INSTEON Switches (SwitchLinc and ToggleLinc)

Posted on
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Switches (SwitchLinc and ToggleLinc)

You'll need to isolate when the problem occurs: when Indigo controls the switch or when one of the switches control the light. Once you've done that, does the problem always occur in that case (Indigo control or other switch control)? If so, then the problem is probably a missing Insteon link. But if the problem is sporadic, then the issue is likely noise/interference or congestion that is causing the command to not make it to Indigo (or to the switch). In that case the solution is to try to improve the reliability of the Insteon network with some signal troubleshooting.

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:38 pm
Midnightsun offline

Are there any solutions for 0-10v dimming that is getting more common on led panels nowadays? I do know they once had a 0-10v dimmer however it was discontinued a few years back.

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:40 am
pgershon offline

I have been having my single band switchlinc dimmers (2476d) go bad en mass. I replaced 12 of them in the last 6 months or so with the newer dual band 2477d. Now it looks like I may need to replace another 12 or so. Bad units have 38 i2 firmware or 27 i1 firmware (per Indigo).

Question: Should I continue to replace 2476d with new 2477d units or switch? Is there a cheaper option of internet instead of insteon dimmer that makes sense and works well. I am reluctant to go to Z-wave as my equipment is all Insteon right now. I looked at the Shelly dimmers but I want the switches themselves to dim, not to rely on software dimming. And experience with this?
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS220-Di ... B081FF9G2K

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:48 am
peszko offline

I started to switch to z-wave because I had problems with Insteon. I'm about half way done, andI couldn't be happier. Fro switches, I'm using Homeseer HS-WD200+ and HS-WS200+ and am very happy with them. I'm also switching most wireless Insteon devices to z-wave.

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:43 am
pgershon offline

How deep is the Homeseer dimmer? How does it compare to instean? The Leviton has screw terminals, insteon has wires. What about this one?

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am
peszko offline

The homeseer is about 1 1/2" deep and it has screw terminals instead of wires (mush prefer this). Insteon has several sizes depending on version and type, so hard to say how it compares, but it is a bit on the larger size. It helps though that it has screw terminals, so a lot less things have to go in to the box.

Posted on
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:03 pm
jlefevre1 offline

I have a rather large system of Insteon installed in a house built in 2007. I am having the failures fo the devices at about the rate of 1 a month due to age. The Insteon stuff has also become not available. Looking at Z Wave and I could definitly do that but I have many switches and keypoand links that are dummies and not connected to any device but they are linked to other devices. All of the stuff I see on Z Wave for 3 and 4 way switches indicates that a traveler wire is needed to accomplish 3 and 4 way setups. I have no traveler wires anywhere. So could I put a Z wave device in and link it to the other Insteon devices controlling that hall light and use Indigo to make the link? Same goes for all of the plug in lamp lincs and appliance link modules that I have scattered around.

I also here alluded to that peopleare fixing the failed devices. I have replaced the minature switches behind the paddles but mention of a capacitor problem is being thrown around. I am a registered professional electrical and Mechanical engineer. My typicla failure mode is that the devices "loos there identy" and start responding to devices they are not liked to and also the lights on the front that show the status dimm. I could definitely see where a low voltage condition on the power sypply could wreak all kinds of havock on the logic boards ability to make proper decisions and react to the the linked sommands resered onl to that device. Which "capacitor" is the villan. In the last 5 years I have easily replaced and thrown out 40 devices.

I assume that I would need a Z-Wave USB stick to control those devices and keep the PLM USB device for the Insteon and that Indigo can deal with two devices at the same time as far as interfaces go. I might also need s signal repeater for the Z-Wave stuff. Very large house with 3 electrical panels and my Mac Pro that runs Indigo is in the office at one end of the house. I have many Indigo devices now that will respond to commands from the computer and make the correct activation but Indigo neve gets and answer form them. Signal is just to coming from the devices but the PLM seems much more robust.

