USB-Serial

Posted on
Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:48 pm
rjs104 offline

USB-Serial

Hi,

I have a USB-Serial adaptor (prolific), for which I've installed the drivers, and System Information shows it as being present.

It doesn't appear in the DSC plugin drop-down as a serial port to choose.

Has anyone else got one of these USB-Serial adaptors working - what am I missing?

Cheers!

Richard.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:57 am
travisc offline

Re: USB-Serial

Hmmm, not sure. I also have a prolific serial adapter for one of my devices and it shows up in the list.

That said, I've been having major problems with that adapter. I use it with my 1-wire temperature plugin and the driver brings down the machine about once a week. It brings it down so hard I have to do a hard reset from the back, can't even SSH in to reboot it. I'm switching over to an FTDI based unit.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 am
rjs104 offline

Hi Travis,

You're post motivated me to do some more web searching, and it would appear that there is a general consensus that the prolific USB-Serial drivers are a bit flakey.

I found a posting where someone has used a third party driver which is more robust.

I tried it, and it made everything work in my setup (and your plugin is working very well with my DSC alarm, so thanks for that).

If you're interested, I can dig out a link to this new driver...

Best wishes,

Richard.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 pm
travisc offline

Glad to hear it's sorted out. Sure, pass on the link to that driver if you get a chance. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:22 pm
rjs104 offline

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:54 pm
travisc offline

Nice. Thanks. I'll try this and see if it's better than the one prolific provides. That machine's on Snow Leopard though. I'll have to check if it's compatible as it seems to made for Lion and ML.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:58 pm
rjs104 offline

Ah yes - sorry about that. Might work?

<Just noticed your in Toronto - bad run for the Blue Jays this year. Not really what was promised at the start of the season!>

Best wishes,

Richard.

Page 1 of 1