Zwave.me UZB1, instead of Aeon S2 - works so much better

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:02 am
shapa offline

Re: Zwave.me UZB1, instead of Aeon S2 - works so much better

wiery wrote:
Aeon is debuting a Gen 5 z stick at CES, just confirmed by them when I spotted it in the photo they posted on twitter.

Good news indeed :)

Hopefully there will be no need for me to buy a new one, but i'd be happy to see multiple simultaneous z-wave controllers support in Indigo to be able to split my network by a smaller parts.

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi guys,

I have manage to get an zwave.me USZ1 today. If anyone succeeded to transfer the settings from the Aeonlab-Stick to the USB1 I would be very happy to know how you did it.
TIA
Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:34 am
richo offline

Umtauscher wrote:
Hi guys,

I have manage to get an zwave.me USZ1 today. If anyone succeeded to transfer the settings from the Aeonlab-Stick to the USB1 I would be very happy to know how you did it.
TIA
Wilhelm

You can try with zensys tool or something similar if you have it. Have to add UZB1 to the network as "Secondary" and then "Shift Primary" to UZB1
(First you need to change the role of z-stick to SIS/SUC and UZB1 to SIS as well)
Unfortunately what I have noticed it didn't shift the associations from the 1st controller to 2nd one in group 3 (in general reporting group)
This means that you will have to resynch all devices in Indigo anyway to create reporting association with the new controller.

In testing it worked for me but haven't try on large installation.

If you don't have many devices it's probably better to create a z-wave network again and then just resync devices in Indigo.

Ryszard

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:42 am
richo offline

matt (support) wrote:
Hi Richo,

Have you tried enabling the checkbox to have Indigo not do the node neighbor finding? That can take a long time (especially with big networks), which can be an issue with battery powered modules that time out. Unfortunately, some battery modules (especially some of the Fibaros) do not like to stay awake long enough which can be problematic during the syncing operation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have discovered it myself :-)
As shapa has mentioned unfortunately it's a cumbersome process anyway. Very often Indigo can't find the return route and the whole process has to be repeated many times.
I'm using zensys to assign routes manually if possible and sometimes it help but not always.

It would be great if Indigo could somehow have a special routine to synch battery devices repeatedly for a few hours after the device wakes up as probably other controllers are doing.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the solution. If you want you can check my post at Fibaro Forum - you may get new customer even though Fibaro was trying to block it ;-)
http://forum.fibaro.com/viewtopic.php?t=6080

Ryszard

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:51 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks,

what I wanted to do was copy the controller to another without changing my "live" one for the moment.
That wouldn't work with the controller shift, right?

The problem with my network is, that I have several modules that cannot be easily reached. So I would rather try tp copy the network.
Wasn't there someone reporting this was doable with the open-zwave drivers und open-zwave-control-panel?

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:06 pm
richo offline

Umtauscher wrote:
Thanks,

what I wanted to do was copy the controller to another without changing my "live" one for the moment.
That wouldn't work with the controller shift, right?

The problem with my network is, that I have several modules that cannot be easily reached. So I would rather try tp copy the network.
Wasn't there someone reporting this was doable with the open-zwave drivers und open-zwave-control-panel?

You don't always have to reach modules to exclude/include them. It these are main powered in general it's enough to toggle a main switch 3 or times ...

Ryszard

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:16 pm
Umtauscher offline

Sadly this is not the fact for düwi dimmer modules.

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:01 pm
shapa offline

Umtauscher,

Technically the procedure is identical with openzwave - controller shift, etc. Anyway it's a good idea to resync all devices afterwords

There is also an option to send and receive configuration from one controller to another, you can try that.

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:08 pm
Juju offline

richo wrote:
Otherwise I'm quite happy with the solution. If you want you can check my post at Fibaro Forum - you may get new customer even though Fibaro was trying to block it ;-)

I love :-)

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

richo wrote:

Guys, while we really appreciate your enthusiasm for Indigo, we wouldn't want it to effect any conversations we may need to have with Fibaro about specific issues/devices. We have sometimes had to go back to device manufacturers to get clarification on implementation details and what we really don't want to happen is for them to brush us off as those "Indigo" guys.

So, we would be extremely appreciative if you cut back on the rhetoric about Indigo over on their forums. Again, we very much appreciate the championing of Indigo to all that will listen - but let's respect that the Fibaro forum is run by Fibaro for the benefit of their customers.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:12 pm
wiery offline

Don't worry Jay, after the disaster they just had with the V4 launch and product bans, they probably won't be around for CES 2016

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 am
Umtauscher offline

Just to add my 2 ct, I have always been quite fond of my Fibaro devices. I don't own a HC2 though.

Anyways, I think their devices are really well designed and in general they work quite well. I once had a problem with their switch modules and they replaced them all with no charge not even bought from them directly.
So let's be fair, I very much hope they will be there in the future.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:02 am
shapa offline

They've got 2 different departments (+ marketing, which is the best. A lot of promises, shiny presentations).

HW one is not bad, really. Well, some products are dangerous (like an inline relay - that's why it was prohibited in Sweden), some (like motion sensors) had very serious firmware issues (the only way to fix is to replace it)...

Software department is outstandingly bad. Something is wrong fundamentally. I do not believe they will make it right - they didn't for 3 years.

BTW, guys from Fribaro HW department are always asking do not mix them with SW guys :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:44 pm
shapa offline

Just to update...

Latest RaZberry (2.0.1) fully supports UZB1 and you can update firmware (to 5.02) and bootloader, as well as unlock additional functionality (paid upgrade, about 60$) of the key.

BTW, from RaZberry UI you can force secure (which is not supported by Indigo) or insecure device inclusion

No need to use Zensys tools / windows anymore.

Also, backup works - z-wave network info saved.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-07-25 01.42.52.png
Screenshot 2015-07-25 01.42.52.png (291.75 KiB) Viewed 4571 times

Posted on
Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:24 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi shapa,
thanks for the report.
Is there any chance of making a backup of the Aeon stick and restoring on a UZB1?
TIA

Wilhelm