Recommended multi-tap scene switches and dimmers

Posted on
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:43 am
Espressomatic offline

Re: Recommended multi-tap scene switches and dimmers

Updated thread title and first post to include the new Inovelli switches.

Posted on
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Recommend multi-tap/hold switch and dimmer? (Not Homese

brettlid wrote:
Hands down, try Inovelli. Just started using them best switches I've found so far. Plus you can skip the neutral wire if you need. They also support scenes and have a cool LED.

https://inovelli.com/zwave-switches/

Brett

I must admit that these may be my new favorite switches. Be sure to get the Gen 2 model (Inovelli switched manufacturers due to quality control issues apparently). I bought the Red Series Dimmer Switch. The build quality seems excellent and the switch feels substantial (the mounting plate/heat sink is thick metal). The switch is *silent*--turning it on and off makes zero sound as far as I can tell. I tried it with a random LED bulb and my initial tests show that the dimming range would need to be adjusted (or a dummy load/bypass used) as dimming to 40% leaves the bulb at about 5 or 10%. Indigo doesn't yet have a device definition for these, but it does recognize a lot of features through Z-Wave.

Thumbs up on these so far.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:47 pm
nathan_inovelli offline

Thanks for the recommendation! I will say each LED bulb is different so you may need to play with the configuration settings to get your 40% dim to be your new 0%. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nathan
CSO | Inovelli

Posted on
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm
DaveL17 offline

Oh, definitely not a slag on the Inovelli hardware.

It would be great if it were otherwise, but dimmable LEDs are complicated. I have some Lutron dimmers that can pretty much only be used with approved bulbs.

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2022 8:20 pm
hamw offline

Looking to move more to Z Wave. You all still think that Inovelli is the way to go? Interesting to hear about the scene buttons --- I love my Indigo powerlinc scenes -- for instance I have a great room with 6 dimmers, and can double tap each one to instantly change the scene from all on to cocktails to sports party for movies, all dim, etc. . Would the inovelli do something like that if I had multiple dimmers in one gang?

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue May 17, 2022 5:28 am
DaveL17 offline

In my opinion, absolutely. I have been extremely happy with all of my Inovelli devices. The dimmers are rock solid and well made. Using the multi-tap functionality of the switches along with Associations or Indigo logic will be able to replicate your situation no problem. The Red Series dimmers can control up to 15 different scenes IIRC.

They are somewhat hard to come by right now because of the supply chain issues with Z-Wave chips, but IMO worth the wait.

Posted on
Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 pm
hamw offline

So you think they are as snappy in their response as the Insteon? In other words tap for a scene and all the dimmers sim themselves or raise simultaneously?

Also, I read about the scene controllers. I take it with these dimmers I do not need a scene controller? And also they can control more than five things at once? I looked at howardTP’s Z wave scene controller plug-in… It appears to only control five devices. What suggestion would you have for controlling six devices?

Posted on
Tue May 17, 2022 2:16 pm
DaveL17 offline

Someone else is going to have to take over as I'm not able to answer the bulk of your questions. I've never used Insteon, so I can't compare that to Z-Wave. Nor do I use associations. Instead, I use multi-taps to fire Indigo Actions and rely on Indigo to make all the necessary adjustments. The actions Indigo takes are synchronous not simultaneous.

Secondary controllers would most likely not be needed. My sense is that few people use secondary controllers with Indigo, but that's just a guess.

Posted on
Tue May 17, 2022 3:20 pm
howartp offline

My plugin controls as many devices as you’d like.

The figure of 5 is if you want up to 5 remotes running the same set of triggers.

Personally I have 2 “ZRC Remotecs” in my bedroom- one by the door and one by my bed - doing the same thing, but I added up to five to give folk the freedom.

As with Dave, I’ve never used Insteon or bothered with Associations. Everything fires actions in Indigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 12:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I do still recommend Inovelli switches - the notification feature has become critical for our household.

For scene controllers, I have recently gotten a Zooz ZEN32, and it seems quite capable though I haven't yet installed it in-wall (so it's only on my testing bench).

The newer devices seem to support associations both for basic (on/off) functionality and for multi-level (dimming) functionality. That's what you'd need to watch for when looking at a device that will control other devices via associations. The ZEN32 will control other devices via associations for both on/off and dimming. I have not done any direct associations on it, but the docs say it does them.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat May 21, 2022 8:21 am
hamw offline

Just looked on Amazon… these are $95. Does that seem right? Or is that shortage pricing?

Other recommendations for reliable z-wave switches?

Posted on
Sat May 21, 2022 9:01 am
DaveL17 offline

hamw wrote:
Just looked on Amazon… these are $95. Does that seem right? Or is that shortage pricing?

Other recommendations for reliable z-wave switches?

No, that's scalper pricing. IIRC, they're something like $49 from Inovelli direct (when they have them).

Posted on
Sat May 21, 2022 10:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you're talking about the ZEN32, looks like they are available on Amazon for $40.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn