[ANSWERED]Have to replace my Z-Stick

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm
hwitten offline

[ANSWERED]Have to replace my Z-Stick

Lots of red showing in Devices so I'm going to replace the Z-Stick and reload all devices.

If I remember correctly, I can retain the Indigo device entries and just synch to the new stick address of the device(s)?
...thereby keeping all rules, etc. intact?

Am I correct or is there a better way?

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Have to replace my Z-Stick

Well, that's about half the story. The problem is that unlike Insteon PowerLinc's, the Z-Stick has be be manually activated to do inclusions for devices. So the process is more painful, and goes something like this (repeat for every Z-Wave device):

1. Exclude the device (this can be done from either the old or new Z-Stick)
  2. Include the device in the new Z-Stick
  3. Plug the Z-Stick back in to the Mac
  4. In Indigo, open the Define and Sync dialog for the device and select the device from the Use node popup and Sync

You can do the first two steps repeatedly for each device without doing the last two, but you'll need to write down which devices you included IN THE ORDER you included them (because that's the order they'll show up in the Use node popup). You can then do all the Define and Syncs at the same time.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 am
hwitten offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Have to replace my Z-Stick

Thank you Jay.

Just to clarify... it would be like a re-synch/re-define which gets done occasionally but I would use the new inclusion ID's and the internals to Indigo would stay intact ?
I.e. device ID would change but internals to Indigo would remain same so all rules, etc. will be intact?

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 10:28 am
Daniel-Macmini offline

Good Morning,
I read the Comments above but since they are from 2015, I was wondering if there are any changes on 7.4.1.
Is there an easier way to push/Sync with the Gen5 Z-stick?
Seems painful to have to re learn ALL of the devices, more than 25 for me... :(
Thank you for any help/guidance.

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 pm
howartp offline

Only 25? That’s not many! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 6:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Daniel-Macmini wrote:
Is there an easier way to push/Sync with the Gen5 Z-stick?

Nothing new to report on Z-Wave Controller backup/restore functionality in Indigo. Still definitely on the wish list. Some users have experimented with using a Raspberry Pi to do a network shift between controllers as discussed here. My guess is it would be quicker to exclude/re-include and re-sync the devices if you have 25 though. Note you would keep your existing Indigo Devices themselves, so none of your Indigo logic (Triggers / Schedules / etc.) need to be changed.

Posted on
Mon May 11, 2020 6:48 am
Daniel-Macmini offline

Thank you Guys!
I guess I will Start the task of doing it... Oh well Lots of time at home will make for it.. :)

Posted on
Sat May 23, 2020 10:35 pm
JonathanKing offline

Wow, I'm kind of shocked that this is still the procedure. I have about 20 devices and a new gen 5 stick to install and hoped things would be better. Can anyone explain why this is so 'hard'? Is it a z-wave issue or just a feature that hasn't been written yet for Indigo? If I wait a few more months, can I avoid the shenanigans :)

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not going to get into the specifics of why it is difficult. It is possible that we'll have functionality that helps with changing Z-Wave controllers in several months, but there are much higher priority features we are working on at the moment.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 pm
thomasw offline

Re:Have to replace my Z-Stick-Problem with Minimote

Hi guys, I've read the answers about replacing the Z-Stick, but I'm having a problem with one device, the 4 button minimote. All my z-wave devices worked fine with my first Z-Stick, the series 2. It got bumped and bent on the mac. It stopped working if you unplugged it, so you couldn't include or exclude any devices. So, I bought the new Z-Stick Gen 5. I used that to exclude every single Z-Wave device (about 29 total). Then I went through the PAINFULL process of including all of the devices in the new Z-Stick Gen 5. The only problem is that The White 4 Button Minimize won't configure in Indigo? It includes with the new Z-Stick, but when I select new device in Indigo, it DOES see it as "Node 29 -Portable Remote Controller". But when I try to sync it, it keeps saying No response from "29 - Portable Remote Controller". Might be asleep or is unreachable. I've tried to hold down one of the 4 buttons as recommended in the Indigo write up on adding device. I even tried holding down the learn button. The remote worked perfectly with the Z-Stick series 2 in Indigo, but no matter what I try, it won't sync in Indigo now?
I've tried excluding it, and including it with the Z-Stick Gen 5 several times, and then trying again in Indigo. Every single time, it sees it no problem as Portable Remote Controller, so I know it is including with the new Z-Stick, I just can't get Indigo to sync it? It's weird because Indigo does recognize it in the Node list, but won't sync it? I don't know what else to try at this point? Help Please.

