Cannot include WD500Z-1

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:48 pm
JonathanKing offline

Cannot include WD500Z-1

Hello,

I finally had the wiring upgraded so I could excitedly get my new WD500Z-1 dimmer switch added to my Indigo (v6.1.6) Z-Wave (Aeon Labs Z-Stick v2) network. I followed the directions: unplug Z-Stick, press the blue button, watch the slow-blink, then pressed the up (or down) paddle on the switch, and nothing happens. Z-Stick keeps doing the slow-blink until it just seems to stop blinking. No fast-blink, no 3-second light-on, etc. I plug it back into the Mac Mini and Indigo doesn't show any new Nodes. This is my first hard-wired dimmer switch, but I do have a few other Z-Wave devices right near this one that work fine (a plugin lamp dimmer and a battery-operated door sensor).

I see in the forums others are using this successfully, but I cannot seem to get past the first hurdle. Any advice? Thanks!

-jonathan

p.s. how long should the z-stick remain in Inclusion mode after pressing the button? i.e. how long does the battery last. Mine stops after a few minutes, but goes back to slow-blink when I press the button again.

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:17 pm
Japple55 offline

Re: Cannot include WD500Z-1

Just a thought, was the device previously paired somewhere? Try excluding the device first. Press and hold the Zstick for a few seconds til it blinks orange, then trigger the paddle. The light should go solid (if I remember) to indicate it has been excluded. Then press the Zstick button again to pair as you described. Good luck.

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 pm
JonathanKing offline

Thank you very much for that suggestion. I did later try excluding, but had the same experience where the Z-stick went into Removal mode (flash blinking) but didn't seem to respond to pressing the paddle on the switch.

-jonathan

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:22 pm
JonathanKing offline

I hope this helps anyone else in my situation. A reviewer on Amazon indicated that you have to tap the paddle TWICE to enter inclusion mode, and this worked for me. Other than a slightly annoying buzzing below 70% brightness, it works fine.

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:31 am
tomswell offline

Re: Cannot include WD500Z-1 / SET PARAMETERS

a brief double push does the trick.
How do we get dimmer to link to another control ?
> How to set neighbors and associations :?:

Page 1 of 1