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:58 pm
allengray offline

Oh crud. As somebody with more then 80+ Insteon Switchlinc and Keypadlinc dimmers I'm a little disappointed to hear that Insteon seems to have gone belly up. :shock: :!:

I'm still running because I don't rely on that darn cloud thing but it looks like I need to prepare and make some migration plans as devices age out.

Maybe this belongs under a different part of the forum, but I contest that this is a the only valid Insteon topic from here forward!

I've got a small set of spares (not for sale) and one spare PLM (def not for sale) but would like to hear from the community about worthy replacements and follow on technologies. Rather than another powerline technology, Z-wave RF seems to be it. I'm reasonably happy with a bunch of Z-Wave sensors and plug in modules from Fibaro, Aeotec, and others.

Is there a clear winner that offers some or most of the following Insteon features that I honestly use every bit of:

- Regular paddles as well as six or eight button form-factor
- Usable dimming of low watt LED bulbs
- Soft start / ramp up and down
- On-device physical indication of dim level
- Programmable brightness of that indicator
- Ability to chirp / beep
- Decora form-factor
- 120VAC operation
- And naturally, full or soon-to-be full support in Indigo!

--
Allen Gray

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:28 pm
peszko offline

allengray wrote:
Is there a clear winner that offers some or most of the following Insteon features that I honestly use every bit of:

I started to move to z-wave several years ago and so far almost everything is better then Insteon. Having around 300 devices, I'm around 100 in to the change over. So far very happy with the change. I use mostly homeseer dimmers/switches and zooz and aeotec motions and remotes. All three brands are supported by Indigo.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:02 pm
mundmc offline

allengray wrote:
Oh crud. As somebody with more then 80+ Insteon Switchlinc and Keypadlinc dimmers I'm a little disappointed to hear that Insteon seems to have gone belly up. :shock: :!:

I'm still running because I don't rely on that darn cloud thing but it looks like I need to prepare and make some migration plans as devices age out.

Maybe this belongs under a different part of the forum, but I contest that this is a the only valid Insteon topic from here forward!

I've got a small set of spares (not for sale) and one spare PLM (def not for sale) but would like to hear from the community about worthy replacements and follow on technologies. Rather than another powerline technology, Z-wave RF seems to be it. I'm reasonably happy with a bunch of Z-Wave sensors and plug in modules from Fibaro, Aeotec, and others.

- Regular paddles as well as six or eight button form-factor
- Usable dimming of low watt LED bulbs
- Soft start / ramp up and down
- On-device physical indication of dim level
- Programmable brightness of that indicator
- Ability to chirp / beep
- Decora form-factor
- 120VAC operation
- And naturally, full or soon-to-be full support in Indigo!

--
Allen Gray
This is the first time I have ever seen somebody write about a unique Insteon problem I thought I had; I frequently will hit an Insteon wall switch to turn lights on and one will always turn off when I turn the other ones on. I shifted from Insteon to Lutron, but I am trying to minimize hub use and avoid proprietary things going forward, so I will let you know how a massive zwave install goes. I can say, Z wave has always been snappier than Insteon for me.

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:22 am
allengray offline

If you mean you have Insteon devices that seem to be linked at inverted states, there are a few ways to fix that.

The simplest is by syncing those devices and editing the links within Indigo. Hit Command-Shift-L as a shortcut to this. You can remove those phantom links or just edit the ON/OFF state to match between those devices.

--
Allen Gray

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:32 am
allengray offline

Responding to my own query for good replacement options .. Yes, Z-Wave looks like the general direction.

Those Inovelli 'Red' dimmers look pretty good and they appear to have Jay's vote.

If they can resolve their supply chain issues (like other Z-Wave products) they seem very cool.

BTW, Z-Wave supply issues are not just an Inovelli issue, the trouble is with the Z-Wave chipset source, Silicon Labs who makes them.

--
Allen Gray