Can I enable/disable the DSC Squawk option?

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:40 am
johnfdl offline

Can I enable/disable the DSC Squawk option?

I've been using DSC Plug In for years now to arm/disarm my system. It's been awesome. I am now trying to determine if I can enable/disable the squawk option on the panel via the Send Multiple Keypresses option (or in some other manner via Indigo). Is this possible?

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:05 pm
durosity offline

Re: Can I enable/disable the DSC Squawk option?

Can you do that via your normal keypad? It’s not an option I’ve used before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:42 pm
johnfdl offline

Yes, from my keypad: *8 [installer code] 014 then toggle option 1 to toggle between on and off.

I typically have it on so I can hear when the alarm is armed/disarmed (as it gives a very brief squawk). But now that I have moved the panel from the basement to the main floor, it's much louder. So I thought to toggle on at 8AM and off at 10PM so it doesn't wake me on when the alarm disarms at 6 AM. The alternative is to wrap a towel around the siren or just leave it disabled.

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:31 pm
durosity offline

Are you using an envisalink or IT-100 to connect to the alarm panel?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:08 pm
johnfdl offline

Envisalink 3

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:30 pm
Monstergerm offline

The multiple keypress command is limited to 6 characters at a time. So you would have to send several sets of commands in a row. I never had luck with this due to timeouts or buffer overflows. Also there is no error checking. The TPI manual specifically warns against using this command with installer code:

Using the TPI commands 070 and 071, you can conceivably put the panel into installers mode (*8). The danger here is that when in installers mode most of the commands are locked out so you could end up dead-locking yourself with the only way out of installers being to power cycle the panel.

I am not quite sure what you want to accomplish. The keypad itself already makes a beep-beep-beep sound when the alarm gets disarmed. And you can have the keypad countdown beeps until the house is fully armed. Combined with a control page that shows me the armed status of each partition I don't have the need for a bell squawk. And wrapping a towel around the siren would totally defeat having a security alarm at all.

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:39 pm
johnfdl offline

Thanks for the info. I hadn't had luck with it so I guess sending keystrokes is not a reliable approach. I understand the keypad chimes, but I like the slight jolt that comes from the squawk (just not at 6 AM). Fallback is to schedule the alarm disarm at 8AM, but there are times I awake early and forget to disarm the alarm before stepping outside to the porch to enjoy my coffee in the AM. Lots of workaround options, but I just wanted to rule out Indigo controlling the squawk option before falling back to workarounds.

Posted on
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:56 pm
Korey offline

johnfdl wrote:
I awake early and forget to disarm the alarm before stepping outside to the porch to enjoy my coffee in the AM. Lots of workaround options, but I just wanted to rule out Indigo controlling the squawk option before falling back to workarounds.

I have a button on my outletlink that controls the espresso machine set to disable the alarm whenever it is pressed (with conditions).

This way if we are up before its scheduled, pressing the button will wake the house and no worries about setting the alarm off. :D

--
Korey

Page 1 of 1