Using a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z to trigger a trigger

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z to trigger a trigger

I recommended a simple screen capture utility that you could use to take smaller images. I let you know that Indigo doesn't support this device (and, by the way, there are other Leviton devices that do work with Indigo as identified on our supported hardware list, it's generally the multibutton controllers which are implemented oddly) but that the 3rd party plugin might.

I also asked for the screenshot because I didn't recognize your typed response (which is what I said).

If you refuse to help us help you, then there's not a lot more we can do.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 3:04 pm
brianlloyd offline

jay (support) wrote:
I recommended a simple screen capture utility that you could use to take smaller images. I let you know that Indigo doesn't support this device (and, by the way, there are other Leviton devices that do work with Indigo as identified on our supported hardware list, it's generally the multibutton controllers which are implemented oddly) but that the 3rd party plugin might.

And a multi-button controller is specifically what I need. If there are no in-wall, multi-button controllers for Z-Wave that work then I am pretty much done here. If there is a 3rd party plug-in that works, point me at it. I have no trouble being a beta tester.

I also asked for the screenshot because I didn't recognize your typed response (which is what I said).

Which is why I went back and provided a second message with all the information from the screens. If you still want the screen shots I will get them for you. Someone else pointed me to Cmd-Shift-4 to take images of only a portion of the screen. Now I can make smaller shots.

Regardless, if I am doing it wrong then it is probably easier to start me from scratch. It doesn't matter how I am doing it now. You did tell me what I was doing wrong with the KeypadLinc and now that is working to generate trigger events.

If you refuse to help us help you, then there's not a lot more we can do.

I really thought I was giving you all the information you requested since I had copied all the text from the windows.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question:

Is there any way to make a VRCZ4-M0Z work within Indigo either using the existing functionality or with a 3rd party plug-in?

If not, I can go back to my Insteon multi-button KeypadLinc but then I need to figure out why I can receive messages from the Insteon devices but not send to them.

I really do appreciate the help. I may not have the most complex Indigo setup but it is complex enough. Pretty much everything in my house, e.g. lighting, shades, HVAC, locks, A/V, is controlled by Indigo. I have about 120 controlled devices in my home at this point and I keep adding more. I have made some false starts, e.g. Milocks locks suck for very large values of suck and Insteon is unreliable, but am converging on something that works.

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm
howartp offline

Let me catch up on this thread and others about Leviton and come back tomorrow.

viewforum.php?f=207 is my ZWave Scene Controller plugin - that will be your best bet for getting anywhere (at least until @brettlid gets his finished and posted), but it's likely we'll need more work doing.

Peter

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

brianlloyd wrote:
Is there any way to make a VRCZ4-M0Z work within Indigo either using the existing functionality or with a 3rd party plug-in?

We don't know - see @howartp's post above and the post from @brettlid - one of those might work but you'll need to work with them. We do know that it currently isn't supported directly by Indigo (which I mentioned above).

brianlloyd wrote:
I can go back to my Insteon multi-button KeypadLinc but then I need to figure out why I can receive messages from the Insteon devices but not send to them.

Please, for all of our sanities, post about that problem in the Insteon forum if you want to figure it out - this thread has gotten too confused with the two issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 9:51 pm
brianlloyd offline

Wilco.

Posted on
Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Are you sure the model of your modules is the VRCZ4? It is identifying itself as the Leviton RZCS4 which uses entirely different scene commands. The RZCS4 is supported by Indigo directly, whereas the VRCZ4 is not because it requires programming of the individual scenes. Based on your Event Log your module is already sending out scene commands though, and it is also returning the model ID number used by Indigo's RZCS4 definition. As to why the scene 1 isn't causing the Trigger, based on your Event Log it looks like it is sending a different scene ID than what Indigo expects for that first button. We can try to modify Indigo to support that additional button (although it requires more than just a device definition change because we also need to support the other scene ID currently in the definition for button 1).

Try creating Triggers for the other 3 scene commands. Do those get triggered when the buttons are pressed? I suspect they will. The current device definition has a non-standrad value used for scene 1 because that is what was needed for another user that has the RZCS4, but it looks like your module is sending out the more standard ID. The other 3 scene IDs used by Indigo's definition are the standard ones, so I suspect those might already work.

Posted on
Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm
brianlloyd offline

What I ordered and the box it came in said VRCZ4-M0Z. But it is clearly identifying itself as an RCZS4. It doesn't matter to me so long as I can press a button and activate a trigger.

Yes, scenes 2-4 generate triggers. They still generate 4 events per button press. Now I need to figure out how to reset the unit so all 4 buttons generate the 'normal' scene sequences. Any suggestions there? Apparently my documentation is for the VRCZ4-M0. I'll try that reset procedure and then reinclude it in the network.

