[ANSWERED]: Z-Stick becomes unresponsive

Posted on
Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:18 am
Mathiasw offline

[ANSWERED]: Z-Stick becomes unresponsive

Twice now (in the middle of the night) Z-Stick has died. I am running 6.0.20 on 10.9.5. Reloading the Z-Wave interface fixed the issue - but I had to get up in the dark and feel my way to the computer!

Any idea? Tail of log attached.

Z-Wave received "053 - Computer Temperature" sensor update to 27.7 °C
Z-Wave received "053 - Computer Temperature" sensor update to 27.7 °C
Z-Wave received "096 - MacPro (TZ88E)" power load to 6.4 W
Z-Wave received "077 - Garage9 Both Relays" power load to 38.7 W
Z-Wave received "077 - Garage9 Both Relays" power load to 37.9 W
Z-Wave received "077 - Garage9 Both Relays" power load to 42.8 W
Z-Wave received "077 - Garage9 Both Relays" power load to 42.0 W
Z-Wave Error error trying to parse value (valsize 4 too large for packetsize 4)
Z-Wave Error Error in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serialinterface.py", line 439, in startCommThread
self.processCommThread()
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serialinterface.py", line 613, in processCommThread
self.processQueueInPacket(packet) # Subclass is required to define.
File "zwaveinterface.py", line 1541, in processQueueInPacket
File "zwaveinterface.py", line 1515, in _processFuncCall
File "zwaveinterface.py", line 1566, in _processCommandReply
File "zwaveinterface.py", line 1513, in _processFuncCall
File "zwavecmd_meter.py", line 218, in _processRequestMeterLevel
ValueError: need more than 4 values to unpack

Z-Wave Error exc type is <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>
Z-Wave Error restarting serial connection in 5.0 seconds
Interface Failure lost connection with interface
Z-Wave Error rcvd unexpected bytes (sent ACK): 00 00 00 00 A7 18

Posted on
Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:01 pm
Mathiasw offline

Re: Z-Stick becomes unresponsive

It's done it again after another 12 hours or so with a different error message. I'm going to up the debug level.

Z-Wave received "066 - TVAmp Both Relays" power load to 73.8 W
Z-Wave received "066 - TVAmp Both Relays" power load to 41.2 W
Z-Wave received "053 - Computer Temperature" sensor update to 27.6 °C
Z-Wave received "053 - Computer Temperature" sensor update to 27.6 °C
Z-Wave received "077 - Garage9 Both Relays" power load to 42.2 W
Z-Wave received "058 - Freezer Upper" sensor update to -18.56 °C
Z-Wave Error rcvd packet checksum mismatch: 01 00
Z-Wave Error calculated checksum FF, received 00 (sent NAK)

3 Mar 2015 09:11:59
Schedule KitchenHobTest (delayed action)

3 Mar 2015 09:15:00
Schedule LeaveHouse

Posted on
Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 pm
Mathiasw offline

It did it again after 18 hours. Unfortunately, due to the size limit on the debug files, the portion with the error was not captured.

Any suggestions on how to get a log for this?

Or should I just write a script that reloads Z-Wave if there are no signals for 5 minutes or so?

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:11 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There are a few different issues occurring here, one of which we have addressed in an internal build. Send us an email (contact form on home page) and we'll get you an early release of the Z-Wave library with this particular fix. I believe that will handle the particular error you are encountering more smoothly.

Also do you have the Z-Stick plugged directly into your Mac? We have seen Z-Sticks report back garbage bytes when trying to use USB extension cables and some hubs. Plugging it directly into the Mac resolved those low-level USB errors.

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 6:02 pm
Turribeach offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Z-Stick becomes unresponsive

Hi, I seem to be experiencing this error as well although I don't have debug turned on so I can't provide detailed logs. Here is the error I caught tonight:

2016-05-02 23:34:08.325 Z-Wave received "Motion Sensor Studio" status update is on
2016-05-02 23:34:08.327 Trigger Studio Motion On
2016-05-02 23:34:08.329 Trigger Studio Light On Timer
2016-05-02 23:34:08.330 Trigger Var Update Motion Sensor Studio Changed
2016-05-02 23:34:08.388 Z-Wave Error rcvd packet checksum mismatch: 01 00
2016-05-02 23:34:08.389 Z-Wave Error calculated checksum FF, received 00 (sent NAK)

During this time the Z-Wave network was dead. I noticed this as I walked around the house and the lights did not go on despite the Fibaro motion sensors indicating that motion was detected. While I don't have Debug logs I was able to look at my event logs since Jan 2015 (when I started using Indigo) and to draw some conclusions.

- I found 64 errors like the one above in 51 separate days
- All the errors happen after Fibaro motion sensors (FGMS001) send a "status update is on" event
- Most of the errors (90%) come from the same Fibaro motion sensor ("Motion Sensor Studio", a shown in the above log sample). My educated guess is that the number of the errors on a single device is due to this device being in my study next to my computer. I use it to detect movement to keep my study light on hence why it fires very often compared to the other Fibaro sensors. But clearly the Fibaro motion sensors seem to be related to this errors as all the Z-Wave errors happened after events from these devices. Perhaps the fact that they are battery operated could mean the signal is weaker and packets can be corrupted from time to time.

I am running 6.1.8 and I have aprox 40 devices (most Z-Wave but some LightWave). My setup has been very stable aside from one occasion when things went bad due to a dead Fibaro Dimmer (see this thread: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15973. When this error happened today my Z-Wave network was down. I restarted Indigo and everything was fine after that. Given the number of times this has happened on my system without me noticing clearly seems to indicate a temporary issue. Tonight I was impatient and I restarted Indigo but clearly I would have seen this before if Z-Wave/Indigo was unable to recover from this situation.

Anything I can do to improve my setup? I have now enabled Debug Logging to see if I can catch the error again with Debug logs on.

Posted on
Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not positive this is related to a Z-Wave issue mentioned on a few other threads but it might be. We've addressed that problem, which caused the network to sometimes lock up if there is a lot of traffic, in v6.1.9 that was just posted.

Posted on
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:58 am
slackman1 offline

Just had this phenomena, it could not be resolved by reboots or reloads from software.
Had to shutdown the Mac, remove the stick, pressed the button, blue led blinking for inclusion mode, pressed it again to get out of inclusion mode (not sure this was necessary), reinsert the Z-wave stick, booted the Mac mini and Indigo was fine again. (macOS 10.11.6 + Indigo 7.4 on 2009 Mac mini)

Posted on
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you copy/paste what your Event Log showed?

The next time it occurs also try just unplugging the Z-Stick for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Does that help? (if not, copy/paste the Event Log window results into a reply for us).

Page 1 of 1