Horstmann ASR2-ZW/Secure SSR302

Posted on
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:39 pm
IndigoSam offline

Re: Horstmann ASR2-ZW/Secure SSR302

autolog wrote:
IndigoSam wrote:
... And now one of the Spirit radiator valves has dropped out .....

I had one of my Spirits go no ack on me yesterday. I thought it might be the batteries and changed them, then it came with INC on the stat saying it wanted to be included. Now I can't include it (even after doing a factory reset). The Spirit starts the count down at 120 and stays at 120 - it should count down and stop once the include starts and ends. :(

Tempting fate, but I haven't had a Z-Stick fail yet, so can't advise.

Have you tried closing everything down stop the server, reboot the Mac and start Indigo up again. It might kickstart it? :)

I have tried Indigo restart and reboot and restart.

Just tried an optimise network and I'm getting the following for every single device (powered or battery), EXCEPT for two wall switches:

Code: Select all
   Z-Wave                          Optimizing - ping failed
   Z-Wave                          Optimizing - finding neighbors
   Z-Wave                          Optimizing - requesting neighbor list update
   Z-Wave                          Optimizing - neighbor list update failed

Sam.

Posted on
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:37 pm
IndigoSam offline

lanbrown wrote:
What Z-wave controller are you using? Maybe you can perform a backup on it and then restore it? If all else fails, reset the Z-wave and include everything all over again?

It is an Aeotec S2.

I have just ordered a gen5 from Amazon (which will arrive tomorrow, bit mind blowing that). I'm pretty much convinced the z-wave stick has the problem.

Another socket module (for a lamp) has just been lost and will not sync.

I will look up how to back up a stick and restore to the new one.

Sam.

Posted on
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:00 pm
IndigoSam offline

lanbrown wrote:
One of the forms members from Germany was able to back his up. You might be able to then restore to a Gen 5 as well. I have a spare Gen 5 Z-stick and perform regular backups after several devices (or a hard to get to device) has been added.

My current zwave stick is now acting oddly when I unplug it and 'manually' exclude/include, so it really seems like it is the problem. To the point where I will give the back up a go, but I may just start again as I can't be sure this stick is in a sane state.

I've pretty much decoupled devices from logic by using variables, so that isn't a huge deal, but that isn't going to help with plugins, like Jon's Spirit controller.

Your backup Gen 5 is a great idea.

Sam.

Posted on
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 pm
IndigoSam offline

lanbrown wrote:
Also, please post what firmware your Z-stick comes with. They had 1.01 available, pulled it, then put it back and then pulled it again. I updated both of mine, someone else did as well. I haven't had any issues. So I'm curious as to what they are shipping. of course, we don't know how long the Z-stick you're getting has been sitting on the shelf either.

No probs, will do, and thank your for your help this evening.

Sam.

Posted on
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm
IndigoSam offline

Gen5 arrived today.

Not quite sure how to find out the firmware version?

I've tried the back up, include as secondary, but shift to new controller button remains stubbornly greyed out.

I tried agin, resetting the Gen5 and starting from scratch. Second time the Gen5 failed to get included by the S2.

Looks like it will have to be a complete restart from the beginning.

Sam.

Posted on
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:11 pm
Turribeach offline

Sam, as side note can I suggest that you add a cheap 7 Day Programmable Thermostat to your setup? I have the Horstmann ASR2-ZW/Secure SSR302 both for hot water and heating but I also wanted to have the backup of an "analog" system. In reality all 7 Day Programmable Thermostats are now digital as well but the cheap ones don't connect to the internet nor they depend on anything else. Just like the Horstmann the Programmable Thermostats are just relays. As such you can put as many relays as you want in parallel. This means that any of relays can turn the boiler on. So while my setup has been rock solid (touch wood) I know I can easily fall back to the 7 Day Programmable Thermostat if I need to. This has come handy for instance when the plumber comes to service the boiler and wants to turn the heating on/off I don't need to explain anything as all plumbers are familiar with standard Programmable Thermostats. My Programmable Thermostat handles both HW and Heating and it's wired to the boiler in parallel to the two Horstmann relays so I just keep it on HW=Off and Heating=Off as I control both HW and Heating via Indigo with schedules.

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 am
IndigoSam offline

Turribeach wrote:
Sam, as side note can I suggest that you add a cheap 7 Day Programmable Thermostat to your setup? .

This is a great idea!

I have the old heating/water Honeywell programmer that I removed to replace with the SSR302. I kept it to restore if/when I moved house and to have as a spare if the SR302 didn't work out.

Unfortunately I put it into the virtual box of 'things I need to keep just in case, but not do something useful like cataloging where they actually are', a virtual box that is physically spread across plastic crates, cardboard boxes, drawers and cupboards located in the house, out buildings, garage and loft.

The one sure-fire way of finding it is to order another one.

Sam.

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:03 pm
IndigoSam offline

lanbrown wrote:
The firmware version will be listed in the log when the Z-wave stick/interface is initialized by Indigo. If you go the interface and click reload it should tell you the version.

I don't have any experience with backing up an S2. I see that you posted in the other thread.

Sorry, forgot about this. Firmware:

Code: Select all
connected to Z-Wave 4.54 static controller interface on /dev/cu.usbmodem411 (firmware 1.01)

Sam.

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:16 pm
IndigoSam offline

I wonder if end user upgrading was the problem, rather than the firmware itself?

I'm guessing in the factory they can just flash whatever build they want, until it is correct.

Sam.