Using a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z to trigger a trigger

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:13 pm
brettlid offline

Re: Using a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z to trigger a trigger

OK, I am confused. There are no associations to manage since I don't have any actual scenes set up in any of my Z-Wave devices.

It has to be association with the Indigo Z-Wave interface

Is that why you drew a red circle around the Indigo Z-Wave interface in your example? Seems that should exist by default.

Yes you'll have to associated it with each button group 1-4 They don't pre-exist

Better. Not sure what the difference between a button command and scene command is and when you would use one over the other.

You can use either, they both do the same thing. Its up to you. See the my description to see how the groups and scenes relate to each other.

Am I unusual in that I don't actually set up scenes in the Z-Wave hardware?

You'll have to set up scenes if you want the VRCZ4 to send the correct commands to Indigo to trigger the event. Follow the instructions to set up the scenes. Just setup Indigo is the only associated device.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 pm
brettlid offline

bryan let me know if you have any issues after you've tried setting it up per the instructions.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 am
brianlloyd offline

brettlid wrote:
bryan let me know if you have any issues after you've tried setting it up per the instructions.

I have a test-case trigger working. The only problem is, the trigger is triggered only every other button press, i.e. when the green LED illuminates on the VRCZ4. So it looks like the function follows the LED state, not the button state. I am not a fan of toggle functions as you have no idea ahead of time which state the button is in. I really was hoping to have it function simply as a single push-button to generate a signal.

So I have the VRCZ4 programmed so that button 1 generates scene 11 for the first press and scene 15 for the second press. I set up Indigo to use it as a button thinking that I would catch a signal for each press, not every other press. Do I need to switch to scenes and have a trigger for scene 11 and a separate trigger for scene 15 invoke the same action group to simulate the desired behavior?

But let's assume that I want to have the LED on the button signal the state. It means that if the state is changed by something else, the LED will need to be updated. My goal is to keep all logic inside Indigo and not depend on creating scenes inside the Z-Wave devices. (I like to keep all configuration in one place in systems that I design. I hate systems where you have to get things right in two or more separate places because that just creates the likelihood that someone will miss something and the system will end up in a broken state.)

I apologize for being ignorant. I keep making assumptions as to how things should work. A lot of what Indigo can do seems to be maintained in the minds of the experts and not really written down anywhere. As a user rather than a hacker, I don't mess with it often enough to maintain all the configuration information in my head.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am
brettlid offline

I have a test-case trigger working. The only problem is, the trigger is triggered only every other button press, i.e. when the green LED illuminates on the VRCZ4. So it looks like the function follows the LED state, not the button state. I am not a fan of toggle functions as you have no idea ahead of time which state the button is in. I really was hoping to have it function simply as a single push-button to generate a signal.

So I have the VRCZ4 programmed so that button 1 generates scene 11 for the first press and scene 15 for the second press. I set up Indigo to use it as a button thinking that I would catch a signal for each press, not every other press. Do I need to switch to scenes and have a trigger for scene 11 and a separate trigger for scene 15 invoke the same action group to simulate the desired behavior?

But let's assume that I want to have the LED on the button signal the state. It means that if the state is changed by something else, the LED will need to be updated. My goal is to keep all logic inside Indigo and not depend on creating scenes inside the Z-Wave devices. (I like to keep all configuration in one place in systems that I design. I hate systems where you have to get things right in two or more separate places because that just creates the likelihood that someone will miss something and the system will end up in a broken state.)

I apologize for being ignorant. I keep making assumptions as to how things should work. A lot of what Indigo can do seems to be maintained in the minds of the experts and not really written down anywhere. As a user rather than a hacker, I don't mess with it often enough to maintain all the configuration information in my head.

For now I would ignore the LEDs they only reflect what was pushed last. The VRCZ4 does not have state information as to whether a button is on or off. More accurately the VRCZ4 has 8 push buttons each one will generate an event. The on and off side is actually a separate button. If you push the left side its the on button, the right side is the off button. Hope the picture below can explain it better.

It sounds like you want one trigger to handle any press of the button? If so use the Button Command as your trigger event. There's an option to have it trigger with either the on or off button is pressed.