INSTEON Switches (SwitchLinc and ToggleLinc)

Posted on
Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Switches (SwitchLinc and ToggleLinc)

I think your best course of action is to talk to Smarthome as this is very likely a hardware problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:36 pm
elf55 offline

I've been moving off an old ISY-99 controller for a couple of years onto Indigo for all my home automation. However, I frequently come upon features in the ISY that Indigo doesn't have, so I keep both going. My latest is using the Smarthome Insteon micro dimmer or micro on/off modules. These little guys have a couple of sense wires that can be configured for different type of local switch controls. These include momentary, latching, and SPDT on/on configurations. The ISY lets me configure the micro controller switch mode with a GUI, but Indigo does not. What would be the best way to configure these devices if I was only using Indigo?

-Mike

Posted on
Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll add this to the feature request list.

If you happen to know the appropriate raw INSTEON commands to set them, you can send them yourself using the Send INSTEON Raw command.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 pm
elf55 offline

I've searched just about everywhere I can think of and can't find any programming reference for the Insteon Micro modules. Even my ISY fails at doing this. I also don't see any analogs in any of the other Insteon load controllers, so I'm still stuck. Page 6 of the Micro On/Off manual (http://www.insteon.com/pdf/2443-x22.pdf) says "These settings can also be configured remotely via software (sold separately)", but that is the only reference to any kind of remote control software.

For reference, the switch modes are latching (conventional SPST toggle), momentary, and dual momentary. The latter two are single or double pole momentary switches where the switch is closed only while pressed. Local programming is done by holding the set key until it beeps and then pressing the set key six, five, or four times to put the module in each respective mode.

If anyone has a clue as to what the raw command is for this, I'd love to know.

Posted on
Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Execute Raw INSTEON Command... menu item with the following Command 1 Byte and 2 Byte values:

Code: Select all
Command 1 Byte:
  0x20
Command 2 Byte:
  0x1E for Single Line [default]
  0x1F for Dual Line
  0x20 for Latching Line [default]
  0x21 for Momentary Line
  0x22 for 3-way mode; every line activation changes load state [default]
  0x23 for NOT 3-way mode; line high is always on, line low is always off

I don't have specific details about what the settings mean, other than the above. I believe the commands are in pairs to enable/disable the 3 different modes. That is, you can set either 0x1E or 0x1F, AND either 0x20 or 0x21, AND either 0x22 or 0x23.

And note you DO want to check the Send Extended Message checkbox, even though you only need to set the first 2 bytes.

Posted on
Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:10 pm
johnpolasek offline

So
matt (support) wrote:
Try the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Execute Raw INSTEON Command... menu item with the following Command 1 Byte and 2 Byte values:

Command 1 Byte:
  0x20
Command 2 Byte:
  0x1E for Single Line [default]
  0x1F for Dual Line
  0x20 for Latching Line [default]
  0x21 for Momentary Line
  0x22 for 3-way mode; every line activation changes load state [default]
  0x23 for NOT 3-way mode; line high is always on, line low is always off

I don't have specific details about what the settings mean, other than the above. I believe the commands are in pairs to enable/disable the 3 different modes. That is, you can set either 0x1E or 0x1F, AND either 0x20 or 0x21, AND either 0x22 or 0x23.

And note you DO want to check the Send Extended Message checkbox, even though you only need to set the first 2 bytes.

So it sounds like you are saying that if I want "single line","momentary", "toggle on each momentary button press", I should send
Command 1 byte 0x20 Command 2 Byte 0x1E, Extended command checked with all data items empty, then
Command 1 byte 0x20 Command 2 Byte 0x21 Extended Command checked with all data items empty, then
Command 1 byte 0x20 Command 2 Byte 0x22 Extended Command checked with all data items empty...

Or do the 0x20 etc go into the first two data bytes?

Posted on
Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
So it sounds like you are saying that if I want "single line","momentary", "toggle on each momentary button press", I should send
Command 1 byte 0x20 Command 2 Byte 0x1E, Extended command checked with all data items empty, then
Command 1 byte 0x20 Command 2 Byte 0x21 Extended Command checked with all data items empty, then
Command 1 byte 0x20 Command 2 Byte 0x22 Extended Command checked with all data items empty...

