IR Tranceiver for Indigo?

Posted on
Wed May 12, 2004 7:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Anonymous wrote:
Hey Matt,
I guess what I'm asking is how do you "use Indigo to send an X10 command (like A1 On) to tell the device to send that IR code" All I can find is the simple options for the different light switches/dimmers etc.
Thanks again,
Eric James

There are a couple of different approaches:

1) Define a new device to represent that particular X10 address. If you just need to send on/off commands to that address, then I would probably choose the device type "Remote Button" from the Type popup menu in the device dialog. Next, click on the Options... button in the device dialog and check "Supports On/Off" command." Now you have a device that for that address (you'll probably need multiple devices since the IR Linc support multiple X10 addresses) Indigo knows to allow the On/Off X10 commands. Next, create your Trigger or Time/Date Action. Within the Action panel choose Send Device Action from the Type popup menu. Now select the Action you want (Turn On or Turn Off) and the device you created at the beginning of the step.

2) This approach is much more straightforward, but requires a line of AppleScript. Within the Action tab for the Trigger or Time/Date Action, choose Execute AppleScript for the Type. Next, put this line in the Embedded edit field:

send x10 on to address A1

Obviously, the second approach is easier. The first one abstracts it out a bit more, but it probably overkill given what you need to do.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:40 am
thom offline

Ooh, could this...

...supplement an X10 UR73A remote? I spent about an hour last night trying to figure out which codes best lined up with all of our AV components. It was frustrating because each of the devices seems to have just ONE or TWO buttons that aren't replicated by this X10 "Universal" remote. (Probably time to get a newer remote, and probably cheaper to do so as well...)

Obviously, I don't think that this would be the ultimate 'best' solution, especially since it would require switching to the X10 button for those 'fill in the gap' codes, then hitting the device's button again to go back to the rest of the functionality (not to mention memorizing which # button does which feature)... plus, if I'm understanding this right, it'd eat up some device codes, but I guess I could put those on a different house code if things started getting cramped, right? :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:45 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Ooh, could this...

I've taken the opposite approach for A/V control. I use a programmable remote control (Home Theater Master MX-500) that can send the IR X10 commands, and then I use the IR-543 to convert those IR X10 commands to normal power line X10 commands that Indigo can use as trigger actions for lighting scenes, etc.

Basically, when I press a button on my MX-500, it sends out a macro of IR commands for setting up my IR equipment (turn on TV, DVD player, TiVo, etc.) then sends a single X10 IR command to the IR-543 which can relay the button press to Indigo, which in turn, sets up the correct lighting scene.

A disadvantage of this approach is that I cannot control my A/V equipment without the programmable remote; Indigo cannot directly control devices. But I like being able to use a nice programmable remote for controlling my A/V equipment.

Regards,
Matt