Optimizing Battery Powerd Devices

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:01 am
Albatros offline

Optimizing Battery Powerd Devices

Thanks for the Optimizing Z-wave network functionality.

A couple of suggestions/observations:
- A suggestion would be to know when a device was last optimized/synced.
- It looks like when you just select one device from the optimize z-wave functionality it does all devices. Not sure do. Or is it just pining the neighbors of the single device
- When you do all devices optimize network can you exclude battery devices. For me with this action non of the battery powered devices succeeded optimizing This relates to the question I have. Depending how this works it this makes sense.

Questions:
1. How can you best optimize a battery powered device? When I sync a ZME-wall-c form the device menu it just times out and therefore no optimization. And from the optimize menu it shows a no ack message.

2. What is the difference between sync on the device menu and selecting just one device in the Optimize z-wave network menu

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Optimizing Battery Powerd Devices

Thanks for the feedback. I've added to the feature request list the tracking of when a module was last optimized, as well as the ability to only optimize non-battery powered modules.

When selecting individual devices to optimize Indigo only finds the neighbor nodes of that module, unless that operation fails or the module is asleep in which case it has all of its last known neighbors also search for their neighbors (which will hopefully catch/find the module originally targeted for the optimization). Basically it does a shallow optimization unless a deeper one is needed.

Battery operated modules actually can be targeted for optimization. If they aren't reachable (awake) and the initial ACK fails, then Indigo queues them to be optimized the next time they wake. Once they wake (anytime as long as Indigo hasn't been restarted), Indigo will then have them re-find the nearest neighbors.

During sync Indigo no longer tries to optimize modules. The optimization can take a very long time if one has lots of modules, so it is no longer part of the sync process.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:15 am
CrazyFin offline

Gents,

I fully understand this is an 2-year old thread but I encountered exactly the same problem with my ZME-WALLC-S controllers. Acutally my devices are rebranded POPP 9303 wall controllers.

Here is the device output:
Output of device details:
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: Popp & Co. - 0154, Remote Switch (9303) - 01000101
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved protocol version 4.05, app version 1.01
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Controller : Wall Controller : Basic Wall Controller (01 : 18 : 01, base 00)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 80v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 2Dv1 8Ev1 8Fv1 70v1 72v1 73v1 98v1 59v1 5Av1 5Bv1 5Ev1
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved capabilities: battery, beaming, security, waking
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved wake interval of 1440 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - device "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light" wake interval changed to 1440 minutes
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved group 1 associations: [1]
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved group 5 associations: [1]
Z-Wave Syncing - group 1 association to interface already exists (skipping)
Z-Wave Syncing - group 2 association to interface not supported by module (skipping)
Z-Wave Syncing - group 3 association to interface not supported by module (skipping)
Z-Wave Syncing - group 4 association to interface not supported by module (skipping)
Z-Wave Syncing - group 5 association to interface already exists (skipping)
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 1 "Button 1 and 3 mode" is 1 "Grouped"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 2 "Button 2 and 4 mode" is 1 "Grouped"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 11 "Action on group 1" is 1 "Basic"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 12 "Action on group 2" is 1 "Basic"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 13 "Action on group 3" is 1 "Basic"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 14 "Action on group 4" is 1 "Basic"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 21 "All on/off command types" is 1 "All Off"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 24 "LED confirmation mode" is 0 "None"
Z-Wave Syncing - device "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light" parameter 24 "LED confirmation mode" changed to 2 "On Tap and ACK"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 22 "Reverse switch controls" is false
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved parameter 30 "Send battery report on wake up" is true
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved battery level of 42%
Z-Wave Syncing - complete

The neighbor list is empty so I decided to test to wake up the device and then start an optimization of only that device.
Output of optimization log:
Z-Wave Optimizing - started network optimization for nodes: 19
Z-Wave Optimizing - starting "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light"
Z-Wave Optimizing - ping completed in 147 ms
Z-Wave Optimizing - finding neighbors
Z-Wave Optimizing - failed "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light"
Z-Wave Optimizing - complete
Z-Wave Optimizing - update queued for next awake message: "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light"

Looks fine so far!

And when I wake up the POPP 9303 wall controller:
Z-Wave Optimizing - starting for awake device "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light"
Z-Wave Error Optimizing - update failed: "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light"
Z-Wave received "019 - LABB - Remote controller for labb workbench and roof light" status update battery level 64%

So it seems like the POPP 9303 wall controller never accepts the waiting update for neighbor list?
I have the same problem with my Merten battery operated wall controllers.
However, my temp and humidity sensors Everspring ST814 and my Philiotech temp and humidity sensors PAT02-B works fine with optimization and they show a nice and long neighbor list.

Seems to be a problem only for my different wall controllers. :-(

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you manually resync them after you wake them up?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:21 pm
CrazyFin offline

Yes indeed. I tested that a couple of times as well but still no success.
The neighbor list is sill empty.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 am
CrazyFin offline

Alright, I have now received a reply from POPP tech support.

Their answer is that the POPP 9303 (also called ZME-WALLC-S) battery operated wall controller does not have a neighbor list.
It uses roaming. I guess that it means that the device uses the relaying technique where other devices re-transmits packages?

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:02 pm
Sevilsivle offline

The same applies for the Popp key fob and clones. Makes sense for portable devices.

Page 1 of 1