Compatible outdoor floodlight / switch / motion sensor

Posted on
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Compatible outdoor floodlight / switch / motion sensor

On one end of my pool deck, there's a door in the pool cage with steps to the side yard. When the house was built, I had a floodlight mounted to illuminate the area, with a wall switch below it. That all worked fine.

I finally got around to installing a Lutron switch at that location. Much to my dismay, it turns out that it's out of range of my repeater. The distance isn't that far, but there are multiple reinforced concrete walls in between, at an angle. So the signal just won't reach. I temporarily relocated the repeater closer to to the switch, and it did work. But that involved an ethernet cable through a bedroom and adjoining bath. It might be possible to relocate the repeater to the room above, but that's not going to be easy either.

So I'm looking for alternatives to the Lutron switch out there. While I'm at it, I'd like to add a motion sensor as well. I'm open to swapping out the light fixture if needed. Maybe a combo fixture with sensor that can also be controlled by the switch (and Indigo).

I can probably get a Z-wave signal over there, with another repeater or two. How many hops max for Z-wave? I'll go Wifi if I have to, I think the Wifi signal there is OK. If not, I can definitely improve it.

Suggestions?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Compatible outdoor floodlight / switch / motion sensor

Kasa (TP-Link) WiFi switch maybe? Super cheap and the plugin has been updated to work with it I believe. I personally haven't tried the switches yet, but their plug-in devices are quite solid and reliable. Not sure about the motion sensor, I've never used an outdoor one before.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 pm
aldera offline

I have the following Z-Wave outdoor motion sensor: HomeSeer HS-FLS100 Z-Wave Plus Floodlight Sensor.

I attached it to a regular old outdoor floodlight:
LUTEC P6221W 1130 Lumen 15 Watt 28 LED Dual-Head Flood Light Outdoor.

I got them both at Amazon. It’s been working fine for over a year.

BTW, my understanding is that the max number of hops for Z-Wave is 4.

Ralph

Posted on
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 pm
FlyingDiver offline

aldera wrote:
I have the following Z-Wave outdoor motion sensor: HomeSeer HS-FLS100 Z-Wave Plus Floodlight Sensor.

I attached it to a regular old outdoor floodlight:
LUTEC P6221W 1130 Lumen 15 Watt 28 LED Dual-Head Flood Light Outdoor.

With that combo, can you turn on the light with a switch, or only with the motion sensor?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:05 pm
aldera offline

From the manual:

Smart Floodlight Mode
When added to a smart home system, HS-FLS100+ will send Z-Wave commands to the smart hub or home controller when motion is sensed and when the LUX level changes. Likewise, the smart hub or home controller can send Z-Wave commands back to the HS-FLS100+ to turn floodlights ON and OFF. This added functionality provides a very high level of flexibility not typically available in conventional motion-activated floodlights.

I've never used it that way, just motion-activated, but it looks like you can turn it on and off when you want to.

Ralph

PS I just turned it on and off manually, via Indigo, so I think it will do what you're asking.
Attachments
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 am
deadsquid offline

Just a note that HomeSeer has a G2 version of the which doesn't appear to be supported currently (I've submitted the new version) that adds a temp and light sensor. Easy install, and looks like a nice piece of kit. Hope to see it supported soon. :D

Posted on
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:04 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 2021.1.1 is now available and adds support for the HomeSeer Floodlight Sensor (HS-FLS100-G2).

Page 1 of 1