Motion question

Posted on
Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:14 am
BruceP offline

Motion question

I have an outdoor motion detector that is to control the security lights.
I also have a motion detector in the garage to alert me if someone enters and will ring a chime.

It seem that the garage motion will also trip my security lights. Is my set up wrong? Here are the settings

Garage Motion A1
Garden Motion A4
Security light switch A2

Log File as I walked into the garage:

6:49:40 AM, 10/15/04
Received X10 "Garden Flood LightsSwitch" on
Received X10 "Garden Flood LightsSwitch" off
Received X10 "Garden Flood LightsSwitch" on

7:06:22 AM, 10/15/04
Received X10 A1 on
Received X10 A1 on
Received X10 A1 on

A4 is set to trigger an action group, if that adds to the mix.

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:16 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Motion question

This is the dusk/dawn light sensor on the motion detector. Most motion detectors broadcast motion commands on the primary X10 address, and broadcast dusk/dawn light triggers on the primary address + 1.

In your case, Garage Motion A1 is sending A1 On for motion, and A2 On/Off whenever the light level (dusk/dawn) changes.

Your options are to disable the dusk/dawn sensor by putting electrical tape over the photo-cell "eye", or to move your light switch to a different address, like A3. Because Indigo does accurate sunset/sunrise calculations, I recommend disabling the dusk/dawn sensors.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:07 am
sparker offline

Re: Motion question

support wrote:
This is the dusk/dawn light sensor on the motion detector. Most motion detectors broadcast motion commands on the primary X10 address, and broadcast dusk/dawn light triggers on the primary address + 1.

In your case, Garage Motion A1 is sending A1 On for motion, and A2 On/Off whenever the light level (dusk/dawn) changes.

What I've done with mine is to make each sensor an "odd number" on it's own house code, and ignore all the "even" numbered return codes received by Indigo, since I really don't care about dark/light conditions for them.

But to be fair, I went through the same process you are: I sent them up as 1, 2, 3, etc, and couldn't figure out why motion on #1 would do unexpected things for sensor #2...

As usual, Matt's right on top of things, and gave you the easy answer without having do dive into those stupid little folded up instructions that come with the sensors... :)

Steve

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Page 1 of 1