Pool Pump Interference

Posted on
Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 am
rsaye offline

Pool Pump Interference

When my pool pump is running none of my INSTEON Devices will respond. I can turn the pool pump off and everything works fine. Does anyone have a suggestion on how i can fix this issue?

Ronnie

Posted on
Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:42 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Pool Pump Interference

Depending on the amps of your pump, maybe this or this?

Posted on
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:56 pm
Monstergerm offline

This is an old post and at least one of the recommended filter devices is no longer available.
I have an Insteon network that suddenly became very unreliable in our poolhouse. After some trouble shooting I narrowed it down to one of our pool pumps, Pentair Intelliflow pump.
So something must be going bad on this pump, which now introduces line noise interfering with Insteon signals.

Anybody else having similar issues?
Any suggestions for such situations, 220V, 20A hardwired motor device?
I tried placing range extenders in the main house with the hope they would pick up the RF signal from the poolhouse but this did not help.

Posted on
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:08 pm
Monstergerm offline

Just in case anybody has the same problem: The XPF 20A Wired-In Noise Filter did not help with filtering the noise from my Pentair Intelliflow pool pump. Also, all vendors selling this device think it will not work with Insteon networks.

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:30 pm
Korey offline

Monstergerm wrote:
This is an old post and at least one of the recommended filter devices is no longer available.
I have an Insteon network that suddenly became very unreliable in our poolhouse. After some trouble shooting I narrowed it down to one of our pool pumps, Pentair Intelliflow pump.
So something must be going bad on this pump, which now introduces line noise interfering with Insteon signals.

Anybody else having similar issues?
Any suggestions for such situations, 220V, 20A hardwired motor device?
I tried placing range extenders in the main house with the hope they would pick up the RF signal from the poolhouse but this did not help.

I have an Intellaflo pump have not noticed any Insteon issues while it is running.

Do you have the recommended surge protector installed? I wonder if it has done bad and is eating your signals.

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:56 pm
Monstergerm offline

thanks for your reply. In fact we have 3 Intelliflo pumps and they never interfered with the Insteon network for years. Only recently, one of the pumps (not the other ones) started to cause trouble. So, yes, something went bad with this pump. I don't think we have any surge protectors installed ... I did not see anything in the panel box.

And to clarify, the pumps are not controlled by Insteon. But whenever this particular pump is running, all my poolhouse lights, which are Insteon controlled by dual-band switches, have trouble responding to commands.

Posted on
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:50 pm
pgershon offline

Did you figure this out? I am having the same problem with my intelliflo pump. I do have the surge protector too.

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:51 pm
Monstergerm offline

Unfortunately I did not find a solution. The XPF 20A filter did not work. I even bought some low frequency ferrite suppression core chokes and wrapped the electrical wire going to the pump around it several times. Did not help. And adding more dual band switches also had no effect.

You could try to resend the command several times based on the indigo device generating an error in the event log. Let me know if you need to know how to do this.

I think the only fix would be to buy a new pool pump :( or replace the problematic indigo devices with Z-wave devices.

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:26 pm
pgershon offline

I just finished going through the same exercise. I have narrowed down my Insteon interference (whole house) to my pool pump. When it goes off, everything else works 100% and I can look at my keypad's and see steady flash. But when pool pump runs, I have all kinds of issues with switches not turning on/off in basement. I have a large house. Pool pump is 100 feet from the basement. Pool pump feeds into its own pool house breaker, which in turns feeds into rest of the house breakers in the basement. I installed 2 XPF 20A filters in the intelliflo pool pump and it had no improvement. I thought perhaps the spa pump or chlorinator were the problem, but it seems to be all about the pool pump.

Unfortunately, it is multiple devices malfunctioning. The problem seems to have gotten worse this summer. Good news is that the issue will disappear for the winter,

But I would love to find a solution. There must be a way to isolate the interference coming from the Intelliflo.

I read somewhere that the surge suppressor (Supco SCM150) could be sucking up signal, but it seems unlikely since the problem goes away when pool goes off.

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Monstergerm offline

We need a noise filter that works in the Insteon frequency range and it does not seem to exist.

I have three pool pumps and only one developed this problem after several years. I double-checked the grounding wire, otherwise I don't know what to do. One thing I have not checked is whether changing the pool pump speed makes any difference.

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:50 pm
pgershon offline

Speed change does not affect my system's issues

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:48 pm
peszko offline

I solved pool pump (and UV sterilizer) Insteon interference problem by getting rid of Insteon modules. All my pool controll modules are now z-wave. No more issues in my case.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:44 am
pgershon offline

I have about 75 Insteon devices in my home. Very expensive too simply get rid of Insteon. The pool does not use Insteon - but its pump is messing with Insteon devices throughout my entire home system. It would be cheaper to replace pool pump, though not my preference.

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:59 am
jalves offline

What frequency does Insteon operate on?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff