Smartenit EZFlora and Rainbee8

Posted on
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Smartenit EZFlora and Rainbee8

This topic is to discuss the EZFlora by Smartenit. The Rainbee8, while mainly billed as a Zigbee-based controller, also supports Insteon. Indigo identifies it as an EZFlora and it functions exactly the same.

Device Details
How to use with Indigo

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Re: Smartenit EZFlora

After over a year of use I'm all of a sudden experiencing issues with one of my EZFlora controllers. I'm using a bit of Python to run flexible schedules and have had zero issues with that until just recently. Here is the code:
Code: Select all
zoneTime = indigo.variables[191822323]
zoneInt = int(zoneTime.value)

# Run schedule
indigo.sprinkler.run(112954509, schedule=[zoneInt, 0, zoneInt, 0, zoneInt, zoneInt, 0, 0])

Nothing special there, but recently our front sprinklers have been running maybe half of the time that code is executed, and here is what I see in the log when it doesn't work:

Sprinkler                       scheduled "Sprinklers (Front)" zone durations: 5.00, 0.00, 5.00, 0.00, 5.00, 5.00, 0.00, 0.00
  Sprinkler                       turning "Sprinklers (Front)" zone 1 on for 5.00 minutes
  Sent INSTEON                    "Sprinklers (Front) - Ground Cover" on (ack: all valves off)

It clearly gets the schedule times right and sends the on command to zone 1, but the EZFlora returns a valves off message and does nothing. Since I have 2 other EZFlora's that are being used in the exact same way with no issues, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. Just wanted to check in here to see if anyone else has ever seen something like this before I go and buy a new one. Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You might try a factory reset on it just to make sure that it's not in some bad state.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Did a factory reset and still having the same issue. I'm also now noticing that sometimes when this happens it's actually running but doesn't say that it is (even in the device state), while sometimes it just plain doesn't run. Seems like it must be the device, the valves are brand new and commercial grade. I'll order another one tomorrow unless you have any other tricks up your sleeve :)

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:15 am
roussell offline

These things die -all- -the- -time- :?

I've had to replace two of them in 3 years. The last one has lived a little longer by me plugging it into a surge strip and unplugging the sprinkler connectors over the winter when not in use. They're extremely fragile it would seem. I'm on my third one and it will be the last...

EDIT: I should also mention that I've had them all die in different ways; one refused to communicate but would still 'sync' and do resets, the other just completely quit working.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

Thanks Terry. Have you decided which product you will be replacing them with yet?

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:40 pm
roussell offline

Actually yeah I'll probably just build something with an Arduino, ethernet interface and an eBay relay board. If I use the eBay Chinese Arduino clones I can build the whole thing for less than $50, then just write a simple plugin to tie it into Indigo. I'd like something relay-based as I believe it will be more durable with and induced surges from the solenoid control wires. The arduino code could be as simplistic or complicated as one would want, and there would even be inputs left over for rain sensor, soil moisture sensors...

Here's an example parts list from eBay (valid 3/31/2015):

Arduino Uno r3 (clone) $7.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSmart-UNO-R ... 4611f1b284

Uno Ethernet Shield $7.12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethernet-Shield ... 4ada99e195

8 Channel Relay board $8.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Channel-5V-Re ... 53fc734328

Arduino Jumpers (to connect Arduino to relay board) $3.98
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-20cm-2-54 ... 4ad6e5fa1c

8x10x4 NEMA 4 enclosure $19.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-Hinged- ... 3f49a9b6fa

I would have built it this time instead of replacing the EZFlora, but Norm was having a sale so it was an impulse buy. :) Also, I use these clones all the time and have never had a single problem with any of them.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Sounds like a fun project! I have always wanted to get into the Arduino stuff but I have no idea how to get started. The only coding I know is what I've taught myself for Indigo. Let us know how it all goes in the user contributions section!

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:54 am
roussell offline

Arduino stuff is easy, grab one of the boards in the link above and start playing. There are tons of samples that come with the Arduino IDE and even more on the web. If you understand Python (even at a basic level) you'll have no problem with Arduino code. As an example, here is a simple bit of code with comments that would blink an LED (1second on/off) connected to Output Pin 13:

int led = 13;   // Set a variable so we refer to pin 13 as 'led' for better readability...

void setup() {               
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);   // Most Arduino pins can be digital inputs or digital outputs. this sets pin 13 as an output
}

void loop() {   // Loop through everything in this code block
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   //Turn on the output
  delay(1000);   //wait 1 sec
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);   //Turn off the output
  delay(1000);   //Wait 1 sec
}

I may go ahead and build a sprinkler controller for fun, I have everything above lying around anyway I think... If I do I'll share the process & code with the group.

Terry

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:02 am
kw123 offline

I am using an arduini to read out my old alarm system input ports. Has not crashed in more than a year . Get an update every 2 seconds into indigo. Very simple to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:48 am
roussell offline

I did the same thing. When I bought my current house it had an old alarm, I pulled out the controller and replaced it with an Arduino Mega with an Ethernet shield. I got way more inputs than I had with the original alarm system, any logic I wanted to build in and Ethernet connectivity to Indigo. I don't really use it as an alarm, even though I could, but more for all the door/window/motion sensors already installed.

Maybe we need to start an Arduino/controller thread since this has strayed off topic.

Terry

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

I'm convinced. I watched some videos and went ahead and bought some stuff. Tinker time ahead...there go my nights! :D

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:51 pm
roussell offline

Excellent!! My close friends all day that I'm a great enabler!! Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun and connects me back to the early days of computing.

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 pm
roussell offline

Forgot to add: Be sure to download Fritzing. It lets you prototype Arduino projects on your computer before assembling them!

http://fritzing.org/home/

Terry

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:48 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Awesome, downloading now! My boards come tomorrow :)