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 pm
thomasw offline

Re:Have to replace my Z-Stick-Problem Syncing Device

Here is the error log I'm getting below. I've restarted Indigo several times, Rebooted iMac, excluded remote from Z-Stick, Included it, tried several times. Indigo keeps seeing device node, so I know it's included, but Indigo just refuses to sync this minimote for some unknown reason? When I press sync in Indigo, it seems like it isn't even trying. It immediately says it's not getting response? I've reset the node field, same thing? I'm holding a button down while trying to sync, still nothing . I've tried holding down the Learn button, still nothing? Why won't this sync in Indigo if Indigo says it's listed as a node in the new Z-Stick?

May 25, 2020 10:20:01 PM
Z-Wave connected to Z-Stick Plus (ZW090) interface on /dev/cu.usbmodem241231 (firmware 1.01)
Z-Wave found module included in controller with no matching device (missing or disabled): 029 - Portable Remote Controller
Trigger Power Restored

Email Sent to "XXXXX@XXX.com"; subject "Power Restored"
Z-Wave received "006 - Temperature-ST-814" sensor update to 72.5 °F
Z-Wave received "006 - Humidity ST-814" sensor update to 52%

May 25, 2020 10:21:05 PM
Z-Wave Syncing - started for "029 - Portable Remote Controller"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: - none -
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed
Z-Wave Error No response from "029 - Portable Remote Controller". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.
Z-Wave Error No response from "029 - Portable Remote Controller". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

May 25, 2020 10:22:08 PM

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 am
thomasw offline

Re: Replace Z-Stick Nightmare

Why are these damn Z-Wave devices such a pain in the rear? After 5 days of trying, I was finally able to sync the final 2 devices to the Z-Stick Gen 5. The Z-Stick Series 2 was working fine, with all devices. But, what a #@$%% nightmare it was to replace it with the Z-Stick Gen 5. Why is it that some of these Z-Wave devices refuse to sync with a new Z-Stick and Indigo? No rhyme or reason to it. You do ALL the steps and they simply refuse to exclude/include/configure. There has to be a better way? It really isn't worth all the wasted hours/days to exclude and then re-setup all the devices to a new controller and in Indigo. What did I do to finally get the final 2 devices to work with the new Z-Stick Gen 5 and Indigo? Who knows? I certainly don't. Just days and days of doing the same thing, following every write up, every instruction, only to have Indigo say it's included, and assigned a node number, but having it refuse to sync. Well, for some unknown reason, on day 5, Indigo finally decided it would sync these final 2 devices. Of course that meant that they assigned 2 new node numbers, and Indigo still has the other 2 node numbers with the same names? :oops: :cry: End of rant, but I do feel better

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 12:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If I had to guess, I think there was some type of RF interference or a Z-Wave module causing problems. Battery operated modules can be particularly fickle since some don't stay awake for a very long interval (despite button pressing like you were doing).

Regarding the node numbers, I'm not sure I understand what is occurring. Presuming you were using the same Indigo device for the exclude/re-include/re-syncs, there shouldn't be any extra Indigo devices.

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 11:30 pm
thomasw offline

Thanks Matt, you are right. It's working now. I wish there was a way for Indigo to reach out and smack these battery devices upside the head......LOL 8) :lol: :shock: Grandpa used to do that when we got out of line. That always "reset" our parameters...LOL