HomeSeer HSM200 changing to Centigrade

Posted on
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 am
larryx10 offline

HomeSeer HSM200 changing to Centigrade

I have several HomeSeer HSM200 sensors. Occasionally, one will switch from the configured Fahrenheit to report temps in Centigrade. I can fix it in the device configuration, but it doesn't last. Eventually, days or weeks later, in will switch back to Centigrade. Has anyone else seen this? Is this a device issue, or an Indigo Issue? This happens on Indigo 7.4.1, and on older releases.

Posted on
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:24 am
larryx10 offline

Re: HomeSeer HSM200 changing to Centigrade

I've looked into this some more, and the configuration documentation I can find for HSM-200 (https://products.z-wavealliance.org/pro ... 54/configs) does not have a Fahrenheit'Centigrade option. That would imply that this is an Indigo issue.

Posted on
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

How Z-Wave modules handle °F/°C conversion is, unfortunately, all over the place. Some have configuration parameters that handle it. Other supports specifying in the Z-Wave request/poll command that Indigo sends a flag that requests the result to be in either °C or °F. That is how the HSM200 works. So when you change it in the device configuration that just sets an internal preference in Indigo so that Indigo knows how to format the request/poll command it sends the module, then the module responds back with the value in the correct units. This means Indigo is responsible for sending the correct command, but the module is responsible for actually doing the conversion and sending back the correct result.

In this case I'm not sure what is going wrong. After it flips back to °F when you go back into the device settings UI how does it show it is configured? That is, does the UI itself also flip back to °F?

Posted on
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:59 pm
larryx10 offline

It's. normally set to ºF in the UI. Then, at some point, the log shows temperatures being reported in ºC. If I go back and look at the UI, it still says ºF. To fix it, I charge the UI to ºC and then back to ºF. I don't know for sure how long it stays correct as ºF, but its probably days or weeks. I've gone back to look at the logs, and I see it reporting every 10 minutes. Suddenly, one of the reports will be in ºC, with nothing in the log between the last ºF and the ºC to show anything wrong.

Posted on
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:53 pm
durosity offline

Perhaps it’d be worth just leaving it as °C and have one of the conversion plugins convert it to F for whatever you need it for? It’s not ideal, but if they keep flipping back at least that’d offer a consistent way of getting it in F.

Or just embrace metric. *flee*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1