This is correct.

Posted on
Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:04 pm
thomasw offline

Switchlinc Makes Lights Blink When Indigo Sends Any Command?

Hi All,
I had a Togglelinc switch that worked fine. I pulled it, and replaced it with a new SwitchLinc, that is dimmable.
It works, but now everytime Indigo sends out any command, this SwitchLinc "blinks" the lights. This is the standard 3-wire Insteon SwitchLinc Dimmable switch.
This SwitchLinc is sensing every Insteon command send over the wires for some reason. The light is dimmable led bulb (comparable to 75w at full brightness).
It's not the bulb, as they work fine with the Insteon ToggleLinc switch.
I need to be able to dim this light, so putting the ToggleLinc switch back in, is not a good solution. I don't understand why the ToggleLinc Switch isn't affected by
the Indigo wireline signals, but the SwitchLinc Dimmable Switch is???
Any ideas?

Posted on
Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Try doing a factory reset then resync. If that doesn't fix it, then I recommend getting it exchanged - that is not normal behavior.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:05 pm
thomasw offline

Hi Jay,
Factory reset didn't help at all. Still blinks on EVERY Indigo command sent from the system. I'll buy another one and give it a try.

Posted on
Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:54 pm
dustysparkle offline

Hi, potential new Indigo user here. I have a ToggleLinc 2466SW that I can not get to pair with my PowerLinc 2413U. When I try to pair them, Indigo doesn't see the ToggleLinc--it won't auto-discover the address like it did with the other modules. If I enter the address manually, Indigo reports that it's getting no response.

I've tried a reset on the ToggleLinc, I've moved them as close as possible to each other (within about 3 feet), and I've tried it several times, but I can't get it to work. I've added a LampLinc and a SwitchLinc with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Log file from my most recent pairing attempts (first with auto-discovery, second with me manually entering the device address). I did see on the "supported devices" list that the 2466S is supported (without the "W") but no mention is made of the 2466SW; perhaps that's the problem. I believe that the only difference is that the 2466SW is dual-band, but I'm not certain about that.

Thanks for any help.

Dec 14, 2015, 7:18:58 PM
  PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

Dec 14, 2015, 7:19:21 PM
  PowerLinc                       Linking - exited linking mode

Dec 14, 2015, 7:20:13 PM
  PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)

Dec 14, 2015, 7:20:49 PM
  PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 1C.F6.89)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 22.11.C6, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
  PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
  PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 22.11.C6
  PowerLinc                       Linking - no response from device
  PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 22.11.C6
  Error                           linking canceled by user
  PowerLinc                       Linking - exited linking mode

Posted on
Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The log indicates that the switch never responds to the PowerLinc when it first queries it. Have you tried moving the switch somewhere else or tried another device on the same circuit as the switch? It could be a bad switch - but if it's the only Insteon device on that circuit it could also be that something else on the circuit is causing localized noise. You could also try a factory reset on the switch just to make sure it hasn't gotten into a bad state.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:05 pm
mattyf offline

Keypadlinc and Fanlinc

I installed these units, but the on key off key on the keypadlinc is powering off EVERYTHING... both the light and the fan motor. In fact, after I press the Off key on the Keypadlinc, the fan is not responsive again until I press the "On" key on the keypadlinc. There are no links defined on the KeypadLinc that Indigo is showing me. Is there a way to make the on and off buttons just control the light only?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's because you have the power to the FanLinc wired directly to the load wires on the KeypadLinc. You shouldn't - the FanLinc needs to be powered constantly (or wired to a separate switch) and the load wires on the KeypadLinc capped. You then create the links as described in the wiki post.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:11 pm
mattyf offline

So can you tell what the electrician did?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zdmaescxhz8f ... 0.JPG?dl=0

Has he used the ground as a neutral? How can I redo this to safely make the thing work properly. Do I need to run a new wire?