, this little button can be used to trigger an additional scene - great for people in the house who can't or won't remember the taps. The larger RGB programmable LED is also a great indicator for whatever you want.

The Inovelli are made in the same factory as Zooz and it wouldn't surprise me that someone there also does the Homeseer stuff (those guys write iffy software, they don't make their own hardware). Some of the switches share the same technology (older 3-way). Each company does their own tweaks to the firmware and features. Zooz can generally be bought for less $$ especially during sale times like around Black Friday or Christmas and New Year (right now).