Smartphone Radar with multiple routers

Posted on
Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 am
cjp767 offline

Smartphone Radar with multiple routers

The Smartphone Radar plugin is brilliant and works perfectly. I have 3 routers in 3 different buildings (house, studio, garage) and it knows when I'm attached to the network no matter which router. I followed the directions adding each router separated by commas... Etc. excellent. Oh and my password turned out to be "public" on my AirPort Extreme and airport express routers, as mentioned in a different thread.

Is there a way currently, or could there be one, that the plugin can know specifically which router my phone is attached to? For example, if i leave the house and go to the Studio, the plugin would detect that I have left the house and I could trigger actions using that information. (Turn off the house lights). In this example, I wouldn't want to trigger my "Away" mode to lock the doors, but just turn off lights, because I'm still attached to the network, but at a different router.

Thanks for any ideas or guidance. Great plugin.

Posted on
Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:00 pm
PottedPorkProduct offline

Re: Smartphone Radar with multiple routers

According to the source python code (and the settings dialog), you can provide multiple routers as a comma separated list. Note that you'll have to provide the SNMP community (aka Airport Password in the settings) for each as well. If they are all "public", you'll have to put "public,public,public" if you have three routers.

Like:
Code: Select all
Airport Address: router1,router2,router3
Airport Password: snmpcommunity1,snmpcommunity2,snmpcommunity3

This only works for the Airport device type (internally known as SNMP). You can't for instance probe via syslog and SNMP simultaneously.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:12 pm
cjp767 offline

Re: Smartphone Radar with multiple routers

Thank you, that work to see whether or not a phone is anywhere on the network-- I was wondering if I could check to see whether or not a phone was on a specific Airport. For example-- I have a detached garage with its own Airport Express. If my phone is in that building, I could trigger the lights in the main house to turn off when I leave the main house and show up in the detached garage.

Page 1 of 1