Virtualization Server

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Virtualization Server

This is not exactly Indigo-specific, but has some hooks... for those of you that are running virtualization on bare metal (i.e. not via Parallels or Fusion or Virtual Box), what are you using? I REALLY like the idea of http://www.antsle.com/ but I think their prices are a bit high.

Not looking to heat the neighborhood (here's looking at you Terry), would like a silent or at least quiet rack mount box -- my two old Dell PowerEdges sound like jet airliners taking off at times. SO I am curious what hardware and software you are running (the free ESXi, AntsleOS, etc. or going with a QEMU style setup).

For reference, thinking of a few applications including extremely low resource needs such as my Postgre for SQL Logger and the Unifi Controller, up to possibly a semi-decent Plex server. Those are the current functions of the two PowerEdge servers. Then expanding out, perhaps test Indigo server or other dev servers, Minecraft server for the kid, etc.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:44 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Virtualization Server

I don't do virtualization (hardware or software), but couldn't you cover some of this stuff with Raspberry Pi's? They could easily handle tasks like logging or the Unifi Controller (I think a Pi would stink as a Plex server if it'll even run on one). I would understand if you didn't want to put your fate in the hands of a Pi, but these seem like pretty low risk applications should things go sideways.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:41 am
RogueProeliator offline

I don't do virtualization (hardware or software), but couldn't you cover some of this stuff with Raspberry Pi's? They could easily handle tasks like logging or the Unifi Controller (I think a Pi would stink as a Plex server if it'll even run on one). I would understand if you didn't want to put your fate in the hands of a Pi, but these seem like pretty low risk applications should things go sideways.

Yeah, I guess that could be a consideration for several operations -- and a good excuse to re-design and re-print that Pi Rack... I don't have a major issue with using the Raspberry Pi in production systems - heck, it is more reliable than some computers.

But, yeah, the Plex server is the main issue -- that is currently handled by a PowerEdge with 2x Quad Core Xeon processors with 32GB of RAM. I don't think the Pi's would keep up!

But, hmm, you give me something to think about... even just reducing that one older PC would cut the noise (and heat) down significantly. And I guess could try something like this for Plex and see what happens, realizing it would still be underpowered comparatively speaking:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-raspberry-pi-alternative-has-an-8th-gen-intel-core-processor-and-16gb-of-ram-but-will-cost-you-almost-800/
That could fit on the Pi rack with some modifications...

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:53 am
peszko offline

I downsized most of my servers and find that a combination of current Mac Mini (for Indigo and streaming) and RPI for Unifi Controller works well, and they are basically silent and take way less power then my monster Mac Pro with external raid array that I used to run before. My 2c.

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:09 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Yeah, I guess that could be a consideration for several operations -- and a good excuse to re-design and re-print that Pi Rack... I don't have a major issue with using the Raspberry Pi in production systems - heck, it is more reliable than some computers.

What ever you do, don't build an iRack!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1