Heater seems to have turned on itself?!

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 2:53 am
noel1983 offline

Heater seems to have turned on itself?!

Hi all,
Slightly worrying one this, went downstairs this morning to find our conservatory fan heater was on. Its a normal plug in heater that's plugged into a TKB Zwave plug in switch.

Only thing in the logs relating to the heater is

20 May 2018, 08:17:40
Z-Wave received "Conservatory Heater" status update is on

There was no one in the room with it and its in a position that would be almost impossible for the cats to somehow press the button. Unless they were cold and wanted heat and actively went and pushed the switch of course!!

So 2 questions.

1 - Is there anyway in Indigo I can check to see everywhere a device has an action against it in various triggers etc rather than me looking through them all manually

2 - How do you handle potentially dangerous automations like a fan heater turning itself on. Naturally i'm thinking a push notification when its turned on as an alert that I can simply ignore when its genuine but wondered if any other things I should think about?

I'm assuming that after the event there's no more logs available to me

Cheers all

Noel

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 am
Colly offline

Re: Heater seems to have turned on itself?!

One way is to start the delete process, once selected it will give you a warning that the device is associated with Triggers, Actions, Control Pages etc.. Just don't complete the process. :wink:

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 am
noel1983 offline

Cheers will have a look, I’m 99% sure it’s not included in anything
Bit odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 am
autolog offline

:idea: What would be very useful is if Indigo stated the source of the request when a device is turned on or off etc. :)

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 11:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colly wrote:
One way is to start the delete process, once selected it will give you a warning that the device is associated with Triggers, Actions, Control Pages etc.. Just don't complete the process. :wink:

Or just right click the device and select Show Dependencies... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 11:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
:idea: What would be very useful is if Indigo stated the source of the request when a device is turned on or off etc. :)

It does - the trigger, schedule, or action group execution that performs the action is logged. Given the above log without anything else before it would seem to indicate that something else caused the device to turn on - manually, via a Z-Wave association (which we wouldn't necessarily know about). Those types of things are only known from Indigo's perspective when the device reports a status change and we would have no idea what caused it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 11:34 am
mat offline

I've had similar a few times. I'm am certain its me with spurious triggers rather than indigo, but tracking them down is a little tricky sometimes. (I had a projector turning on at random times recently - there was a delayed action in the off trigger that turned it back on).

I used the delete method, but obviously didn't complete it. It does narrow down the search, but its an interesting situation as we got more devices! Perhaps a request for matt and jay, the device details could include the the trigger or action name last processed for the device...

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 11:37 am
mat offline

Sorry Jay, we posted almost at the same time - I've had the same and its not always clear from the log.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm
Colly offline

jay (support) wrote:
Colly wrote:

Or just right click the device and select Show Dependencies... ;)

I've never done anything the easy way, so why start now?? :roll:

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm
noel1983 offline

Thanks all, great to know re dependencies.

My hunch here is that it was a local glitch i.e. nothing to do with Indigo. There was no one in the room, so I suspect some kind of device oddness/surge that tripped it on maybe.

Does make me think about maybe having some pushover alerts on certain key devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm
mat offline

Anything to do with heat or "wear and tear" as two separate topics I try to build in a warning

Ie - hourly texts that the sauna is on, 3 hour texts to say the projector is on etc, and I turn the fan heater off twice after 10 minutes, and 10 minutes and 5 seconds. - I will eventually look at monitoring the power socket for the heater to check things are off, after asking or check overall power on time over say 1/2 and text if more than say 50%. Doesn't help with a random on though.

Only thing I can think of is setting a conditional trigger to turn it off after a set time between say midnight and 5am if you have a routine.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Page 1 of 1