Trane Z-Wave Thermostats

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 8:35 am
Hap offline

Trane Z-Wave Thermostats

Are there any plans to support the newer Z-Wave compatible thermostats?

XL624
XL824
XL850

The only Z-Wave compatible thermostat in the supported device list seems to be obsoleted.

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 9:06 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Trane Z-Wave Thermostats

The only Z-Wave compatible thermostat in the supported device list seems to be obsoleted.

Those that you listed are not Z-Wave compatible, unfortunately... they are marketed as being controllable by their Z-Wave home automation system, but what really happens is that they thermostats connect via WiFi to their home automation service (Nexia). Z-Wave "control" is done by talking to their Nexia Bridge via Z-Wave and then the thermostats via the WiFi / web connection.

I haven't given it my "best shot", but an initial look showed the protocol to be VERY complex and thus not easily reverse-engineered. I would love to delve into this more later once I do some network changes to make reverse engineering a bit easier and eventually write an Indigo plugin; but at this point I don't even know if it is possible.

One thing to note, when I searched other home automation systems about a year or so ago for support for similar thermostats in that line (XL-950 to be specific), nobody had been able to create a plugin/control with them.

Adam

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 am
skoeppen offline

The XL624 is z-wave compatible. I've been using one with Indigo and an Aeotec z-stick controller since April 2014. If you get one through a Trane dealer, they will want to sell you a Nexia Bridge which lets you control it with the Nexia smartphone App over your wifi network. The Nexia Bridge talks to the thermostat via z-wave and to your smartphone via wifi. If you want to talk to it remotely over the Internet, they'll sell you the Nexia service @ $9.99 per month. Using the Aeotec z-stick avoids the Nexia stuff altogether.

The XL824 and XL850 have a built-in z-wave to wifi bridge which negates the need to buy a separate Nexia Bridge to be able to talk to them via the Nexia smartphone app. I do not know if they can communicate directly via z-wave.

The Indigo supported devices list apparently isn't up to date on z-wave thermostats. The XL624 should be on the list. You can still purchase it from Trane and amazon.com among others. It's a great thermostat and I haven't had any issues with it.

Steve

Steve Koeppen
X10 user from the early 80's
Converted to Insteon 2011 - 2014
Started adding z-wave 2014
Happy :D Indigo owner since v1 in 2005

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As we state at the top of the Z-Wave list, the only ones on the list are ones that either we've directly confirmed or a user has used the Submit Device Information button to report that a specific model works. However, if the thermostat implements the Z-Wave thermostat command classes, then the basic thermostat functionality should just work. The Trane Z-Wave thermostats seem to do this very well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 am
sarahcat offline

With regard specifically to the Trane XL824 thermostat:

Is anyone successfully using it via Indigo v7 or earlier?

If so, can the thermostat status be monitored by Indigo or can the thermostat only execute commands sent to it by Indigo (e.g., set temp to nnº)?

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:48 am
skoeppen offline

I've submitted a report for the XL624. I apologize for not doing this earlier.

Steve Koeppen

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It works with Indigo 6 and 7. There are a couple of modes that aren't selectable directly from Indigo's UI (aux heat and energy saving mode), but OFF / COOL / HEAT / AUTO mode all work, as well as setting the setpoints and receiving updates from the thermostat for everything (setpoints, mode, temperature).

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:12 pm
sarahcat offline

:D Thanks, Matt. :D

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:03 pm
Japple55 offline

Just to be clear Matt (cuz I'm in the market for one too) is your response related to the 624 or the 824, or both?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Oh sorry, good catch Jim. I was referring to the XL624 (I should have read both posts more carefully). I actually think the XL824 might have problems based on what I've read about it. :?

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:06 pm
sarahcat offline

OK, thanks for flagging your follow up. Aside from the obvious, the XL824 has a Z-Wave to WiFi bridge to allow direct control of the thermostat from a mobile device or a computer. It does have the ability to communicate with Nexia Z-Wave devices, but I don't use it in that way, since I have Indigo.

Not a big deal anyway, since the HVAC system has external temperature information and uses a multi-stage heat pump which is most efficient in autonomous auto-switchover mode. I can monitor and control the thermostat from all of my devices and I almost never adjust the settings. Of all the systems I use, I can do without Indigo integration of the HVAC. It would have been just a curiosity if I could have monitored the system from Indigo,

Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:31 pm
Japple55 offline

How to capture device info?

Just installed a Trane xl624. Indigo is seeing it just fine and reporting seems normal in the Indigo UI. How do I capture the information being reported, like mode, temperature and humidity so I can use them in actions? Are there any instructions on how to do this anywhere. Haven't been able to find how to do this in the forums.
Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 pm
skoeppen offline

Use a trigger on "Device State Changed". I've attached a screen cap that shows the trigger options.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 4.52.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 4.52.09 PM.png (83.54 KiB) Viewed 4266 times

Steve Koeppen

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:27 pm
Japple55 offline

Thanks Steve. I figured out how to copy the states to variables and your trigger works fine. I've got an applescript speaking the temp but it adds the decimal point. Is there a better way?
The ultimate goal here is be able to ask Alexa the current temperature, and then be able to change the setpoint (using a dimmer script). I think I can figure this out now that I've got the states in the variables.

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:36 pm
skoeppen offline

I haven't had any experience using applescripts with Indigo - only python scripts.

Steve Koeppen