Ubiquiti USG3 died

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:32 am
siclark offline

Ubiquiti USG3 died

It restarted multiple times during the night then disconnected dead on 1am. I wonder if it was trying to update firmware which was due.

I have tried resetting and no joy, and even taken out the USB drive and reflashed firmware to it, but that also doesnt do anything.

So, I need a new toy, I mean a new router. Currently also use 3 unifi APs and have the retailer hosting these, and the dead USG on its cloud, however interested in doing it myself, and to save a few pounds.

So do i?

1) Replace with USG3 and keep cloud hosting
2) Buy USG Pro 4 and keep cloud hosting
3) Buy UDM Pro and use its built in cloud key

Getting the UDM pro for simply not paying for hosting is clearly expensive, buying the key would be cheaper and the hosting is only £10 / year.

I would like to simplify my camera storage, and the UDM pro is tempting for that, but I am not going to upgrade to Uqiquiti cameras, so does it work with 3rd party?

I think I would like the extra power but in practise probably dont need it. I do have 30-40 devices on the network, including 4 cameras, will be 6. 2 of us wfh and usual music and video streaming.

Edit: This was 2.5 years old, I had a edgerouter lite die before at less than 2 years old. Is this normal? Do I get more longevity by buying their more expensive gear?

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:19 am
neilk offline

Re: Ubiquiti USG3 died

Touch wood I haven't had any Unifi kit fail so sounds like you have been unlucky, and I have the basic USG (I think that is the USG 3 but may be wrong) and the basic first generation cloud key, and for well over three years ( I cannot remember when).

I know with a number of the latest controller features really hammer the USG (IPS for example), and I do in a lockdown world get close to overwhelming the hardware with at times 4 x teams/zoom sessions across the family, so I would take with a pinch of salt the user/sizing advice online for the USG vs USG Pro that suggests the USG is fine for small installs less than 40 users.

I would also say avoid the first generation cloud key, as they don't come back up after a power outage unless you do a restore from a backup which is a pain, the second generation devices look much better, but I don't have one.

USG Pro 4 plus Second Gen Cloud key gets pretty close cost wise to the UDM, but no real ROI with your cloud hosting cost.

I am tempted to upgrade my USG to the UDM but don't really "need" it, I would consider the Unifi Doorbell to replace my Doorbird that has a poor camera now relative to the market, so interested in other peoples experience as otherwise I use Blue Iris and cheapish Reolink cameras which are excellent. It only really works with man maths.

I just noticed broadband buyer offer a three year warranty on the USG, so maybe check if you are still covered or buy from them if you do go for a new one.

Neil

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 am
kw123 offline

I have usg4 + cloudkey2 + 12 switches + 2 ap-pro and 2 ap mesh

Happy, works day and night for about 2 years

Still have an old usg3 on the shelf. Just in case.

Still using the old UniFi camera system on a virtual box on my mac pro2012. Thinking about upgrading to protect but the software api is unclear.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:04 pm
siclark offline

Thanks both... Good point on the cost of the USG Pro + cloud key vs the UDM. I dont really need to get a cloud key, I am happy with the support I get, and its cheap, and works. Only issue is I am tied to them to purchase hardware as not sure if they will provision other unifi stuff not bought from them. On plus side, they pre provision before sending, so I plug it in and it connects and works.

Good points on the performance... hopefully this situation wont last, but I would like to use all the features, ie IPS and not then have the peformance take a nose dive.

Until this point, I would say I love their stuff, have 3 wifi APs, including one outside, and all good. Still like it, maybe just unlucky. Going to be a pain getting all my DNS reservations set up again.

Would like their camera as have not bought Ring as dont want cloud, but need UK supply. Other than that have Reolink so I dont think much use for the NVR features of the UDM. Pro (maybe in a few years).

Still hoping one of my switches break so I can upgrade to a unifi switch too.

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 pm
neilk offline

siclark wrote:
Still like it, maybe just unlucky. Going to be a pain getting all my DNS reservations set up again.

Would like their camera as have not bought Ring as dont want cloud, but need UK supply. Other than that have Reolink so I dont think much use for the NVR features of the UDM. Pro (maybe in a few years).

