Aeon Z-stick Gen5

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:51 am
DrLove offline

Re: Aeon Z-stick Gen5

Any news on the backup/restore of Aeotec's sticks?

Love Kull (yes it's my name)
Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:01 am
lochnesz offline

Yes, but sad news...

Got this from Aeon Labs two weeks ago:

There has been too much focus on other priorities than the backup software as of late.
It was projected that it will be available December 15th, but there are always delays and i believe it should be available in Janurary or Februrary.

:? :cry:
Peter

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:16 am
DrLove offline

OK, thanks!
A good sign that they are working on something anyway. A few years back I was in contact w/ them regarding a backup/restore software and it was a dead end.
I can wait to Jan if necessary :)

//L

Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:00 am
mlooss offline

I received a Windows utility once, more than a year ago but it never worked for me or others. Later they seemed to have canceled any backup software development and it is news to me that they are on it again.

I myself and many others would argue that this should be a top priority, just wait until many of the older Z-Sticks start failing at the same time and customers becoming upset that there is no backup or easy way to migrate to a new Z-Stick. I had one stick fail on me and it took me a whole weekend to exclude and re-synch to a new one. When the G5 stick came out and the reviews were positive, I took the jump and went through the whole process again, wasting a whole weekend once again and listening to my wife laughing and complaining. She thought I was nuts going in an out of my home office all day long.

Frankly, I dont understand businesses that would not provide a backup solution. The fact that a stick doesn't fail that often is no excuse. I am a former airline pilot and we have a lot of redundancy and procedures to make sure a flight is completed successfully. Many the airlines could save a lot of money by using the excuse, well we don't make use them a of redundant systems very often, it is very rare a component fails, so lets git rid of them. Would any of you select this airline, because it crosses its fingers and hopes for the best, I don't think so but this is what all these companies do?

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05 am
DrLove offline

Had a run at that software too, did not work and then they stopped answering mail....
With 150+ nodes I don't want to re-include them all, that will take some serious time.

//L

Blog (in Swedish)
Sweden

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:08 pm
Jann offline

So, been searching the forums and can't find a great answer to the following:

I have Z-Stick S2. Bought a Gen5; I would like to know the following: From those that have done this... What is the best way to add each one.. is it one by one? (I have 35 lamps/plugs/etc) ... i.e.:

1. unplug S2
2. long press button
3. exclude individual device
4. short press Gen5
5. include individual device.

lather, rinse, repeat One of my issues is this: Are all devices numerically assigned like the old one... i.e.: the ID is always in the order you add it in.

That way I can count on 1 being the light in the hall, 2 being the light in the master bedroom... as long as they were added in that order.

Another issue is:

Once all devices are removed from S2 I also assume that I never plug it in again either. I just plug in the new one, double click the first lamp, then define & sync, choose the appropriate id, and let it sync.

Did I get anything wrong?

Thanks!

Jann

ALSO, I do have a "vera lite" hanging around with only a couple of locks on it. Has anyone ever plugged the S2 into the usb port and tried the Vera's "backup network" function to see if it will backup ... and therefore restore to the Gen5?

I searched google but the # of posts that have "vera lite z-stick S2 backup restore" found me this ... just a BIT scared to try it:

Code: Select all
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=9099.15

Quote from: strangely on January 16, 2012, 11:32:44 am
you can plug in your Aeon stick and change Vera to use the Aeon Stick instead! You do this by going to the Zwave settings and changeing the default port from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 (depends on which USB port its plugged into). After saving and rebooting, it should come up with your exisitng devices from the Aeon stick.

For reference: the Aeon Labs USB Z-Wave stick works fine in Vera Lite's USB slot, using /dev/ttyUSB0 (note capitalization). If you restore a backup made from a Vera2, it will use the value from the backup (/dev/tts/usb/0 or /dev/tts/usb/1) and will need to be manually changed.

BUT it seems they are speaking of a firmware version that is diff than the one I have

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hello Jann,

Your steps sound good to me. If I remember correctly, the Z-Sticks will stay in their exclude/include mode so you can do those steps sequentially with every device (and you will skip steps #2 and #4 after the first device since they will still be in those modes). The modules should include with sequential node ID's in the new Z-Stick, so if you can include them in the identical order as they were originally included with the old one it will make the syncing a bit easier in Indigo. I'd probably do the exclude/re-include in batches of 5 just to try to keep everything on track.

