Recommend Zwave Wall Dimmer Switch?

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Recommend Zwave Wall Dimmer Switch?

I’ve come across some great deals on Zwave wall switches that work fine with Indigo control but unfortunately don’t
report their status when operated locally.

Maybe someone could recommend one that definitely does report correctly to Indigo?
A double-tap capability would be a plus.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Recommend Zwave Wall Dimmer Switch?

I recommend the HomeSeer switches. They have a nice feature set including multiple tap support. Full support for the 100+ line is already in Indigo, and the ability to catch all 5 taps and set the LED color and behavior (among other settings) of the 200+ switches is coming in 7.2 (basic operation is already there). Matt has just installed a bunch of these and seems quite pleased with them. I have several of both the 100 and 200 lines and I like them almost as much as I do the Insteon switches (and I like them better in some respects).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks a bunch. The $20 switches have been very reliable but I do need key switches to function as controllers.

Carl

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 pm
TwitchCaptain offline

I second the HomeSeer Switches.

Posted on
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:40 pm
7rdr7 offline

Agree on Homeseer, I've tried most switch vendors, Homeseer seems the best, feature support and firmware updates. Already have the WD-200 switches and using the colored status lights to monitor door/garage door status on Indigo 7.1. Works great!

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:25 pm
t-star offline

Looking for some help. I just installed a HS-WD200+ I did the inclusion with encryption but not sure it worked properly. I didn't get the long message that I think I usually get.
I have no idea how to trigger it to go into exclusion mode to into inclusion mode again. I can pick the node in creating a new device but it won't synch.

Any ideas? 7rdr7 said that he had them installed already. hoping for some help here.

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

t-star wrote:
Looking for some help. I just installed a HS-WD200+ I did the inclusion with encryption but not sure it worked properly. I didn't get the long message that I think I usually get.
I have no idea how to trigger it to go into exclusion mode to into inclusion mode again. I can pick the node in creating a new device but it won't synch.

Any ideas? 7rdr7 said that he had them installed already. hoping for some help here.

Any reason why you included it with encryption? It doesn't really help anything, and it's likely to make it somewhat slower.

I have a couple and Matt has a lot and we haven't had any issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:37 pm
t-star offline

jay (support) wrote:
t-star wrote:

Any reason why you included it with encryption? It doesn't really help anything, and it's likely to make it somewhat slower.

I have a couple and Matt has a lot and we haven't had any issues.

Habit. The first z-wave devices I got were locks. Any idea how to get it undone and re-include?

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:56 pm
t-star offline

thanks. I tried that earlier and it didn't work. I guess having been away from it for a little while helped. I tried it again and it seemed to work. I re-included without encryption and synched fine.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:07 pm
peszko offline

I tried including with encryption, (no specific reason), it failed. I tried excluding, but what do I press on the switch after I start exclusion in Indigo? Manual for the switch HS-ws200+ has nothing on exclusion. Any help?

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:34 pm
peszko offline

I found it. Turn the switch on then off. Why couldn't they put it in the manual. BTW, why does indigo not support encryption for the switches? I'm new to zwave, but wouldn't encryption be safer? If somebody had access to send z-wave signals in to my system, they could do quite a lot of damage.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:49 pm
peszko offline

The switch supports it and can be included in the z-wave network with encryption, Indigo has a problem synchronizing it. Homeseer's own software can work with encryption turned on.

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We haven't tried including the HS-WD200 or HS-WS200 with encryption in Indigo yet. Indigo definitely does support encryption, but there might be issues with a particular module's implementation that causes it to not work. We highly recommend, however, only using encryption for modules when it is really needed. So yes for locks and garage door controllers but not for light switches. The encryption protocol is significantly more complicated and requires several commands to be sent for every action. This increases the odds of collisions/congestion as well as hitting various firmware bugs in the module (and/or Z-Wave protocol stack).

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:37 pm
t-star offline

I did try the HS-WD200+ and did not have much luck with the encryption on. See messages above. Went back to non-encrypted.

Posted on
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:30 am
peszko offline

Mat, thank you for explaining. I'm ok using the switches without encryption if it causes other issues. Currently, I have only three z-wave devices and about 150 insteon. I'm slowly switching from insteon to z-wave due to stability issues I encountered. So stability and reliability is very important to me. Would you know at what point, would the extra z-wave traffic start being a problem?