Alarm Pad Issues

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:19 pm
jltnol offline

Alarm Pad Issues

First, I know this forum is designed for the DSC Plugin, but I'm still hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a DSC 1864 alarm panel, and it went out, so bought a used one from eBay. I had my installer come in and get it setup, but he's not the best at this, so am looking for help.

Right now, when I press the AWAY button on the pad, the screen goes blank. When I have the EnvisaLink issue the AWAY command, the word that comes up on the display is PROGRAM. I was told/read that the pad itself needs to be programmed but can't really find any instructions on how that happens. Frankly, that doesn't make a lot of sense, especially given its the same pad as with the previous panel which worked perfectly. But I honestly have no idea. I do have the installer code, and would like to get this working as it should.. .pressing the AWAY button or issuing the AWAY command via EnvisaLink puts the system into the Armed Away mode.

I have basically the same issue with the STAY command. Pressing the button only blanks the display, so I'm thinking it too needs to be programmed.

I THINK the panel I have is the TYCO PK5501. It has a display that mainly shows the time, so I know its not a full Alpha-numeric display. I'm assuming this should be easy to set right, but I'm curious as to why pressing the buttons the pad and issuing the same command via EnvisaLink, seems to do two different things.

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:49 pm
Monstergerm offline

Re: Alarm Pad Issues

I am just guessing here since our installer did all this programming. Since your keypad is used it might have a number of settings that don't match with what you want to do. Do you have the "installation instructions" for it? They mention:
1) Enroll keypad to control a particular zone and assign a slot. Make sure slot is different from other keypads you have and that zone is set to the zone you want to control.
2) Program those five function keys to control what you want, like Stay Arm, Away Arm etc.

My guess is that this keypad does not have the default settings and you need to follow those install instructions first.

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:57 pm
jltnol offline

I'll look around and see. I have the installer manual for the board, but not for the keypad, which is the one original installled. Although I was told the keypad had to be programmed, I'm thinking that really isn't correct

And while I'm kind of brave, I am intimidated by trying to program the board via the keypad. Just not quite sure how it works, so am reluctant to dive too deep. There just seem way too many things I can do wrong without knowing what I'm doing, so UNDOING them gets to be impossible.

I THINK I have found a work-around for my issue.. but still.... its annoying.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:27 am
agame offline

I've installed a couple of DSC systems and my recollection is keypads need to be enrolled, they won't just work.

The installer instructions are here:https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=23733.

Configuration of the DSC is tedious, but pretty straightforward once you get the hang. And you can do a factory reset.

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:29 pm
jltnol offline

Thanks.

That is the manual I've been looking for, so that is a huge help.

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 pm
johnfdl offline

Configuring my DSC was a nightmare. It took me days to understand how to properly configure my zones and system. It may be that it is far superior to configuring other systems, but I found it pretty counter-intuitive and super tedious. I kept thinking, wow.....a webpage with all the config options would be a lot easier than pressing a boat load of buttons to navigate menus and make selections. But as others pointed out, once past the learning curve and get it set up, it's flawless. It integrates great with Indigo and despite the painful initial experience I had, I'd likely pick the same board if I had to do it all over again.

Posted on
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:54 pm
jltnol offline

Just out of curiosity, do I need to "enroll" the Envisalink?

Posted on
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 pm
agame offline

Just out of curiosity, do I need to "enroll" the Envisalink?

no, it emulates a printer interface that has a slot already reserved. (I gather that is only the case with DSC- config needed with Honeywell).

Configuring my DSC was a nightmare. It took me days

I'd recommend downloading and printing out the installer manual, it has worksheets for setting out the config parameters you need. You're right if anything is wrong the keypad will just throw errors and I did need a couple of factory resets on the first one...but once up and running you will never need to touch it (if only other plugins were like that :wink: ). One thing I've found especially tedious is figuring out all the config to completely disable telephone dialing/line monitoring etc, its hiding everywhere.

The first step would be reading the current config of whatever isn't working properly and getting it all in the worksheets.

I've found it less cryptic programming on the DSC. touch-screen https://www.dsc.com/alarm-security-products/PTK5507%20-%20PowerSeries%20TouchScreen%20Security%20Interface/1393 by comparison to the LCD...the codes are still required but less typing/easier navigation.

Page 1 of 1