Re: INSTEON Thermostats

We don't.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm
Frozenman offline

I just purchased a new Insteon 2441TH. I replaced an existing 5-wire thermostat with the new one. I double checked the proper color coding at the AC end of the 5-wire cable. Keep in mind that the previous thermostat was working fine.

The new thermostat does not light up, the time does not display - the screen is totally blank.

Any advise for further troubleshooting?

I replaced the original thermostat since I wanted the AC to work :) which it now does...

I'd be open to other suggestions for an Indigo-controllable thermostat.

thanks!

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:21 pm
ELWOOD offline

The insteon T-stat needs both the 24 com and 24R connection from the 24 volt transformer in your heating system. If the old T-stat had a battery in it it probably does not have the 24com wire. If you have a volt meter check that you have 24 volts ac at the top two terminals. (24com, 24R). If there is no voltage that is your problem,

Elwood

Posted on
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:59 am
Frozenman offline

thanks
On the old thermostat, the blue wire is connected to RC and the red wire is connected to RH. I don't measure any voltage across those 2 wires :(

I'll go look at how they are connected at the AC end -

thanks for the pointer

Posted on
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:56 pm
Frozenman offline

Well as it turns out while the thermostat end had all 5 wires, the ac end was non-standard. The blue wire was connected to the R terminal on the air handler. So some rewiring was indeed required. I think I have it figured out. Thanks for the pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 pm
pgershon offline

One of my Venstar T-1700 insteon thermostats just died. Are there any internet/wifi thermostats supported by Indigo, or i say best bet to simply buy an Insteon 2441th on sale for $24.50? I have 4 other T-1700 units in my home.

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are plugins for a variety of other thermostats.

For a more reliable but similar capability I highly recommend Z-Wave thermostats - they are much more reliable than the Insteon thermostats and can be used pretty much exactly as you used the Insteon thermostats.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:38 am
pgershon offline

Thanks. Actually after I went to Indigo (as opposed to the thermostat itself). I found that the cool set point had somehow gotten to 132 degrees and this showed up on thermostat as 0F. Using Indigo, I reset set point back to 71 degrees and all is fine again. I've seen set point go to the wrong value before, but never so high that it would not display (or permit adjustment) on the thermostat itself.

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:18 am
jltnol offline

So I don't see a way to post a new topic here, but I've had an Insteon T-stat for a long time, but it seems to be on the fritz. I'd like to replace with something Z-Wave, but would like to avoid any models that require The Cloud to work. What I loved about the Insteon, was that it was "dumb". I let Indigo do all the heavy lifting in terms of scheduling, etc, so am hoping to continue without worrying about access to someones server to make it work. I'm very susceptible to hurricanes and being with out internet for periods of time, so don't want t have to depend on Indigo sending commands to a server(which it can't reach) in order to control the temperature.

I've considered the Honeywell TH6320ZW2003 and the Trane Tzemt400bb3nx, but have no idea how integrated to the cloud they might be. Both of these are compatible with Indigo V6, which seems like a long time ago, so would hope they would continue to work into the future.

Also, how likely is it that any z-wave T-stat from either Honeywell or Trane will work with Indigo? Doesn't look like any of these "compatible" devices have been updated in a while...

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Either of those Z-Wave thermostats should work well with Indigo, and will be directly controlled from Indigo via Z-Wave (no cloud needed).

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:12 pm
2013automator offline

Hi Jay,
When will Honeywell T10 be supported?
or is it already?

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's not an Insteon thermostat (where you're posting the question).

I don't know if that thermostat is supported by the 3rd party Honeywell plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)