Z-Wave Newb question

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:35 pm
Martin Joseph offline

Z-Wave Newb question

I have take the plunge into Z-wave with the purchase of the Aeontec Zstick Gen5 and a Smart Dimmer6 which is a plug-in (Wallwart) Lamp dimmer.

I don't see this device listed as supported, so apologies if my expectations where too high (LOL you spoil us).

Actually the news is mostly good. I was able to plug in the Zstick and configure that, and I used a USB extension cable to move it to a place where it can talk to the dimmer outlet.

When I include the new device though, I see 3 things showing up in Indigo under devices?

Three separate devices called Mulitlevel Switch -1, Multilevel switch -2 and Multilevel Switch-3

I don't see why this is, but perhaps I am doing something dumb.

I can control the dimmer from Multilevel Switch -1, which works. If I attempt to delete either of the others, they all go away.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:32 am
mat offline

Re: Z-Wave Newb question

I probably wont explain this as well as others but here goes.

Z-wave modules can contain more than one "device" for each address. For instance the Fabaro LED controller creates 5 devices on the same address, one for each of green, blue, red, white and RGBW. This gives you control over the various channels.

I suspect the same is true of your module, device one is probably the power to the dimmer. I'm not sure what the the following two devices are for that module, but you can explore them via the edit tab. One may be control of the LED colour or power management...... Deleting one "device" will delete all of them, as they are one and the same module.

I have a separate folder with unused devices in it, just to keep those that I don't use out of the way.

Cheers

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Page 1 of 1