Fantem zwave devices in Alibaba

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:10 am
siclark offline

Fantem zwave devices in Alibaba

I've discovered that Fantem make Aeotec's sockets, leak detector, relay modules and motion sensor and they sell their products directly on alibaba for less than half the price.
Obviously their is shipping from China involved and some minimum quantities to deal with that I am negotiating

But my question is, will the firmware be the same as on Aeotec's devices and so will integrate with Indigo in the same was as the aeotec branded devices?

I could finish off my house with relays and mains sockets with over order if they are but don't want to end up with 5 modules that don't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:45 am
kw123 offline

Re: Fantem zwave devices in Alibaba

I guess the only way to find out is : order one and try it out.

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Normally, I would say that they probably won't work out of the box because the general practice is that when a company contracts with an OEM to make devices for them they change the manufacturer ID (and perhaps other aspects of the firmware). If this is the case, then often the basic functionality will work (because it's specific to the Z-Wave spec) but custom configuration params won't work in the UI (because those are specific to the manufacturer id).

However, according to the Fantem website:

Fantem Technologies Ltd. was founded in 2011. This joint venture between Aeon Labs and Yitoa Intelligent Control Co., Ltd. ...

So, it's possible that the default manufacturer ID is the same as Aeotec's manufacturer ID. But, without the specifics (and there don't appear to be links to the Z-Wave details on either Fantem or Alibaba's websites) we won't know until someone tries it.

[EDIT] After further investigation, I suspect the former is the case. Oomi, which appears to be the public brand used by Fantem, uses a different manufacturer ID than Aeon Labs/Aeotec, so it's likely they will need to be added specifically if that's what you get from Alibaba (but who knows what you'll actually receive).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:50 am
siclark offline

jay (support) wrote:

[EDIT] After further investigation, I suspect the former is the case. Oomi, which appears to be the public brand used by Fantem, uses a different manufacturer ID than Aeon Labs/Aeotec, so it's likely they will need to be added specifically if that's what you get from Alibaba (but who knows what you'll actually receive).

Thanks Jay. Think I could probably live with the basic functionality for the sockets but the rest I'd want to amend the configuration. Might give up on the idea.

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If anyone gets any Oomi branded devices then hopefully they can report them so we can add definitions for them.

Note, you can set any arbitrary config parameter - a device definition will only expose that in the UI so you don't have to use the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Modify Configuration Parameter... menu item.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:13 pm
siclark offline

kw123 wrote:
I guess the only way to find out is : order one and try it out.

Sadly it's bulk order only, so hence being a bit careful. Unless I can find other UK people willing to go in with me. If enough of us buy them then Jay and Matt will have to add support.

Page 1 of 1