Serving a "remote" building

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Serving a "remote" building

Yes, Indigo uses IOServiceGetMatchingServices() to iterate through the serial devices with a classesToMatch dict that has kIOSerialBSDTypeKey value of kIOSerialBSDAllTypes. I'm not sure of the internals of what that method is doing, but it is more than just iterating through the /dev/ files for sure.

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:32 pm
berkinet offline

matt (support) wrote:
Yes, Indigo uses IOServiceGetMatchingServices() to iterate through the serial devices with a classesToMatch dict that has kIOSerialBSDTypeKey value of kIOSerialBSDAllTypes. I'm not sure of the internals of what that method is doing, but it is more than just iterating through the /dev/ files for sure.

Thanks Matt. That help's clarify things and will help avoid spinning our wheels in the wrong direction (is that a mixed metaphor?).

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:36 am
berkinet offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Wow. If this turns out to be a stable implementation, you may have solved a real need for many Indigo users (seems like something that will understandably not be officially supported, but still)....

Two weeks now and no glitches. Solid and stable.

One small caveat: I am using wired Ethernet. I have not tried this over Wi-Fi. However, since the effective baud rate is so slow (around 9600bps) I see no reason why Wi-Fi should not work just as well.