Using a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z to trigger a trigger

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z to trigger a trigger

brianlloyd wrote:
Also, what does the progress bar at the bottom-left of the Main Window show? Sometimes it will show progress text – is it stuck on showing something? Also is the progress bar itself empty or is it full of colored bars?

The progress bar doesn't show any text and you can see outbound commands and inbound responses just fine. No delays or hang-ups except in the case of Insteon, of which I have almost none now. The only Insteon device left in my network is the 8-button dimmer which I have kept simply because I haven't found a good two (or more) button controller that also contains a dimmer and fits in a standard single-bay light switch box.

So, when you click the turn on/turn off button, even for the KeypadLinc, you see no text briefly above the progress bar? Something like:

Code: Select all
Office KeypadLinc on to 100

It only shows briefly (a couple of seconds) so you'll need to watch explicitly for it.

brianlloyd wrote:
Lastly, you might try temporarily disabling all of your Indigo Plugins just to make sure it isn't an issue cause by one of them.

OK, I will. Neither Indigo nor any of the plugins were updated between the time things worked and when they stopped working so, while I considered that, I dismissed it. I have updated MacOS in that time tho'. Any chance that a MacOS update could corrupt something in Indigo?

Unclear - it couldn't hurt to reinstall Indigo 7 and see what happens.

The Insteon problem may be the High Sierra bugs if you upgraded to that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am
brianlloyd offline

jay (support) wrote:
brianlloyd wrote:
Also, what does the progress bar at the bottom-left of the Main Window show? Sometimes it will show progress text – is it stuck on showing something? Also is the progress bar itself empty or is it full of colored bars?

The progress bar doesn't show any text and you can see outbound commands and inbound responses just fine. No delays or hang-ups except in the case of Insteon, of which I have almost none now. The only Insteon device left in my network is the 8-button dimmer which I have kept simply because I haven't found a good two (or more) button controller that also contains a dimmer and fits in a standard single-bay light switch box.

So, when you click the turn on/turn off button, even for the KeypadLinc, you see no text briefly above the progress bar? Something like:

Code: Select all
Office KeypadLinc on to 100

It only shows briefly (a couple of seconds) so you'll need to watch explicitly for it.

OK, I wrote a new trigger to increment a counter when a button on the keypadLinc is pressed. I see the message similar to the one above appear. The counter increments. So apparently I was mistaken when I said that triggers weren't working from the keypadLinc. It appears that they are.

Regardless, I still cannot SEND Insteon commands to devices. I see the progress bar stop, wait for a few seconds, then progress with no purple return response bar. The log file then shows:

Error "Rear flood lights" on to 75; send failed (no acknowledgment)

So I really am dealing with two different problems here.

Unclear - it couldn't hurt to reinstall Indigo 7 and see what happens.

I did that already before starting this thread.

The Insteon problem may be the High Sierra bugs if you upgraded to that.

If that is the case, would my Z-stick still be working? (Yeah, it may use a different driver.) Would I be able to receive Insteon messages from devices but not send them? I use FTDI USB Serial adaptors pretty regularly and my others all continue to work normally.

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It could be a USB / High Sierra problem, but normally those show as lower-level USB communication errors in the Event Log - not higher level INSTEON no-ack errors. No-acks normally mean there is a signal problem. Are none of your INSTEON devices command-able from Indigo? Have you tried moving an appliance or lamp module to the same power strip at the PowerLinc? If that also fails, then try moving the PowerLinc itself to different outlets / circuits. Since we are just troubleshooting use an extension cord so you can try several spots. Are any of the INSTEON module command-able then? If not, then I think the PowerLinc is failing. If some are, then I think you have a power line signal / noise issue you'll need to eliminate.

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 1:49 pm
brianlloyd offline

I assumed initially that it was an Insteon signal problem. I do have phase bridges in my panels and signal boosters at my panels to keep the powerline signals working well. Everything just quit at once. Nothing responds even if it is in the same outlet. The fact that the modem receives signals from all the Insteon devices suggests it is not a noise issue. Based on that Home Automation has replaced the modem module but the symptoms remain the same.

Given all the difficulty I have had with Insteon in the past I have opted to punt Insteon in favor of an all Z-Wave network. So far I have been REALLY happy with that transition. I am down to just one Insteon device left -- the keypadLinc. I need that keypad AND control for one circuit. I would love to find a 2 or 4 button device that has one switch or dimmer in it and is Z-Wave. So far I haven't found anything.

As for the keypad, I am hoping that the VRCZ4-M0Z will fill that function. No luck so far.

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 4:58 pm
brianlloyd offline

So I was playing with it some more and found that the keypadLinc was showing up as events in the event log but was not triggering the trigger. (Again.) So I made a very simple action group consisting of a single action, incrementing a variable. The trigger that invokes it doesn't execute when the relevant button is pressed.

So something is just not working right with triggers.

OTOH, my other triggers are working just fine.

