Periodic DSC errors

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 am
pgershon offline

Periodic DSC errors

I have been using the DSCR plugin with Envisalink 3 for many years now without issue. In the last 10 days or so, I started getting periodic errors messages in my log as below. Generally checksum and connection errors. I still get messages logged when doors/windows open/close etc, so the plugin is generally working. Not sure what to make of the error messages.

Only thing that changed is that my iMac was upgraded to 12.3 and as a result, I had to move Indigo Server to a MacBookPro running 12.0.1. I seem to have smoothed over all the other plugin kinks of transition, but not for DSC.

Here is the log (I tried to show the working and corrupted DSC entries - the re-initiation of teh plugin was spontaneous - I did not call for it):

Code: Select all
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:07:20 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Master Bedroom" temperature changed to 71.0

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:12:28 AM
   DSC Alarm Error                 Connection RX Error: connection failed ([Errno 54] Connection reset by peer)
   DSC Alarm Error                 Tried to send data but socket seems to have closed.  Trying to re-initialize.
   DSC Alarm                       Initializing communication at address: 192.168.1.218:4025
   DSC Alarm                       Communication established
   DSC Alarm                       Connected to Envisalink.
   DSC Alarm Error                 Timed out after waiting for response to command 001 for 3 seconds, retrying.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:17:41 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Living Room" temperature changed to 70.0

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:18:10 AM
   DSC Alarm                       Alarm Zone 'Glass Doors - Great Room' Opened.
   DSC Alarm                       Alarm Zone 'Glass Doors - Great Room' Closed.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:20:12 AM
   DSC Alarm                       Alarm Zone 'Glass Doors - Great Room' Opened.
   DSC Alarm                       Alarm Zone 'Glass Doors - Great Room' Closed.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:23:32 AM
   DSC Alarm                       Alarm Zone 'Main Doors' Opened.
   DSC Alarm                       Alarm Zone 'Main Doors' Closed.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:26:25 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-TV Room" temperature changed to 71.0

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:32:13 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Entry Foyer" temperature changed to 71.0

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:34:52 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Living Room" temperature changed to 71.0

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:48:01 AM

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:52:42 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Powder Room Overhead" on

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:55:59 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Powder Room Sconce" off
   Received INSTEON                "Powder Room Overhead" off

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:57:41 AM
   DSC Alarm Error                 Checksum did not match on a received packet.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:58:17 AM

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:59:33 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Living Room" temperature changed to 72.0

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:37 am
Monstergerm offline

Re: Periodic DSC errors

It sounds like something similar to what you had before.

https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18664

Are you signed up with EyezOn and can check for error messages there?
I would try to restart the EVL from its internal website and/or try power recycling your whole alarm system.

I do see the Errno 54 and "Trying to re-initialize" once in a while, maybe 2-3 times a year, and the plugin always recovers. I have never seen a bad checksum error. You might have to turn on debug to see what exactly there is happening. But I suspect it has something to do with the Envisalink still talking to the old iMac.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:29 pm
pgershon offline

I just rebooked from webpage (went to its IP address in browser and signed in with user/user - mentioning so I and others recall in the future). I will report back if this corrects the issue after a few days. Makes sense that somehow the old machine was still listed as active.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:43 pm
pgershon offline

did not fix issue

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:32 pm
Monstergerm offline

I think the checksum errors are related to the closed socket and the plugin is trying to verify the checksum of an empty buffer.

From what I am reading on many boards is that the closed socket issue is in general a network issue and happens often when switching computers and the port is still open on the old computer.

Is Indigo completely off on the iMac? Is the EVL on latest firmware? Are you using a static IP address for the EVL (recommended)? Does Indigo have all the privacy settings granted it needs on the MacBook Pro?

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:59 am
durosity offline

Also you don’t have the envisalink set up to be used for homebridge or something like that do you? That’d also cause that behaviour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1