response to command 0561

Posted on
Mon May 24, 2021 4:05 am
dgwharrison offline

response to command 0561

Hi, I'm using an IT-100 with my DSC. The usb to serial I have is from eBay "FTDI FT232 USB to Serial RS232 COM Converter Adapter Cable For MAC M1" . I did try another usb to serial device I have but that didn't come up in the list of tty devices so I bought this one.

Anyway, on load it gives the error as below. I've seen a couple other posts on this, which basically say try a different USB 2 Serial or get an EVL - 4.

Is there any troubleshooting I could try first before I buy something else?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274222545552

Code: Select all
24 May 2021 at 7:46:38 pm
   DSC Alarm                       Initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI
   DSC Alarm                       Communication established
   DSC Alarm Error                 Timed out after waiting for response to command 0561 for 3 seconds, retrying.
   DSC Alarm Error                 Timed out after waiting for response to command 0561 for 3 seconds, retrying.
   DSC Alarm Error                 Resent command 0561 3 times with no success, aborting.
   DSC Alarm Error                 Error enabling Time Broadcast.
   DSC Alarm                       Plugin will attempt to re-initialize again in 3 minutes.

Posted on
Mon May 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Monstergerm offline

Re: response to command 0561

A couple of questions:

Are you sure you selected the correct USB serial device? You do not want to select the one for the Powerlinc modem (usbserial-AxxxxxxZ).

Did you install any drivers?

I am using for a different serial device a cable that uses the Prolific driver that works fine with Indigo.
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProdu ... 29&pcid=41

I don't have an IT-100, but looking at what is going on here, the plugin wants to enable a periodic time broadcast and does not get a response to this. The API instruction mentions "The IT-100 does not send an immediate response to this command unless there is a system error." But the plugin is waiting for a response and otherwise reports an error. This behavior might be different for the EVL-4 that might send out a response immediately. . So maybe there is nothing wrong with not getting a response from the IT-100.

You could try to disable the time broadcast code lines in the plugin. Just search for
 elif self.state == self.States.ENABLE_TIME_BROADCAST:
in plugin.py file and disable the whole code block of 10 lines..

Posted on
Tue May 25, 2021 5:48 am
dgwharrison offline

I downloaded what I think was the right driver but possibly wasn't because it now said something about could not open port as below.

I tried putting # in front of the block of code you suggested, now says communication established. Maybe that did the trick! Dunno, I haven't got time to test further today, will come back to it asap. Thanks!

25 May 2021 at 9:34:54 pm
   Disabling plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   Stopping plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2" (pid 874)
   DSC Alarm Debug                 stopConcurrentThread called
   DSC Alarm Debug                 Exiting stopConcurrentThread
   DSC Alarm Debug                 Exiting Concurrent Thread
   Stopped plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   Enabling plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   Starting plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2" (pid 2867)
   DSC Alarm                       Log level preferences are set to "Debug".
   Started plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   DSC Alarm Debug                 getConfiguration start
   DSC Alarm Debug                 Configuration read successfully
   DSC Alarm Debug                 Adding keypad: {1: 434152447}
   DSC Alarm Debug                 runConcurrentThread called
   DSC Alarm Debug                 STATE: Startup
   DSC Alarm                       Initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-1
   DSC Alarm Error                 Error opening serial port: [Errno 16] could not open port /dev/cu.usbserial-1: [Errno 16] Resource busy: '/dev/cu.usbserial-1'
   DSC Alarm                       Plugin will attempt to re-initialize again in 3 minutes.

Posted on
Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am
Monstergerm offline

Sounds like at an issue with driver, and port selection.

Did you look at those instructions?

https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/InstallGuides/Mac_OS_X_Installation_Guide.pdf

Posted on
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:53 am
dgwharrison offline

thanks for your help thus far @monstergerm, much appreciated.

So I ran that installer, it didn't seem to make much difference in that with the code block you suggested earlier uncommented the behaviour was the same as my first post and when commented out the behaviour was the same as my updated post..

One thing that you might know the answer to though, the instructions you pointed me to say that a new port should appear in settings>network, though I cannot see anything of the sort there. Do you know what that's all about?

Also there's a port tty..usbserial-1 which I can't remember if that's new from the driver or if that was there beforehand, anyway when I try that in DSC Plugin config it says it can't open the port per below:

1 Jun 2021 at 7:44:26 pm
   DSC Alarm                       Initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-1
   DSC Alarm Error                 Error opening serial port: [Errno 16] could not open port /dev/cu.usbserial-1: [Errno 16] Resource busy: '/dev/cu.usbserial-1'

Though I'm pretty sure the correct device is /dev/tty.usbserial-A50285BI as the following shows up under USB in the System Report

FT232R USB UART:

Product ID:   0x6001
  Vendor ID:   0x0403  (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
  Version:   6.00
  Serial Number:   A50285BI
  Speed:   Up to 12 Mb/s
  Manufacturer:   FTDI
  Location ID:   0x14200000 / 2
  Current Available (mA):   500
  Current Required (mA):   90
  Extra Operating Current (mA):   0

So maybe it's this activation step in the documentation that I'm not able to figure out? I'm running 10.15.7, not sure if that's possibly part of the problem...