'Tis a conundrum.

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Post a screenshot of your trigger edit window so we can see exactly how it's defined.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 pm
brianlloyd offline

Screenshots are too big. (7MB for my 4k display) But the description of the trigger at the bottom reads:

Trigger: "Rear Flood Lights" keypadButtonLed8 changes

Condition: always execute

Actions: execute action group "Counter Increment"

When I press button 8 I get:

Received INSTEON "Rear flood lights" on (button 8)

in the log but no corresponding Trigger notification.

This has worked at times and then other times it has not. Substituting the VRCZ4 for "Rear Flood Lights" produces no different behavior. This morning this trigger worked just fine.

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Email us the event log file from yesterday - send it to support AT indigodomo DOT com.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 8:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

And this is what the trigger for the KeypadLinc should look like:

ss185.png
ss185.png (61.67 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

I use a utility called Grabbit (on the Mac App Store) to easily do screen caps of single windows and/or selected areas of the screen. It would be very helpful if you would take a shot like the one above for how your trigger is defined since I don't recognize your trigger description...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 am
brianlloyd offline

OK, that fixed the function of the KeypadLinc. Now it executes the trigger reliably.

Previously I had created the trigger as

type "device state changed"
Device: Rear Flood Lights
Keypad Button LED 8
Has any change

I still have not gotten my VRCZ4-M0Z to work. I just want to press a button and have it invoke an action group or script. I see the event (4 per button press) but they never trigger the trigger.

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Still waiting for the screenshot of your VRCZ trigger. We got sidetracked on the Insteon issue so we need to circle back around to this.

The VRCZ4-M0Z isn't directly supported by Indigo (Matt can confirm, but I believe this one is still on the list because of it's relatively non-standard operation). @howartp's plugin might work and user @brettlid has indicated that he's working on a plugin specifically for it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 am
brianlloyd offline

jay (support) wrote:
Still waiting for the screenshot of your VRCZ trigger. We got sidetracked on the Insteon issue so we need to circle back around to this.

And you are not going to get a screenshot. The files generated are too big and I am not going to spend a bunch of time with an image editing program to crop and convert to JPEG so they will fit.

The VRCZ4-M0Z isn't directly supported by Indigo (Matt can confirm, but I believe this one is still on the list because of it's relatively non-standard operation). @howartp's plugin might work and user @brettlid has indicated that he's working on a plugin specifically for it.

OK. I figured that I could work with the raw -Wave commands from the VRCZ4-M0Z. Obviously they are being received because they show up in the event log. Even, "if you receive any command from this button on this device, invoke this trigger," would work for me.

So, rather than asking me how I am currently doing it, perhaps you could suggest a way to do it. I have now tried both a "Device State Changed" trigger and a "Z-Wave Command Received" trigger. Neither is working. Currently I have:

Type: Z-Wave Command Received
Event: Incoming Command Received from Device

Under Edit Event Settings I have:

Received: Scene 1

When I press the scene 1 button I see this in the event log:

May 22, 2018 at 11:34:35
Z-Wave received "080 - Scene Controller (RZCS4)" scene 1

Note that there is no trigger logged.

And even tho' I can now receive messages from the KeypadLinc, I cannot send commands to any Insteon device. I guess I should move that into a different thread.

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 am
howartp offline

Brian, responses like that won’t get you much help from anyone. Jays suggested a helpful tool for you, similar to what I use on Windows.

The Leviton devices are known not to work with Indigo yet, as a number of us have stated.

Until the Zwave “experts” such as myself, Matt or the other chap whose name I’ve forgotten get Leviton working, you won’t get anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 11:44 am
autolog offline

brianlloyd wrote:
jay (support) wrote:

And you are not going to get a screenshot. The files generated are too big and I am not going to spend a bunch of time with an image editing program to crop and convert to JPEG so they will fit.

Pressing CMD+SHIFT+4 will allow you to capture a part of the screen that you can drag and select. The sizes are small - Jay's example above is 62 KB. :wink:

If it helps, see this document to change the screenshot save location: How to Change Screenshot Save Location :)

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm
brianlloyd offline

howartp wrote:
Brian, responses like that won’t get you much help from anyone. Jays suggested a helpful tool for you, similar to what I use on Windows.

I provided all the information from the windows. I just didn't provide a picture. Rather than spend the time trying to figure out how to do a screenshot I just typed in all the information that went into those windows. It was faster.

The Leviton devices are known not to work with Indigo yet, as a number of us have stated.

This is the first time I have gotten a clear statement that it won't work. I did go looking for information on the VRCZ4 and found a thread or two that suggested that it WAS working.

Until the Zwave “experts” such as myself, Matt or the other chap whose name I’ve forgotten get Leviton working, you won’t get anywhere.

OK, thank you. The answer is, "you can't get there from here, at least not now." I can live with that. Jay and Matt were suggesting that it could be made to work. Now I know it is not possible. That would have solved my problem from the get-go.