Lookin 2 Remote Harmony Replacement?

Posted on
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:38 am
sdmike offline

Lookin 2 Remote Harmony Replacement?

Hi all ...

I've been considering replacing my Harmony Hub and remote with either the Broadlink RM4 pro or a new device called the Lookin Remote 2.

My big consideration is making a dumb TV smart and controlling a Tivo. Tivo does not make voice control easy these days and I've never been happy with Harmony anyway.

The Lookin Remote 2 looks really interesting and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with it or has had experience using it in a home automation system managed by Indigo.

The Lookin can be found here:

https://look-in.club/en

And if someone has other options, I'm open to hearing about them.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Lookin 2 Remote Harmony Replacement?

Hmmm. My opinion is probably not going to be all that helpful because I would go for neither. I'm a big fan of candy bar remotes with hard buttons and will probably always lean towards them. They're becoming tougher to come by without going to the big bucks integrators which is unfortunate. Of the two, I'd probably lean towards the Lookin with its open API and cloud-less design.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
I'm a big fan of candy bar remotes with hard buttons and will probably always lean towards them. They're becoming tougher to come by without going to the big bucks integrators which is unfortunate.

You and me both Dave, I'm dreading the day when Logitech's Harmony servers go completely down and I'm no longer able to change my harmony configurations. I guess I'll either learn to live with apps or attempt to reduce the number of physical remotes that come with devices to as few as possible. Probably the latter since I really REALLY hate using apps to control home theater stuff.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just ran across this: http://sofabaton.com/

According to the Kickstarter FAQ for the X1:

Yes, we will open the local API of X1 by providing an API file, but X1 cannot directly add APIs of other products or smart platforms. If you have a deep custom requirement, you can contact our customer services for an API file after receiving the product.

Note that the U1, aside from the screen at the top, looks almost identical to the Harmony Companion remote. The remote that comes in the X1 package, though, doesn't. I hope they enable the U1 to work with the X1 hub as I really like the hard buttons on it (and wouldn't have much muscle memory retraining to do). I'll stick with Harmony until their servers get so unreliable as to be worthless before switching, but it's nice to know that at least one company seems to be trying to take up the slack.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1