Power Failure Notification

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:42 pm
ukie offline

Re: Power Failure Notification

Yeah, that's what I figured. So are there any devices that can be used to achieve this?

Posted on
Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure I have an answer for this one, but maybe with more details someone else can suggestion something. Can you give more details as to exactly what you need: voltage detection, or current detection (some device/appliance is ON)? For just a single outlet? Will there be power to a nearby outlet where a module (or other sensor) could be plugged in to? Is the outlet within USB cord reach of the Mac?

Posted on
Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:52 pm
ukie offline

There will be two UPS systems, one attached to the Mac mini server and one in the attick powering the outdoor cameras and a flood light facing the front yard. For starters, the goal is to be able to control the flood light when the power failes or a burglar cuts the power line.

Posted on
Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

How is the flood light going to get power?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 pm
ukie offline

Well The UPS... not sure what you mean.
It's a 50W LED flood light which is connected to dual-band Insteon module.

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you tried putting the PowerLinc on the UPS as well then unplugging both UPSs to see if it works? I don't know if it will or not, and as I mentioned having the PowerLinc on the battery side of the UPS will block the power line capability, but it still might work.

An alternative could be to use the PowerLinc normally (power line and RF), but then use the Z-Wave Z-Stick 2 (which is RF only) and a Z-Wave module to control the flood light. That is a pure RF solution, so might be more likely to work well. Note you can use both INSTEON/Z-Wave together at the same time.

And with the PowerLinc plugged in normally it will be able to pick up the power failure so Indigo will know when the power is out.

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:54 pm
ukie offline

Matt, thank you for the suggestion. I do not yet have the UPS units, but I am planning to purchase two of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
The zwave solution seems a bit expensive for this application.
My home automation system is growing gradually, and the plan is to stick with Insteon, as I've found them to be quite reliable over time.
As they advertise it; the more Insteon modules you have the more reliable the network :)

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Sorry, missed the part about the flood light being connected to the UPS (though I'd be interested to know how you're going to attach the floodlight to the UPS - is it a plug-in light that you're going to plug into an appliancelinc? Never seen one of those.).

Anyway, another option might be to switch from a PowerLinc 2413 to the 2448 - that's the USB dongle version. It gets it's power from the computer it's plugged into and thus avoids powerline signal issues since it's RF only. The downside is that for your normal operations, any non dual-band devices will require an extra INSTEON hop to get from RF onto the power line.

Finally - if I were looking to do something like that I think I'd rather just go research a light that has a battery backup that detects when the power is gone and automatically turns itself on using it's built-in battery. I don't know exactly where to find them but the are definitely out there somewhere since commercial buildings have them.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 pm
ukie offline

Jay, thanks for the advice. I've added a plug to the flood light so that it would attach to the UPS in the attic.
The 2448 is not an option since I still have some X10 modules that need to be controlled as well.
I though I might be able to use the I/O linc by attaching it to the same UPS where the 2413 is, then plug a 5V wall wart and use the sens pin to monitor the voltage on the grid.
Would that work?

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That might work - I don't know. It's not a scenario I've ever heard of anyone trying. I guess the best advice is to just try it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun May 30, 2021 2:50 pm
piratepost offline

I have my Indigo setup on a UPS. I would like to be notified when the power in my 2nd home is out. Is there a way forIndigo to query a module if it is online or not? Sounds like a simple way to be notified. I just want to know how long the power is out.