Ring Alarm Support?

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:05 pm
Venicenerd offline

Ring Alarm Support?

So Ring just released the DIY alarm system:
https://shop.ring.com/pages/security-system

It uses the Z-Wave protocol so I’m wondering if it will be possible to a) expose all of its sensors to Indigo and b) if the Hub itself can be added so that Indigo can arm/disarm the system. My end goal would be to run this through Indigo with the HomeBridge plugin so that I can arm the system from the Home App and have all the sensors exposed for home automation as well.

I contactacted Ring Support on Twitter and got the following reply:
“Thanks for asking, Philipp. No plans for HomeKit at this time, but Ring Alarm utilizes Z-Wave and can be integrated with other Z-Wave devices.”

“Hey, Philipp! Although you may be able to add Ring Alarm components to a Z-Wave Hub, we cannot guarantee their functionality with any hub besides our Ring Alarm Base Station.”

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Philipp

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:29 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Ring Alarm Support?

Without actually having one, I'm going to have to make some educated guesses:

1. To include their Z-Wave devices to Indigo, they would have to be excluded from their security hub, which seems to negate it's usefulness (you could just buy Z-Wave sensors and to it yourself in Indigo).
  2. If Ring produces an API to talk to their Hub then it would be possible to write a plugin (or update the existing Ring plugin) to talk to it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:23 pm
Venicenerd offline

Thanks guys! I’m still waiting for the promised HomeKit support from Ring so I’m not holding my breath on an API from them. :/

Is it actually possible to build your own alarm system with sensors and a z-wave alarm or something?

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Venicenerd wrote:
Is it actually possible to build your own alarm system with sensors and a z-wave alarm or something?

This wiki post gives some pointers in that direction.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm
Venicenerd offline

Awesome, thanks. Hopefully Ring will release an API soon. It seems like great alarm system.

Posted on
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:28 am
Dual offline

I am looking for a Z-Wave alarm keypad to use with Indigo and I am struggling to find one. Has anybody tried the Ring Alarm Keypad (available on Amazon for 49.99)? According to the response from Ring above it should be able to work with other Z-Wave controllers.

If not Ring, then what alarm keypads are available?

Cheers

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:35 pm
Dual offline

Ring keypad on order. Ring contact sensors as well. I will play with both. If they don’t work then back in the box and back to Amazon. Start tuned.

Posted on
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 pm
Dual offline

lanbrown wrote:
If they don't work, might as well as submit the profile information so Matt and Jay could add support in a future release.

That's the plan. I have already submitted several Device Reports for the devices I have purchased off Amazon that are currently unsupported. Three I am keeping and a couple I am sending back to Amazon. I have three of them working compliments of Matt's tip re using Match Raw Packet. I have the HAOZEE Contact Sensor, the DOME Motion Sensor and the ZLINK ZL-PA-100 Power Plug working using Match Raw Packet.

Cheers

John

Posted on
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 pm
whmoorejr offline

Dual wrote:
Ring keypad on order. Ring contact sensors as well. I will play with both. If they don’t work then back in the box and back to Amazon. Start tuned.

Any success with the ring keypad?

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 pm
Dual offline

I reverse engineered it to some extent. I can detect any button push (10 numeric, X, check and 3 modes for 15 total) using raw commands. I can send any one of 8 different raw commands as per attached screenshot for the panel to “speak” or make noises (built in). Image

Posted on
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:07 pm
whmoorejr offline

Dual wrote:
I can send any one of 8 different raw commands as per attached screenshot for the panel to “speak” or make noises (built in). Image

Do you mind sharing the raw commands for those functions? I looked at the data sheet (https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2668/configs)for the keypad, it doesn't appear that you can achieve the lights/sounds by changing parameters.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 pm
Dual offline

I will add them to Jay's post.

Page 1 of 1