You are correct that you won't want to plug the S2 back in. If you do Indigo won't find any modules included in it (since they were excluded) and will disable communication with all your devices. You can right-click on the device in the main window to re-enable the communication (once the G5 Z-Stick is in) but it is a bit of a pain since you have to do it for each device.

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:32 am
Jann offline

Matt,

Thanks for the response...

If I do in batches of 5 do I plug in the Gen5 after the first 5 to reassign IDs -- or will that screw up the rest of the "unassigned-to-Gen5" devices?

I.e.: the other 30 devices will still have ids of the S2 stick.

Thanks in advance

Jann

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:03 am
jalves offline

Been following this thread as I'm contemplating getting a Gen5 version to replace my original z-stick. However, I'm still not clear what the advantages are of the new version. Is there something really compelling in the new version right now? Or is it that there are features that will make it more useful in the future?

FWIW, my z-wave system currently includes ~25 devices (several of which are multi-sensors) and all work well.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 am
toille27 offline

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 am
Jann offline

Jeff,

A few things about the Gen5 that I am switching because of?

0. (Really important to me) LINKING/Communications SPEED. The Gen5 tends to link and update links much faster than S2.
1. A new generation of Z-Wave... Z-Wave+ (i think it's called) It is Aeotec's Series 500 chip as well,
2. AES 128 bit encryption between devices that allow the + protocol
3. Allows me to use lower power (much lower power) Z-wave devices on my network.
4. Longer-range Z-Wave with less power and faster communication.

Another big thing that caused my upgrade is the S2's inability to link with newer devices like it should. Aeotec promised firmware upgrades for this product but I've never ever found them. They also promised easy "backup" of the S2's link-table and it never happened.

They went all-in on Gen5 with many many products on their own...not just waiting for other Z-Wave vendors to come out with them so I feel more secure with this series of products. Even though the Gen5 products are SUPPOSED To be downwardly compatible I like making sure they are.

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:54 am
jalves offline

Thank you both. Very helpful info. Further consideration is underway.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Jann wrote:
If I do in batches of 5 do I plug in the Gen5 after the first 5 to reassign IDs -- or will that screw up the rest of the "unassigned-to-Gen5" devices?

Yes, I would plug the G5 stick in after every 5 and re-sync those 5 devices. The first time you do it Indigo will probably disable communication internally with all of the devices (except maybe the first 5), but that is okay. As you re-sync each batch of 5 Indigo will automatically re-enable communication.

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:54 pm
Jann offline

Thanks Matt!

Bought V7.0.2 this morning, unlinked items from S2, one by one linked items to Gen5 (Found it easier to do all appliance outlets 1st, all dimmable 2nd, all switches 3rd, etc before my battery devices as that made a stronger repeating network.) Also, thanks for "controller include/exclude" from I7's interface. Took my laptop with me and it enabled the network to come up and running without optimizing cos when the item got included, the Gen5 already "knew" the route to get to it (i am assuming). FAST!

Now in the process of including Sensitive Strips for my back gates (went through 4-5 ecolink DWZWAVE2-ECO... they were good when CA had a drought... they died FAST when rain was continual.) So I wanted weatherproof door sensors for my outdoor gates. Expensive lession. Anyone reading this, please: buy outdoor electronics if you are gonna use them outdoors. Saves money in the long run - which I could've used to upgrade to i7 earlier :D !

For anyone wondering, the combination of I7, Gen5 & Sensitive Strips have a range that is just amazing! All the way past my garage and near the driveway gate! (literally 1000-or-so ft away.) The Gen5 also talked to my Kwikset 910 locks w/o going close TO the lock. Both Kwickset (and) Vera said it had to be REALLY close to pair the encryption keys. I7 & the Gen5 didn't have that downside. Must've been 100 ft away to one door and 250 to the other door...no issues!

Thanks a bunch Matt!

(btw: Just noticed I'm coming up on 10 years of being on the forums & being an Indigo user! To think I simply wanted it for X10! Who could've thought I would've been able to use it for everything from security to running my christmas lights in a fading pattern that has the neighbors jealous! Yes, I did tell them to get Indigo to do it!)

Posted on
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:56 pm
Jann offline

After three days w/Gen5 I have to say I am thrilled!

Much faster response w/my system.

The other thing? Love the thin Sensitive Strips. No false positives and (amazingly) no false negatives either. I doubted the product w/the size of the "triggering magnet" they say to use. BUT it works and works great!

I don't know how much of this all is a combo of Gen5 and I7 but if it is I7 causing the speed increase, then thanks Matt...

Well, thanks Matt anyway. Great product and I will tell everyone about it.

Jann