Posted on
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:11 pm
Monstergerm offline

The code block we discussed is further down in the activation process of the plugin. You are stalling right at the beginning of the plugin initiation.

How many usb serial devices can you see in System Report?
How many serial ports can you select in the plugin configure setup?

You should see two ports, one port is your Insteon Powerlinc. The FT232R USB UART device looks to me like it is the Powerlinc, which of course you do not want to select in the configure setup. It looks like you selected that port on May 24 per your posted log,
24 May 2021 at 7:46:38 pm
DSC Alarm Initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI

In your more recent posting you selected a different port
1 Jun 2021 at 7:44:26 pm
DSC Alarm Initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-1

This could be the right one. You should see this one in System report and it should disappear when you unplug your USB-serial cable. You are also getting a different error now, "Resource is busy". That’s an indication that the serial port is currently used by another application.

If you google for this error you will also find that this could be an issue with the driver, or with having two versions of the driver installed, or not needing a driver at all under Catalina. I would try to completely uninstall all drivers and then start over, first with no driver at all.

Posted on
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:30 am
dgwharrison offline

Hi, sorry I didn't communicate my last message well. I meant I put the code block back in and tried two of the different devices tty.usbserial-1 (which now shows up as -2) and tty.usbserial-A50385BI.

With the device plugged in I see the following devices in /dev

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   18,   6  3 Jun 19:13 /dev/tty.usbmodem14301
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   18,   4  3 Jun 19:13 /dev/tty.usbserial-2
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   18,   0  3 Jun 19:13 /dev/tty.usbserial-A50285BI

If I unplug it the bottom two disappear, so yeah, maybe a double up in the driver?

I found a post to remove the driver which basically has you delete /Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext and forget the package. So I did that and rebooted, now I get:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   18,   2  3 Jun 19:31 /dev/tty.usbmodem14301
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   18,   6  3 Jun 19:32 /dev/tty.usbserial-3
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   18,   4  3 Jun 19:32 /dev/tty.usbserial-A50285BI

same results in DSC plugin using either of the bottom two.

All three show up in the DSC plugin config. Note the usbmodem14301 I'm pretty sure is my zwave device.

I haven't seen any other method of uninstalling drivers beyond the kext removal. I'm thinking there is maybe a dext?

Posted on
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:36 am
Monstergerm offline

That is a tricky problem and way beyond my knowledge. Some people suggest uninstalling the driver and using the built-in Apple driver, while others suggest just the opposite and had luck with installing the VCP drivers from FTDI. If you do this, make sure the driver is actually loaded and accepted by Catalina security settings (under Security&Privacy).

Having the device appear twice suggests to me that there are still two drivers running. Did you look in System/Library/Extensions?
Did you double-check that there is no other program accessing the serial port?

Also, looking at your May 24 log entry, at this time it appears that you actually connected successfully to the serial port. So what happened at later trials that changed this??? Something is causing this offending usbserial-1 etc.

I would also post to other more appropriate boards for this problem. Lastly, getting an EVL-4 is not a bad idea since it has a lot more features than your IT-100.

Posted on
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:41 am
dgwharrison offline

Hi Monstergerm, thanks again for your help anyway. Re behaviour on May 24 where it says communication established, I can still get it to do that, but It errors out on the time broadcast. I can bypass the time thing by skipping that code you identified but I haven't seen anything I'd expect to see when tripping zones. Not that I know what to expect for sure, but I'd have thought I should see some activity when a zone goes active. Should I see zones tripping?

8 Jun 2021 at 8:36:13 pm
   DSC Alarm Debug                 validating Prefs called
   DSC Alarm                       Initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI
   DSC Alarm                       Enabling Time Broadcast
   DSC Alarm Error                 Resent command 0561 3 times with no success, aborting.
   DSC Alarm Error                 Error enabling Time Broadcast.

Posted on
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:50 am
dgwharrison offline

So I just commented out that code block for the time sync again, then disabled then enabled the plugin, then armed the alarm, tripped a zone then disarmed the alarm, this is the output for all that:

8 Jun 2021 at 8:44:50 pm
   Disabling plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   Stopping plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2" (pid 744)
   DSC Alarm Debug                 Exiting Concurrent Thread
   Stopped plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   Enabling plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   Starting plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2" (pid 65997)
   DSC Alarm                       Log level preferences are set to "Debug".
   Started plugin "DSC Alarm 2.2.2"
   DSC Alarm Debug                 Adding keypad: {1: 434152447}
   DSC Alarm Debug                 runConcurrentThread called

Nothing comes though from any of the alarm behaviour.

Posted on
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 am
Monstergerm offline

Very weird, the whole startup process of the plugin looks truncated. After "Communication established" there should be a lot more messages, in particular a ping to test communication and then a state update for all zones and partitions.

I assume you setup a "Keypad" device and at least a few test zones in Indigo. No need to trigger an alarm on your panel, just look at the Indigo log to see whether a zone is getting opened or closed.

I still think there is something not communicating right with the IT-100. How did you get it to talk to port /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI this time without getting a busy error?
Also, to double-check, you mentioned that you use Z-wave. So you do not have any Insteon devices and no Insteon Powerlinc installed, right?
And are you sure the IT-100 is connected correctly to your alarm panel?

Page 1 of 1