W800 versus V572

Posted on
Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:06 pm
seanwalmsley offline

W800 versus V572

What's the difference between W800 and V572? From the descriptions, it looks like the whole house transmitter would be a better choice than several W800s, but I don't see it referenced on the Indigo page, nor can I find comments about it here in the forums.

Apologies in advance if I'm asking a question that's answered already.

Thanks
Sean

Posted on
Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: W800 versus V572

Hello Sean,

The V572 is not a computer interface; it receives RF commands and relays those on to the power line as X10 commands. They can then be received by Indigo via a PowerLinc.

The W800RF32 is a computer interface that receives RF commands and sends them directly to Indigo via its serial connection (you'll need a Keyspan USB to serial adapter).

They both receive all of the house codes. The W800RF32 also receives special X10 A/V and security commands -- the V572 does not. If you use the W800RF32 and Indigo, then the response time from RF command (via remote or motion detector) to Indigo is almost instantaneous compared to the V572 which has to relay the command down the power line to Indigo.

If you are using Indigo, the only reason to get a V572 is to reduce cost by not having to get a Keyspan USB to serial adapter, or if you have the PowerLinc Controller (1132CU) and you want to run your home automation system without Indigo running. Other than that, I recommend the W800RF32 because the performance and reliability is better.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1