Advice Needed on Outdoor Smart Plugs

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:07 pm
SearchCz offline

I've been looking for a couple of Insteon 2634-222 outdoor plug-in modules to handle part of my outdoor lighting goals. I gather that these are no longer available, so now I'm hunting for alternatives. I don't feel great about installing an OutletLinc outdoors, so now I'm looking for alternatives ... especially anything that would be Indigo compatible. Even HUE compatible might cut it for me, as I have a bunch of those lights too and room in my hub. I think my Tp-link DECO mesh system handles SmetThings & ZigBee, so maybe either of those might work too?

Any ideas?

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:01 pm
siclark offline

Re: Advice Needed on Outdoor Smart Plugs

Do they need to be plug in, or are you open to wiring in the lights direct to a relay module contained in an external junction box?

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There area few vendors making outdoor Z-Wave plugs. Because they are simple on/off devices, they generally don't have to have specific support added to Indigo, they should just work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:27 pm
mclass offline

For outdoor lighting and sprinkler control, I use ZWave or Shelly modules in a weatherproof box with cable glands for wiring. I also add an external weatherproof push button to allow local control.

Just make sure that glands and push buttons are mounted on the BOTTOM of the box to maintain effective weatherproofing.

The earliest installation has been operating for 4 -5 years without issues (or leaks!!).

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 pm
DaveL17 offline

I use GE outdoor modules to control my landscape lighting and they have worked well. Only the occasional No Ack (maybe one per year if that).

At some point, I plan to upgrade to something like this (not necessarily the exact one I'll get):
https://www.voltlighting.com/shop/transformers-accessories/clamp-connect-150-watt-12v-15v-multi-tap-low-voltage-transformer

They have a unit that's certified for indoor mounting -- and then I plan to control the lighting zones with a relay device.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:23 am
SearchCz offline

I don't think my Mac is aware of whatever Z-wave traffic I might have in my home. SO I would need to add a dongle of some sort?

jay (support) wrote:
There area few vendors making outdoor Z-Wave plugs. Because they are simple on/off devices, they generally don't have to have specific support added to Indigo, they should just work.

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:25 am
siclark offline

Yes you would need a zwave stick to support zwave modules or plugs.
You could get a shelly module or similar that runs over WiFi

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:30 am
siclark offline

mclass wrote:
For outdoor lighting and sprinkler control, I use ZWave or Shelly modules in a weatherproof box with cable glands for wiring. I also add an external weatherproof push button to allow local control.

Just make sure that glands and push buttons are mounted on the BOTTOM of the box to maintain effective weatherproofing.

The earliest installation has been operating for 4 -5 years without issues (or leaks!!).

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
I second this. It's what I've done with fibaro modules as they have enclosures with push button control that you can mount on a din rail.

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:55 am
mundmc offline

True story, i use cheap zwave on/off controllers with energy monitoring in a plastic box to a) monitor charge to my hybrid and b) act as zwave repeaters to get the signal to my workshop.

Page 1 of 1