Waterbug question

Posted on
Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:52 pm
seanwalmsley offline

Waterbug question

Just converting from Thinking Home/IBM Home Director on my old Mac OS9 laptop to Indigo and the new Powerlinc Controller on my OSX G5. (I already have X-10 up and running throughout my house and property).

I'm interested in purchasing the Waterbug Water Sensor to alert me to sump pump failure in my well-house (which is 10 feet underground, and hard to access in the winter).

What do I need for this to work with Indigo/Powerlinc? Is there an issue if I purchase the Powerlinc Controller rather than the Powerlinc USB (the former makes more sense to me, because I'm often away).

Thanks
Sean

Posted on
Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Waterbug question

Hi Sean,

You need a X10 PowerFlash module. The WaterBug will then trip the PowerFlash, which will send a X10 signal down the power line, which will be received by Indigo (via the PowerLinc).

The PowerLinc Controller has all of the features of the PowerLinc USB, and also includes the ability to run stand-alone without Indigo. Not all of Indigo's control logic can be translated (uploaded) to the PowerLinc Controller. For example, if you had a Trigger Action setup for the WaterBug/PowerFlash modules that sent your cell phone an email, that obviously would not work without your Mac being on and Indigo running. If you want to turn a light on when the WaterBug trips, then that can happen without Indigo running. You can tell what Trigger and Time/Date Actions will translate and upload to the PowerLinc Controller by choosing the Interface->Upload option.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:43 am
seanwalmsley offline

One more question...

Matt,
Thanks!
One more question. Does it make any difference to the set-up if I get the battery-powered Waterbug or the AC-powered? Battery-powered would be better, since typically it's a power outtage that will cause the sump pump to fail, but depending on the ground-water level, the water may or may not rise to a dangerous point.

Cheers
Sean

Posted on
Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:51 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: One more question...

Hi Sean,

It should not matter. The battery opd unit has normally-open contacts only. You'll probably want to use mode 3 of the PowerFlash which will send a X10 ON command when the contact is closed (water detected) and a X10 OFF command when the contact is opened (no water present). You will define Trigger Actions within Indigo based on these ON and/or OFF commands.

All that said, I don't have a WaterBug so this is all based on me reading the info on the website. It looks like it won't be any problem to use, IMO. Let me know if I'm wrong. :-)

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1