[ANSWERED]: Support multiple Z-Wave controllers?

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:47 am
autolog offline

[ANSWERED]: Support multiple Z-Wave controllers?

Maybe this should be in Feature Requests but anyway here goes posting in the Z-Wave forum. :D

I just removed my Z-Stick and plugged in my new ZME_UZB1. I had one node (no.4) on the ZME_UZB1 that I had setup using Zensys Tools on Windows. I got a string of error messages saying devices no longer had a matching module in the controller. It also complained that node 4 didn't match the previous device type.

So I think Indigo should handle multiple Z-Wave controllers and the database ought to be able to differentiate between these different controllers so that Indigo realises that similarly numbered nodes on more than one controller isn't the same.

It would make transferring devices from one controller to another easier AFAICS

Maybe there is an easier solution that I have missed?

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Support multiple Z-Wave controllers?

autolog wrote:
...ought to be able to differentiate between these different controllers so that Indigo realises that similarly numbered nodes on more than one controller isn't the same.

Isn't that what Indigo did when it gave you the errors? It is saying that the node information in the controller (ZME-UZB1) doesn't match what it thinks it should, so Indigo disables communication with those devices until you resync them (and specify the correct node IDs).

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:11 am
autolog offline

OK, I suppose what I am suggesting is that Indigo should be able to support more than one Z-Wave controller.

At the moment as I understand it, you would have to exclude every single one of your z-wave devices from the old controller before including them on the new controller and then getting Indigo to re-sync them. Depending on the size of your Z-Wave network, this could take an awful long time and is typically something you would have to do in a continuous exercise if you wanted to avoid extensive HA downtime. From a Change Management perspective this isn't desirable because it will inevitably involve a degree of Problem Management when things go pear shaped. :wink:

If Indigo handled multiple Z-Wave controllers, then one wouldn't have to go through a massive re-syncing exercise i.e. you could gradually migrate devices from one controller to another and take your time over it.

In some cases, you might even want to keep two controllers running?

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:19 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

This might be possible, but is a bit complicated. Z-Wave modules can only be included in 1 primary controller at a time. To be included in another primary controller, you have to exclude them from the previous Z-Wave network and include them into the new network. It is possible to have 1 primary and multiple secondary controllers, so in theory you could leave more than 1 USB controller plugged in and Indigo could juggle which one is primary versus secondary, but that is non-trivial to implement (both technically and on the usability front).

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 am
autolog offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Support multiple Z-Wave controllers?

I was thinking that Indigo would manage two primary controllers and it would know which devices belonged to which controller. So I would exclude a Z-Wave device from one controller and then include it on the new controller and use Indigo to re-sync it from the new controller. Then I don't think it would involve a secondary controller.

I don't see it as being much different to having two Mac Minis beside one another each with their own Z-Wave Controller.

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah, gotcha. We already have multiple interfaces on the plugin request list, but I'll add this use case to the notes for it.

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:50 am
lochnesz offline

+1

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 am
lochnesz offline

It would be good to have more Z-sticks to one server to cover a bigger area, let's say more buildings. I have two houses on a plot where the Z-wave reach is not really enough between the houses. I could use a USB extender to connect a second Z-stick which would handle the Z-wave devices in the second house.

Matt/Jay, what do you think?

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

See Matt's reply 3 up... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:17 am
lochnesz offline

Understood, I was just giving a different reason for having support for multiple controllers, i.e. not for migration but for range extension. In this case it would be nice to have support for even more than 2 controllers, maybe "limitless" (within addressable limits regarding programming Indigo).

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 pm
Turribeach offline

+1

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 9:13 pm
kwijibo007 offline

This would also allow you to use two different frequency Z-Sticks. Manufactures are slow (sometimes not at all) to release devices in the 921.42 (Australia / New Zealand) frequency. Devices always cost far more too…

I realise that this is illegal but I come from a country of convicts! :D

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:37 pm
Venicenerd offline

Is it possible yet to use two Z-wave sticks on the same Indigo install? I also most likely will need one European stick (so that I can operate my Yale Z-Wave 2 module which is only sold in Europe) and one US stick for all remaining Z-wave devices. So basically the European stick will only connect to one device while the US stick would take care of the rest.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

And as is pointed out in other threads, using EU Z-Wave in the US is illegal because the frequency overlaps other technologies (mobile phones perhaps?).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:52 pm
Venicenerd offline

Ah, gotcha. We already have multiple interfaces on the plugin request list, but I'll add this use case to the notes for it.

Matt, you mentioned something about multiple interfaces. Is there ANY way to have to have two Z-wave sticks running at the same time in Indigo? It seems like an aweful waste of resources to have another Mac Mini running just to connect to one single device.

And as is pointed out in other threads, using EU Z-Wave in the US is illegal because the frequency overlaps other technologies (mobile phones perhaps?).

Yes, I believe in the US mobile phones use those frequencies. However, my secondary lock is deep in the basement and there is absolutely no cell phone penetration down there so I’m not really that concerned about it to be honest. ;)