Posted on
Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is there a label on the module itself? It is using the same ID that an older RCZS4 uses, but it is possible they are re-using that ID now for a newer version of the VRCZ4. They shouldn't do that, but it is still possible so it would be interesting to see how the module itself is physically labelled.

Re-syncing it isn't going to get scene 1 triggering. That is going to require a device definition and a code change to Indigo (now on my request list). In the mean time you can use the raw Z-Wave Command Received trigger type. The command bytes you will watch to match on are:

Code: Select all
* 0x04 0x2B 0x01 0x01 0xFF *

Just use that for scene 1. For the other scenes use the scene commands since those work. Add a Disable Trigger Action with the Auto enable Trigger checkbox enabled (and a time of just a couple of seconds) to have each trigger automatically disable itself for a couple of seconds. That will filter out the duplicates that are being sent.

Posted on
Mon May 28, 2018 4:06 pm
brettlid offline

Should have a working copy of the Leviton VRCZ zone controller plug-in I've been working next week.

Stay tuned!

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 am
brettlid offline

My Plugin is available now in the Plugin store for the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z zone controller. Give it a try.

http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/168/

Brett

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:29 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Awesome Brett – thanks for sharing this!

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am
brianlloyd offline

brettlid wrote:
My Plugin is available now in the Plugin store for the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z zone controller. Give it a try.

http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/168/

Brett

Thank you for producing this. I also thank you for producing instructions to go with it. I have installed it but am a bit confused. I don't actually use Z-Wave associations or scenes. I generate scenes using action groups since I have a mix of Z-Wave, Insteon, and other devices controlled through other plug-ins. (You should see the complexity of my A/V control.) So for me I just need the button presses to activate a trigger. The behavior will then be the actions invoked by the trigger. I didn't see anything in your instructions for capturing the button presses in a trigger. Is there something I missed?

Thanks again.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 pm
brettlid offline

Thank you for producing this. I also thank you for producing instructions to go with it. I have installed it but am a bit confused. I don't actually use Z-Wave associations or scenes. I generate scenes using action groups since I have a mix of Z-Wave, Insteon, and other devices controlled through other plug-ins. (You should see the complexity of my A/V control.) So for me I just need the button presses to activate a trigger. The behavior will then be the actions invoked by the trigger. I didn't see anything in your instructions for capturing the button presses in a trigger. Is there something I missed?

Thanks again.

You'll still have to associate the Indigo Z-Wave interface, its device 001 with each of the 4 groups using the Indigo - Interface | Zwave | manage associations - menu command. This is the only way Indigo will get the proper notifications to trigger events. Continue to set up the device as indicated in the instructions, you'll still need to assign scene numbers.

Not yet included in the instructions are the tiggers. But make a new trigger and select the type "Zone-Scene Handler event" then select whether you want tor trigger off the Button Command or Scene Command, It will ask you then for which Zone-Scene handler and which button number or scene number.

Hope that helps

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:54 pm
brianlloyd offline

brettlid wrote:
You'll still have to associate the Indigo Z-Wave interface, its device 001 with each of the 4 groups using the Indigo - Interface | Zwave | manage associations - menu command. This is the only way Indigo will get the proper notifications to trigger events. Continue to set up the device as indicated in the instructions, you'll still need to assign scene numbers.

OK, I am confused. There are no associations to manage since I don't have any actual scenes set up in any of my Z-Wave devices.

Hmmm, so I guess I set up an association for each group[1..4] with only the Indigo Z-wave interface listed? Is that why you drew a red circle around the Indigo Z-Wave interface in your example? Seems that should exist by default.

Not yet included in the instructions are the tiggers. But make a new trigger and select the type "Zone-Scene Handler event" then select whether you want tor trigger off the Button Command or Scene Command, It will ask you then for which Zone-Scene handler and which button number or scene number.

Hope that helps

Better. Not sure what the difference between a button command and scene command is and when you would use one over the other.

Am I unusual in that I don't actually set up scenes in the Z-Wave hardware?

Again, thanks for hacking this.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:25 pm
howartp offline

brianlloyd wrote:
Am I unusual in that I don't actually set up scenes in the Z-Wave hardware?.

Brian, you're not incorrect in your thinking.

There's three ways if doing "Scenes" in Zwave.

Basic Scenes
Central Scenes
Scenes in devices

You're used to most remote control methods whereby you press button 1 which says to Indigo " Button 1" - then you set Indigo to do something(s) in response.

Both Basic and Central work in this way.

Leviton and Cooper work differently. They have the something(s) stored into their hardware and expect you to press a button on the device which sends out the something(s) to the relevant devices.

What this plugin author (whose name I can't see without leaving this message!) has had to do is add Indigo as a Something into EACH of the button scenes in the device. When you press the button, Leviton then thinks it's telling some devices to do Something, but it's actually telling Indigo to do Something ('scene 1') which Indigo THEN handles by trigger as you expect.

That's why setup is so tricky, and why it's taken both of us so long to get implemented.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro