Z-Wave Thermometer for Freezer?

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:55 pm
CraftGeek offline

Z-Wave Thermometer for Freezer?

Is there a supported Z-Wave thermometer with a wired probe that I can us to monitor my freezer? I have a freezer in the garage and it would be nice to get a text to my phone if the temperature rises beyond set point.

Sean

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:28 pm
Sevilsivle offline

Re: Z-Wave Thermometer for Freezer?

I couldn't find a Z-Wave thermostat. I use an RFXCOM transceiver with a thermostat from TFA. However I am in Europe ( Germany). These may not be available elsewhere.
Tim

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:55 am
durosity offline

Qubino modules allow you to add a wired probe which could be used on your freezer. In indigo 6 these modules aren't official supported but they've said they they're getting added to 7, however I use a couple (one attached to a double relay and one attached to a DC Flush shutter module) and they both work fine, although I needed to setup a schedule to force a refresh of the module every few mins as it doesn't seem to automatically.. hopefully in i7 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:08 am
johnpolasek offline

Here in the States, I also use an RFX433 reciever and Oregon Scientific Temp sensors in both the freezer and refrigerator...

http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/p-65-oregon-scientific-thn132n-wireless-temperature-sensor.aspx

I did have to put an external antenna on the RFX to get it to reliably get the temp data from inside a steel box.

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:25 am
Sevilsivle offline

Sevilsivle wrote:
I couldn't find a Z-Wave thermostat. I use an RFXCOM transceiver with a thermostat from TFA. However I am in Europe ( Germany). These may not be available elsewhere.
Tim

Sorry that should have read thermometer.

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:00 am
CraftGeek offline

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

johnpolasek wrote:
Here in the States, I also use an RFX433 reciever and Oregon Scientific Temp sensors in both the freezer and refrigerator...

http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/p-65-oregon-scientific-thn132n-wireless-temperature-sensor.aspx

I did have to put an external antenna on the RFX to get it to reliably get the temp data from inside a steel box.

Putting an antenna on a sensor with the sensor in the deep freeze seems like it would reduce the battery life by half or more.

@johnpolasek: How often do you have to change out your batteries?

Sean

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:15 am
johnpolasek offline

CraftGeek wrote:
Putting an antenna on a sensor with the sensor in the deep freeze seems like it would reduce the battery life by half or more.

@johnpolasek: How often do you have to change out your batteries?

The antenna is on the RFX433 receiver in the attic, not the sensors. But the cold does shorten the battery life; I have to change them out about every 9 months as opposed to about every other year for the ones that I have scattered throughout the house to control the -wave dampers. The battery level indication is pretty spotty on them, so I have them update a timestamp variable every time they transmit and a trigger that nags me to replace them if I don't hear from them for more than 6 hours.

Posted on
Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:52 am
kw123 offline

You could use an esp8622 and a onewire temp sensor Or with a raspberry pi. There are >2 plugins that support this

Arduino plugin and pibeacon plugin and some others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1