IRTrans infrared transmitter/receiver

Posted on
Thu May 05, 2011 3:15 pm
thomasw offline

Re: IRTrans infrared transmitter/receiver

Hi guys,
I know this post is older, but I think you guys may be able to help me out.
I have to find a way to send an IR signal across a 16 foot room to a TV, with an Indigo command. (ON/OFF)
Is there a way to use the IRTrans with Indigo? How do you get Indigo to communicate with IRTrans? I have an outlet
across the room from the TV, that I could plug in an Insteon device. Do you use an Insteon device to communicate the Indigo command to the IRTrans thing? I currently have Indigo pro on my mac, running several Insteon light switches and appliance lincs, and it works well. I just need to find a way to have something send the IR signal across the 16 foot room to the TV, to turn it ON/OFF from an Indigo command on the mac. (I can't use any of those little stick on emitters on the TV, and can't place anything next to the TV, as it is on a flat wall with no shelf, and no outlet near it)
Thanks

Posted on
Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 am
aehusted offline

I am not using my IRtrans stuff anymore, but I can confirm that it is possible to control it with AppleScript via Indigo. The IRtrans emitters are quite powerful; 16 feet across the room is no problem. You can get USB versions or Ethernet versions last I checked.

You may want to look into the Insteon IRlinc instead of IRtrans. I have never used one, but that seems like it might be simpler than IRtrans.

PS - If really want the IRtrans, I might have some used devices that I could sell you at a good discount :)

Posted on
Sat May 07, 2011 9:44 pm
thomasw offline

aeusted,
I bought an Insteon IRLinc about a week ago. That will only work if you can plug it in next to the TV, and run the wired stick on emitter directly on the TV. That won't work in my situation. That's why I'm looking at the IRTrans to actually send the IR signal across the room to the TV. I'm looking at the IRTrans that can receive commands from Indigo over the house wifi, and then send the IR signal to the TV.
Thanks for the info about it.

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2011 7:07 pm
aehusted offline

thomasw,
I don't have one of the newer wifi IR trans modules, but if the computer is in the same room as the TV, I don't really think it is necessary. I PMed you with the details of what I have.