I need help understanding something.

Posted on
Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:21 am
young1 offline

I need help understanding something.

Here is my setup. I have a G5 & a Powerlinc 1132CU, as well as a TM751 RF receiver. I keep the 1132 connected with USB at all times (so I can send emails to it & run macros)....

So, I am having problems controlling certain devices... it COULD be a signal problem, but hear me out...

If I am sitting at my computer & I send a signal to my livingroom lights (Lamp Module), they do not turn on or off... and the log shows:

Sent X10 "Living Room Lamps" off

However, if I press the A2 button on my palmpad remote, the living room lights shut off & the Indigo log shows:

Received X10 "Living Room Lamps" off

This happens with a few of my devices... what am I missing? If Indigo sees the event & logs it, then why cant I send a Light off command directly from Indigo?

Barry

Posted on
Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:01 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: I need help understanding something.

This is a signal problem, but I did hear you out. :-)

When you press the palm pad remote button, the signal travels from the TM751 to the module you are controlling. When you have Indigo send the command, it travels from the PowerLinc to the module. These are two different signal paths, and might even be on different 110V "legs" of your power system.

Try plugging your PowerLinc into the same outlet the TM751 is using and see if it works. Because of signal strength differences, this is not guaranteed to be the same, but it is closer to comparing apples to apples (more likely to work).

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 am
young1 offline

(No subject)

So, assuming it is a signal problem, how much more $$ will i need to spend to increase the signal strength? I already have close to $300 invested in Home Automation stuff.... I am getting frustrated & starting to second guess my decision to purchase.

Everything just seems like more of a hassle than it should be.

Barry

Posted on
Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

For my house, I bought a signal repeater that bridges the 2 110V power legs of the house (like Smarthome's SignalLinc, but mine is in the breaker box), and 3 FilterLincs. That gives me reliable coverage to every outlet and switch at which I've tried to install a module. Some folks don't need any filters or repeaters, others might need more filters.

I'd try moving your PowerLinc to another outlet first. Have you tried the outlet you have the TM751 plugged into yet?

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:51 am
young1 offline

(No subject)

Matt,

Moving the powerlinc isnt really an option if I want to keep it connected to the Mac at all times... Also, I dont have any 220 outlets (gas dryer & stove)... although, come to think of it, I think there is a 220 outlet behind my stove, although I dont know if it is "active".

I will try moving the Powerlinc to where the tm751 just for testing purposes...

Can you send me a link to the breaker box version of the signal repeater?

Barry

Posted on
Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

young1 wrote:

This is the one I'm using:

http://www.smarthome.com/4823.html

But there are reports of it having signal-storm (lock-up) conflicts with the LynX-PLC and the X10 motion floodlight. I did have some lock-ups back when I used my LynX-PLC, but have not had problems with my floodlight. However, I have read reports of others that have had problems with the X10 motion floodlight.

There are other breaker-box repeaters on the Smarthome site, but I believe they all cost more. Make sure you get a coupler-repeater and not just a coupler. The repeaters amplify the signal when they send it back out, which is what you want.

Here is the SignalLinc plug-in module:

http://www.smarthome.com/4826b.html

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:01 pm
dalenis offline

(No subject)

young1 wrote:

Barry

I installed a CR230 (scroll down to find the CR230 SmartHome's model number 4820AC) coupler/repeater next to the breaker panel . I highly recommend this one, it cost a few more dollars but works great with the LynX-PLC and I have not have any problems at all.

Dale

Page 1 of 1