Careful what you wish for, once the first one went I ended up swapping all of my switches over and much more robust but a reasonable spend. Same for me, no need for "Protect" other than possibly the doorbell

I cannot remember now, but doesn't the controller back up the USG settings as well ?

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:00 pm
Korey offline

I upgraded from an Edgerouter lite 3 to a UDMP, and I love it!

All in one unit, I have 6 Unifi Cameras and the doorbell, so I do utilize Protect.

FWIW the unifi Instant G3 wifi camera has an amazing picture and it's only $29.00 USD!

Just waiting on Karl to get Protect added to his wonderful plugin! :D :D

So my vote would be for you to go the UDMP route :wink:

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:37 pm
siclark offline

Typical. Spoke the sales at my supplier and the guy there said his USG3 had died with same symptoms and turned out his was power supply.
I’ve just tried a new one, finally a use for my box of unneeded power bricks and hey presto it’s back to life.
Except it’s back to an old version that needs manual update apparently then provisioned into my cloud hosts system, but at least I’m not out £120.
*I also don’t have a nice new toy though

Posted on
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

*I also don’t have a nice new toy though

It seems you already know what needs to be done to rectify this situation... :-)

Posted on
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:33 pm
siclark offline

Haha. If only. Think I need some more time to decide on options. Now I’d rather the money goes to a new sub after a child poked a hole in the cone.

Posted on
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:16 am
durosity offline

Fwiw the USG-4 is pretty elderly now.. doesn’t seem like a sensible investment.. I think I saw they’re testing replacements in EA at the moment but I imagine it’ll be a while off. I personally use a UDM “Pro” and despite some of the complaints I’ve found it to be a great system. I use it with 10 unifi protect cameras and a G4 doorbell and they work great with indigo via SecuritySpy, but also via HomeKit using homebridge. I’d love to find a way to integrate some of the unifi functionality into indigo.. I know there’s a plug-in for it, but it’s massively over complex for my needs and my little brain.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:22 pm
siclark offline

Cheers. Yeah I think I’ll wait and get the UDM pro when is worth it. I’ll keep eye on USG3 processor stats to see how it’s doing.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2021 3:16 pm
IndigoSam offline

I'm curious about this:

durosity wrote:
I use it with 10 unifi protect cameras and a G4 doorbell and they work great with indigo via SecuritySpy, but also via HomeKit using homebridge.

I've stayed away from Unifi cameras, and therefore UDM Pro, because I got the impression the cameras will only work with Unifi recording equipment (i.e. UDM and the other Unifi NVR). Also that the Unifi NVRs will only work with Unifi cameras. Which was all a bit of a closed system.

Are you saying here that Unifi cameras and UDM do integrate with SecuritySpy?

Sam.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2021 4:02 pm
durosity offline

Yes they can connect to SecuritySpy.. in unifi protect on the UDMP you can see a RTSP stream URL that you can then add to SS.. so rather than SS getting the stream directly from the UDMP rather than the cameras. Alternatively I believe if you ignore the Unifi Protect software you can set the cameras to do it directly but I have no experience of that myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2021 4:15 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I've stayed away from Unifi cameras, and therefore UDM Pro, because I got the impression the cameras will only work with Unifi recording equipment (i.e. UDM and the other Unifi NVR). Also that the Unifi NVRs will only work with Unifi cameras. Which was all a bit of a closed system.

Are you saying here that Unifi cameras and UDM do integrate with SecuritySpy?

It is the other way around... the UniFi cameras can output an RTSP stream that any NVR can work with, but their Unifi Protect software will only work with Unifi cameras, not with other/generic IP cameras.

I switched over to using the Unifi device for output of the cameras to HDMI, but before that was using a Raspberry Pi 4 to combine the streams from the cameras (directly from the camera, not going through the Protect software). The same type of thing could be done to other systems. Keep in mind, though, you won't have central control of the camera I don't believe (or more limited at least) as compared to it on the Protect system. That is, you may have to go straight to the camera's web interface to change settings.

Adam

Posted on
Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 am
Different Computers offline

If you were doing OK with the USG, I don't think you need the UDM **Pro**.

I'm pretty happy with my UDM and the integration with Indigo is very useful. Critically useful to me.

I run IPS on a symmetric 1Gbs fiber line, and lose about 60Gbps because of it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.